...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

frustrated, incorporated

So where were we?

I hope you're somewhere far more fun and lucrative than I am at the moment. Still. I could blame my lack of writing here on the usual things. Kids have kept me busy. Insomnia's been rocking my nights. Work's been crazy. I mean, life, right?? Sheesh!

Truth is, though, I just didn't feel right coming here and boring you. If this were the old days of blogging when people had music players installed to subject (which is just another word for 'share') readers to their favorite tunes when clicking over to their site (though let it be known I never, ever did this!)(and which, oh, honey, if you're still doing that, you have to stop, yes, you absolutely do), you'd arrive here to an orchestra of sad trombones. Sad trombones and maybe a GIF of that Nazi whose face melts off at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," which, by the way, I'm giving you because it's the right thing to do. Consider it the first step I can make in paying forward all the good things that have come our way in the past five weeks (Happy trombone!).

(also? no more parenthetical remarks for the rest of this post!)

Long story short, we're awesome!

Ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha (::gasps for air::)(that technically doesn't count in my earlier disclaimer) hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

It's five weeks in and I think we're slipping a bit from optimism to straight up worry, and maybe it's too early for that, but no, I think not. There's been some interviews, some odd jobs, and a hearing on unemployment benefits that were contested by Needs A Job Man's former employer. We're waiting on a positive outcome on that matter.

I've been doing some side gigs for our church that involves writing and designing pamphlets and flyers. My only restraints are I can't curse, natch, and I must do all the work in Word, so sky really is the f'n limit there! Additionally, I put on my sad kitty eyes and approached the managers at the bookstore about working some additional hours since this is our only true source of income at the moment. That's worked out for the past two weeks, then comes to a screeching halt next week when I will cash a paycheck that, if I stretch, might reach 10 hours. Believe me when I say it's hard to jot your work schedule down through a cloudy film of tears.

I can't believe this can go on forever, of course. However, I also can't believe I'd come home every afternoon of late to find Needs A Job Man plopped on the couch watching "Dr. Oz," but that's happening. The only good thing about that is, well, for one, at least it's not "Dr. Phil," and two, when I join him, he's able to fill me in on the good man of medicine's idea for some weird spice of supplement that will help rid me of my stress-induced belly fat, to which I say how dare you make reference to my belly fat!

For the record, I don't have stress-induced belly fat. I laugh in the face of stress! I shall have none of you, I say! I shall also have none of this money in my checking account as I pay this month's bills! Begone cash! Join stress in the Great Not Having!

OK, the truth is I've recently discovered that going on the Job Loss Weight Loss (that's mine, don't steal it) Program is really doing wonders for my physique. Another few months of this and I predict I'll finally look like Kelly Ripa, which is all I've ever really wanted.

Well, that and a hundred million dollars, one to two more babies, and, yes, a job for my husband, if for no other reason than he needs a new blog nickname.

And because I want cash to come back. I miss you, cash (::sighs wistfully::)

(oh, come on! did you really think I wasn't going to go without another parenthetical remark?!)

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

Ok, clearly I had not read this before sending you that email. I hope cash makes a triumphant return soon.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:21:00 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Not boring, never boring us, your loyal and entertained readers! To the contrary! Dr. Oz and his strange spice, ha! Used To Be Toolman on couch, not ha... good luck vibes coming your way...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:48:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Sending you many parentheticals (or, better yet, many, many parentheticals) & lots of good thoughts, FADKOG.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Hey, as long as we have enough parenthesis to go around... maybe we could wrap some cash in them? I'm hoping... and soon, truly. Hugs & warm thoughts!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

I discovered last weekend that my husband had never heard of Dr.Oz. The man lives in a sports bubble.

Praying for some QUICK, GREAT outcomes for you, FADKOG.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fighting for earned benefits? Check
Odd jobs? check
Interviews? check
Dr Oz? Dr Oz, seriously? Anyhow ...
Stress? check
Cash? Check minus
Weight loss? Check

We're a year off of being where you are and praying Needs A Job Man finds something soon.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:42:00 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

Hang in there, friend! (And feel free to use all the parentheses you want; we can always get more).

I know these are scary times, but you're right - they won't last forever. The One Who Made You has all the hairs on your heads counted. . . (but I understand - cash would be preferred. . .)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness woman, here are some major hugs for you. Here's hoping things work out. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed even when I'm walking.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Just Two Chicks said...

Oh boy... sounds really stressful, and the church job sounds more stressful, what with no cursing and whatnot.

I'm hoping things will turn around soon for you... it's good you have the bookstore, and I think it's normal for some employers to fight unemployment benefits... I think? Ugh...

Good luck!!!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger cat said...

(Words of encouragement, lots of virtual hugs and all that jazz, included in these parenthesis.)

(If I could also add cash, I would.)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

You are never boring. (I mean, come on, who else would have thought to include the Nazi melting guy?!?!)

Sending wishes of cash to come your way, honey.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger Logical Libby said...

I think your blog should play the song "Eye of the Tiger." You guys have the fight in you. Don't forget that.

Keep your head up. This too shall pass. Hang in there, baby. Where's the beef.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Julie said...

I remember when The Mister was unemployeed (I will NOT say for how long). I typically came home from work to find him on the couch watching movies from Blockbuster (yes, it was a while ago). Please accept these cyber hugs from a total stranger. I'll toss in a few prayers as well.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

i wish i hd the perfect words or the perfect job for you and your man. i'm so sorry for the scary, stressful time in your life. praying for provision and resolution soon.

Friday, March 02, 2012 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you have more reasons to worry than i, and i was caught up in this downward turn of emothion also....return cash, it will come!

Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:23:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin McKeever said...

Wait? You're NOT Kelly Ripa?

Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Pam said...

Kelly Ripa has gotten SO thin that her head looks fake-like a giant pumpkin-y thing that was stuck on there. So if you get down to even a half-Ripa, I'm sending you money for Dairy Queen.
Also, who among us does not love your parentheses? We're never bored here.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:11:00 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I always enjoy your writing (sad trombones and all). I hope this ends for you soon.

Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Homemaker Man said...

Somewhere around here, I have a gourd that looks a little like Regis. I hope that helps. Actually, I just assume that helps. You're welcome.

Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Kate Coveny Hood said...

I wish I could send cash your way - and a job for your husband...

And I had to laugh about the music players. I remember encountering that for the first time and thinking it was SO COOL...the FIRST time...

Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Lisa - My fingers are crossed, and it should be noted, I can still grab cash with them that way! It just needs to come closer.

Bethany - Thank you! I'll take as many of those vibes as I can get!

Mrs. Pretty - (I'll also take all the parenthetical good luck words I can take)(seriously)(thanks!)

Sailor - Hey! That's a good idea! I'll keep my eyes open for that!

Bijoux - Never heard of Dr. Oz? That's being wrapped in a sports bubble, encased in a box and left in the woods kind of stuff!

Xavier - Keep praying! We were awarded unemployment benefits, but still have to wait a week to know if his former company is going to appeal the state's decision.

Craig - My very kind hair stylist gave me a free haircut this week. I love her, but wow, there's a lot fewer hairs on my head to keep counting! :)

Meg - I'll keep sending you some good luck wishes for your goals if you keep on keeping those fingers and toes crossed for me! :)

Just Two Chicks - The nice thing is the state really wants to benefit the unemployed party. The bad part is the company wants to be a jackass! :) We're hoping for no appeals being filed next week, but at least we got this first hurdle crossed.

Cat - (Cash is nice, of course, but I'll take all the other things in its place, too)

justmakingourway - Thank you, friend! Happy to see you here, btw!

logicallibby - I'm like a kitten hanging by my claws in a tree. Or something like that. The Force is strong in this one.

Julie - As I type this, my mister is laying by the dog on the floor in the front room, soaking up some sun, so...I guess that's OK? ;) Of course, he's been busy all week with resumes and such, so I'll grant him this moment.

lime - Thank you. I'm trying to live day by day rather than constantly looking at the weeks and months, and some days that works...and when those days don't, I guess I just look at things hour to hour or minute by minute instead.

Whitemist - I'm willing to leave my doors unlocked and all the windows thrown open for cash to make it's grand entrance sometime soon.

Always - I WISH!! At the very least, I wish I was her arms. And maybe the wife of Mark Consuelos.

Pam - Mmmmm...Dairy Queen...Kelly and I could benefit from a delicious peanut butter cup Blizzard. :) (thank you for the good thoughts!)

William - Thanks for the compliment. Right back at you!

Homemaker Man - Gourd. Pumpkin. A tiny squash. I'll take what I can get.

Kate - I had enough mini heart attacks going to blogs with those music players to know they were no good. Also no good? My ability to remember to turn the volume down on my computer before I'd visit those blogs! :)

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger anymommy said...

Oh. I wish I could blow you a kiss and send a job and less stress and more cash your way. I hope it happens soon and I'll read anything you want to write.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home