...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

'let's all get up and dance to a song that was a hit before your mother was born'

When I was growing up, my bedroom was a purple shrine to all things Duran Duran. Every square inch of the four walls was covered with posters purchased from Coach House Gifts and pinups extracted with surgical precision from BOP magazine. I believe it's safe to say every girl who came of age in the 1980s who had a pulse probably lived in a bedroom like mine.

During the course of my obsession, which is, I'm not going to lie, still sort of with me, my mother was forced to listen to 'Rio' more times than should be legal under some sort of UN treaty. Every time she'd enter my room, she'd ask, "Now, which one is Simon?" and "How come three of them have Taylor for a last name, but they're not related?" and I'd answer "My future husband" and "Some weird twist of fate," and then further educate her on these and all other things pop culture, and I was sure I'd done a pretty good job teaching her. Before I moved away, my mother was aware of Madonna and knew that we shouldn't make eye contact any time she passed by my room as Prince's "Darling Nikki" was blaring from the stereo. I was proud of the pop culture student she'd become.

Cut to this week when mom stopped by my house to give me something she'd found in my old bedroom.


That is an old Nike ad I yanked from a magazine and taped to the back of my childhood bedroom door sometime during my late teens, aka 'The Seriously Angsty Years (Prior To Those Presently Being Experienced).' That, my friends, was the last bastion of my old life, preserved for lo these many years and never uncovered until just recently because my mother no longer has the pleasure of living with a teenage daughter who slams her bedroom door shut in bitter defiance to whatever injustice she feels is being handed her.

(That wasn't me, though. I was the eager to please first born good child.)

Anyway, I couldn't figure out why mom was giving this to me. It's just an old ad, I told her. You could have just tossed this. "I was going to," she replied. "But then I turned it over and, well, I know how much you like the Beatles, so I thought I'd bring it by and let you decide what you want to do with it."

This is what's pictured on the other side:


Ladies and gentlemen - THE BEATLES!!

I think the one in the middle is Paul. The haircut is reminiscent, at the very least. I also think I failed my mom in all things pop culture. Although how a woman who should have experienced life during the height of Beatlemania is this confused is beyond me. If I had a guitar, it would probably gently weep. Perhaps this ad was inspired by the Abbey Road album cover.

Regardless of my failings, I loved that woman when she was 64, and I still do now that she's 66. She makes me happy. Also crazy and exhausted and overwhelmed and irritated and delighted, but mostly happy. So do these other things:
  • Swimming (if for no other reason than it forces me to shave my legs)
  • Finding my INXS Live Baby Live DVD while cleaning and wasting the rest of the afternoon watching it because gah! And swoon! That sea of bodies freaks me out.
  • Stumbling across Improv - Ice Starring Styx on TV this weekend. Figure skating to the music of Styx as performed by the remaining member(s) of Styx? Bring me the cheese!
  • The kind elderly lady who, when I found a book for her today, said, "Cool. Bless your heart!" I needed that.
  • Additionally, the young woman who asked "Where is your erotica?" The word 'erotica' makes me skeevily happy.
  • Saving a ton with coupons. I'm not extreme, but I'm damn efficient.
  • Speaking of my mom, the way she pronounces 'quesadilla.' She doesn't pronounce it as it should be, but rather she's straight up Napoleon Dynamite-style when she says it, and she doesn't even realize she's wrong! I love it.
  • Finally, and without remorse, giving up on The Jersey Shore. No more!
  • Finishing 'The Leftovers' by Tom Perrotta. It's not erotica, but it's good.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Principled Slut said...

LMAO @ the Beatles!

And I love all things books. Might have to look into that one. And some erotica. that's good too. :)

Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Well, you know you warmed my heart with this. The real Beatles stuff, that is - all your sly, lyrical references, sprinkled throughout.

And yeah. . . if I was 8 when the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan, she'd have been 18. And at least two of those ad-persons are girls. Altho, you know, Paul was 'The Cute One'. . . (at least it's not 70s/Wings/mullet Paul. . .)

And, uh, I should probably have nothing at all to say about erotica. . .

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:06:00 AM  
Blogger Leandra said...

Oh Bop magazine, how I loved you. You were the only magazine that occasionally printed pictures of MY beloved, Adam Ant.

Love your Friday lists, too.

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:03:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

Ok, can I just say that John Taylor is still HOT?? And that 'Rio' was probably my fave video ever??

Oh, and like MadameQueen above, I did love my Adam Ant!

Friday, January 20, 2012 9:15:00 AM  
Blogger lime said...

ok, i graduated in 1986. i have to say i was NOT a duran duran fan but when you mentioned prince my heart skipped a beat. oh yea, i was all about prince....and the police.

the beatles eh, god bless your mom. i think she and my mom would get along well.. LOL

fix me another dang quesadiLLa would ya?

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger TheLab said...

The Beatles photo! Oh my GOSH that was hilarious. What a sweetie: "I figured I'd let you decide..." AWWWWWW!!!

Great post!

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

funny how the 08's music opened me up to all music. I styill like the 80's 80 cause it was allways more than just "for me".....

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:21:00 PM  
Blogger 1blueshi1 said...

I wasn't impressed by Tom's Little Children (but I was mighty impressed with myself for reading the book after I heard his NPR interview). Rereading Sharon Shinn's Twelve Houses series ( SO. GOOD. ) And planning to gef Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project next.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As pictures of the Beattles go I think you may have the only remaining copy of that one. Should be worth bunches, maybe Craig would wanna make a bid?

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG this was the funniest thing I've read in a fortnight. A fortnight! Please tell your mom she's so cute that I have a crush on her. :)

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Cat said...

I always feel sad when they leave Ringo out of the photo shoots for The Beatles. Poor guy.

How anyone can actually ask where the erotica section is baffles me. Why do you want people to know you're going there?

On a similar note, don't know about US bookstores, but in Canada they always have the erotica right next to the HORROR section. One second you're looking for a zombie novel and the next you're wondering why they are all having orgies. *shudder*

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

Bitch please, Culture Club were the ONLY BAND OF THE EIGHTIES OMG!

Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe the Beatles sold out like that!
Yay for swimming, I love it too! Glad you're finding some things to make you happy!

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:20:00 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

The one on the left must be Billy Preston. . . ;)

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Logical Libby said...

Didn't your Mom grow up with the Beatles?

And I have two words for you from my childhood: Depeche Mode.

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Kate Coveny Hood said...

Oh my god - that made me LAUGH. I'm sharing this link on Twitter.

Related: Are you on Twitter? Are we friends on Facebook? This is the year that I master social media! Or at least remember all of my passwords.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:50:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

"If I had a guitar, it would probably gently weep." THAT IS WHY I LOVE YOU.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:04:00 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Oh my. The Beatles? I thought my mom was bad when she would get Rick Springfield and Bruce Springsteen confused. LOVED this post, FADKOG!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:17:00 PM  
Anonymous jds said...

I cut that ad out, too. Great to see it again!

Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home