...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, June 27, 2008

'fill my eyes with that double vision...'

The other morning, my husband and I were watching a national morning news programs when the band Chicago appeared on the screen, telling us to stay tuned for their performance after the commercial break.

"Hey, Chicago, without Sting, what's really the point?" Tool Man asked the TV screen, and then flipped his thumb toward the TV and turned to me with a grin that was all, "And you say I don't know anything about music. Pffft!"

"Oh my GOD! Are you kidding me?" I cried.

"What? Do people even care about Chicago if Sting's not up front?" he responded.

Stunned, I said, "Fans of The Police probably don't care about Chicago, baby. To the members of Chicago, this no doubt breaks their hearts."

He gave me an embarrassed look, but refused to admit his knowledge of music is squat. "Good thing you charmed me with your adoration and cuteness, because it's the only way I could look past the fact you proudly own Taco's cassette and end up married to you."

I'm tempted to ask my friend Chag at Cynical Dad if he'd be willing to school Tool Man in the musical arts. I'm hoping my guest post at his site today might warm him up to the idea. When he asked me to swing by his place while his family enjoyed a vacation this week, I thought, "Well, that's just like giving a stalker keys to the place and asking them to dig around in your fridge and paw in your underwear drawer! So yeah, when you leavin'?" Then I acted calm and naturally agreed! Please go over there, read my love letter, and drop a comment. Don't forsake me, people! If you and I ever meant anything to each other ever, you'd do this for me. You know I'd do it for you!


********************

Before you go, though, take a look below here. See that other post? It's by Aphron at Foolish Mutterings. He's here as part of the Great Blog Swap of 2008, which was initiated by FTN as a means of allowing interested bloggers to infiltrate another, purely agreeable blogger's home for a guest post today. Through a no doubt scientific selection process, Aphron is visiting here today, so if you're inclined, please leave comments for him on his post, then visit FTN and see where others are hanging out.

What's that? You're wondering if, since there's a guest blogger here, does that mean I have ANOTHER guest post out there on the internets today? You all are so sweet! Have I told you that lately? You are. Sweet as brownies. The answer is yes, I do, in fact, have another post up at Therese's blog, Therese In Heaven. That post mentions sex, so hey, go visit and comment there, too!

That's it for me. Seriously. I'm beat from all the writing I've done this week. And TWO posts for ONE day?! Sheesh! Exhausting! I don't know how you people who post every day do it. My only guess is you're all a bunch of prolific wizards, and I just can't seem to pull off the pointy hat.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Backpacking Dad said...

Stalk stalk stalk.

Tool Man needs to be placed in a room where the only sounds he can hear are "Glory of Love" and "Fields of Gold" played alternately for 2 days and then asked, politely, if he can tell the difference between Peter and Sting yet.

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

BP Dad - Are you wearing a shirt out there, peeking in my windows? You better be wearing a shirt.

Dude, that difference between Peter and Sting? I KNOW! I told him the same thing! Hell, I even sang him some Peter-era Chicago. Tool Man is STILL clueless. God help me, I am blinded by his adorable face.

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Bet Sting and his tanctric sex ways would not be at all thrilled to hear he's fronting Chicago.

Maybe Tool Man can send him a MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE to clue him in!!

(damn, I'm so funny!!)

Hallie

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:26:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

Scientific selection process. [Snort.] Yeah, that's it.

Sting is the frontman for Europe, right? No? Boston?

And you are REALLY getting around with the blog-writing these days. I hope you are practicing safe blogging.

Friday, June 27, 2008 8:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least he tried. Sort of. He obviously still wants to impress you.

(We're going to see the Police in two weeks! Yeah!)

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:48:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Haha...that was the first thing I thought when I read that....Uh, doesn't he mean Peter Cetera? Or does he think you meant The Police? LOL. Yah he needs to be seriously schooled :)

Friday, June 27, 2008 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

you ARE exaggerating the Sting conversation - right? And you are kidding about Taco - right? RIGHT?

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger 1blueshi1 said...

reminds of the time I was listening to a Cream CD & a friend asked me, "Oh, are you a big Eric Clapton fan?"
Apparently, the answer was no....but I do love me some Cream!

Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:40:00 AM  
Blogger David said...

there are many bands I mix up. Those 2 would not be on my list. Funny post though.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:34:00 AM  
Blogger Bee said...

The hubs has never listened to either band. :o(
He is soooo musically deprived. (And depraved)

Saturday, June 28, 2008 9:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin McKeever said...

Does this mean Peter Cetera is not fronting the Police when I see them in August? Rip. Off.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger That girl from Shallotte said...

Wait, what? I was at the nerd table in the cafeteria listening to "You're the Inspiration" on my Walkman and lamenting Bill Gates' retirement while the cool kids were swapping yearbooks...

Saturday, June 28, 2008 2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Manager Mom said...

Damn... you are a busy woman.

Poor Tool Man... his musical ignorance laid bare for the world to see...

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:22:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

I'd like to hear who he thinks sings for U2?

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:35:00 AM  
Blogger David said...

thank you for your warm kind comment on my post today. It means a lot to me.
David

Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

I'm trying to envision Sting singing in front of all that brass. . . Nope, it's just not working. . .

Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to say hello to my fave diff kinda gal!! hope you are having a great weekend!

Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I saw the Police when they toured through Seattle last year. Peter sounded pretty good... ;-)

Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

WWoW - I bet Peter Cetera wishes he was big in the tantric sex world. And I have just successfully grossed myself out. Good job, me.

ftn - Peter Cetera tried to fill in as the lead singer of Warrant, and a bass player for Guns and Roses. He still sucked.

Sorry, Peter, if you Google yourself from time to time.

Weirdgirl - If Sting starts singing You're the Inspiration, seek a refund on your tickets immediately!

Wethyb - I've spent nearly 14 years trying to school the man. I just have to accept the fact he's cute, I suppose!

Motherbumper - I wish! This post comes to you free of harsh chemicals and exaggeration!

1blueshi1 - I've never met anyone who's afraid to admit they're a fan of some Cream!

David - I still today get those two guys from Milli Vanilla mixed up, but I am spot on with these two groups!

Bee - How has Andy made it through his formative years and not listened to either the Police or Chicago?! That's insane!! Did he never once go to a high school dance?!

Always Home - But just think what the Police could do with 'Hard Habit To Break'!

That Girl - I was the one trying to weasel my way in to the cool crowd. Look for me down on the end of the row and we'll hang out!

Manager Mom - My hope is that one day, Tool Man doesn't decide to start his own blog and lay my stuff out there for the world!

Cocotte - I just asked him. He said "Richard Marx?"

Ha! No. He knows. Only because He knows I'd leave him immediately to be Mrs. Hewson and do good deeds for the world as Bono's wife.

David - My pleasure!

Des - What's this madness?! Des on a Sunday?! It's almost as incomprehensible to me as Sting fronting Chicago and busting out with '25 or 6 to 4'

katie - Hope you are doing well...I've been wondering about you...

Michael - I bet Peter really can sell "King of Pain"!

Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:21:00 PM  
Blogger Bogart said...

I love both Chicago and Sting...and as I was reading I was racking my brain trying to figure out when they ever worked together...then I figured it out...the Toolman is Crazy.

Could you imagine "Every Breath You Take" with trumpets in the background?

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Bogart - I shudder to think. I bet "Roxanne" would have rocked hardcore, though.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home