...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, September 25, 2009

oops, i did it again!

So last night, with homework finally done and peace in the land once again brokered, I sat down prepared to soak in the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy, which I was looking forward to because my Tool Man and I spent a recent weekend watching 17 episodes from last season that were clogging our DVR. Before you say anything, just let me say I know. I know that Grey's Anatomy is hardly Shakespeare. I know it's ripe with trite moments, and seriously, believe me, I have paused the action plenty of times to question how it is doctors have so much time to sleep with one another in tiny closets throughout Seattle Grace. Don't even get me started on how amazing it is that they're also always able to schedule surgeries for the very same day and that complicated brain surgeries take mere minutes.

I know. Because it's a television show. "It's not real, honey," is what I always say to Tool Man when he goes off on one of his science fiction programs, though I do think there would be something oddly satisfying about knowing there could be a mega shark terrorizing the oceans.

Anyway, long story short, my night was set. Until I turned the TV, fired up the DVR, and discovered no McDreamy. None. Because my very own McDreamy had chosen to record two different shows at the same time Grey's Anatomy was broadcast. Like those 17 hours (14 1/2 if you count fast forwarding through the commercials) we'd spent like slugs on our couch a couple weekends ago meant nothing to him. Needless to say, this made me want to be entirely angsty like a fictional television doctor, and perhaps preface and end my rant with a thoughtful voice over.

Tool Man, of course, pretended he forgot how to cancel a previously set recording on the DVR in order for Grey's Anatomy to be recorded. Thanks to the knowledge I have gleaned from that medical drama, I was able to diagnose him with something called "Convenient Amnesia Because You Have To Watch That Stupid Show 'Supernatural'." He's just lucky this doesn't require removing a portion of his frontal lobe.

Alas, it also isn't cured with sex in the linen closet, either.

Well, it might, but I don't think it would be covered under his insurance.

So my night, while not ruined, left me a little dejected. Would have been a perfect time to maybe write a post here, but I think I have a case of serious writer's block that may be incurable. At the very least, it may involve a complicated series of tense and down to the wire organ donations.

However, that doesn't mean I haven't been writing at all! Remember a couple weeks ago when I shared one or 18 links to Polite Fiction and the chunk of a growing story there that I had written? Well, guess what? I'm there again today! Have you been reading along? Oh, you should! There are some really damn fantastic writers there, and then there's me. We'd love if you read and chimed in with your thoughts. Do you see that totally kick ass button for Polite Fiction over there to the left? Click on it. It'll take you to a world of mystery, intrigue, and veiled baking references. And cursing. Yes. Remember what I said last time? Art is messy? Yeah. It's gotten messier. We're about twenty uses of the f-word away from being a Tarantino movie.

So after all this, what's the moral of the story, Meredith Grey? Sometimes you get what you weren't expecting. The one you love will give you ghosts when you expected grief. A woman suffering from potentially fatal writer's block will pace her kitchen, stare at the pile of drafts littering her files, and spend a crazy amount of time worrying her four-paragraph contribution to a kick ass fiction writing blog will be the mega shark that emerges from the murky depths that she'll then have to jump over.

Or something like that. I don't know. What I do know is this:
  • Please go check out the latest at Polite Fiction. Except the latest won't make a lot of sense if you haven't been following along. Wind back. Savor it. There are people there who love words and know how to use them in ways that should be illegal. And then, of course, there's me.
  • The title of this particular post actually does make sense.
  • Please don't tell me what happened on the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy. Thanks to this new-fangled thing called The Internet, I'll be watching online tonight while plotting ways to regain control over the DVR.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger motherbumper said...

"Convenient Amnesia Because You Have To Watch That Stupid Show "Supernatural""

And people say that you don't learn anything from television. Like you, all of my medical training is from television and no one has died on my watch (yet).

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Shame on Tool Man.

You can always watch it online.

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

(Here is where I feign ignorance as to the title of your post) - What? What did you do again? And why do you throw that title phrase out there like I should catch some reference to something, probably a pop song, or something? (I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the Beatles. . .)

You make some good points re doctors and all the time they have for linen-closet rendezvous-es (what is the plural form of 'rendezvous'?). I mean, healing the sick is so blase, what with all the hot (and apparently, hot-to-trot) nurses and lady-docs roaming the halls. But then - IT'S JUST A TV SHOW, isn't it?

And I'm sorry, when you mentioned 'organ donation', my mind went instantly to you and the Tool Man in the linen closet. 'Cuz that's just how my mind rolls, sometimes. . .

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:48:00 AM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

I'm very behind on catching up with Polite Fiction - so I appreciate the link(s)! (Also? Stop telling us how bad you are in light of the rest of the authors. You wouldn't BE there is those people didn't WANT you to be there. Mkay?)

Friday, September 25, 2009 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Aunt Juicebox said...

Hey, that Mega Shark and Giant Octopus could have been totally real.

Friday, September 25, 2009 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Brian o vretanos said...

It's a great pity that Tool Man hasn't been watching GA - from the knowledge gleaned he might be able to do some brain surgery and cure your writer's block in mere minutes. No doubt he has all the necessary saws and drills and stuff.

Friday, September 25, 2009 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Bex said...

i promised myself that i won't make fun of you for watching grey's anatomy, based on the fact that you might make fun of me if you knew what is on my DVR.

DVR's are so intimate.

re: polite fictions, i can't wait to get hooked on another blog i don't have time to read! i need a clone.

Friday, September 25, 2009 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Carolyn...Online said...

I have to say it's been very liberating letting go of network television. I didn't mean to let it go, and we still have every cable channel known to man or beast, but somewhere along the way I lost any and all control of the remote. I'm not even sure how it happened. But there you have it. Now it's all Monster Quest and Car Auctions all the time.

Friday, September 25, 2009 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

This is how I'm going to feel if I find out Tom forgot to DVR The Office last night.

Looking forward to checking out Polite Fiction.

Friday, September 25, 2009 1:29:00 PM  
Blogger MereCat said...

What a lame-o I am. I am so glad tv's back on! I missed greys last night too, but plan to watch it on the internet when I get a chance. I hate football season.

Friday, September 25, 2009 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

I just wish I had some writing talent. Polite writing that is....

Friday, September 25, 2009 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

As much as "Grey's" can irritate me - I even fired it for two seasons when it seriously did the science-fiction shark jumping with that ferry crash - I do like the Mer voiceover. Wouldn't it be comforting to have a superficially meaningful, yet polite voiceover to begin and end the day with?

Speaking of f words in stories, you should have heard me when my own personal husband TiVoed "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons" instead of "Tori & Dean".

(I kid - sort of - but seriously speaking of f words, I really am off to check out your polite fiction work this time).

Friday, September 25, 2009 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger The Stiletto Mom said...

Gah...we had the same thing with Melrose Place though I suspect it was more him never scheduling it.

Go watch it on ABC.com!

Friday, September 25, 2009 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger blissfully caffeinated said...

I'm sorry, but your Tool Man must die. It's unfortunate, but he should've learned to keep his hands off the DVR.

Friday, September 25, 2009 6:44:00 PM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

You know, there's nothing worse than heating up your dinner and sitting down to enjoy a nice pre-recorded show only to discover that someone forgot to reset the VCR clock when the electric went out for the one millionth time.

We all have our issues......

Friday, September 25, 2009 7:49:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

Which is why we have 2 DVRs. We may be eating crackers for dinner but by god we will have our his and hers TVs! ;o)

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:17:00 PM  
Blogger thatgirlblogs said...

oh please tell me he's been severely reprimanded. ie things have been withheld...

Friday, September 25, 2009 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

It's okay the premiere was sort of boring to be honest..

Saturday, September 26, 2009 12:31:00 AM  
Blogger Kate Coveny Hood said...

You can watch the premiere online (www.abc.com) - we have no DVR, so that's how I catch up on most of my favorite shows.

I started watching Grey's a couple of years ao when I was on maternity leave with the twins (caught up on Netflix). I have no shame. I love it. I have zero expectations for TV to reflect reality. It's pure entertainment for me. I like to escape.

I wish I hadn't discovered Netflix and online episodes... I miss the days when I could say that the only show that I watched on TV was Lost.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Jay Andrew Allen said...

Given that I stayed up until past midnight watching the two hour Heroes premiere, I'm in no position to lambaste anyone's soft spot for day-of brain surgery.

Dammit. Now I feel snark-deprived.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Given our newfound mandate to make PF sexxxier, I'm pretty sure you can find a way to work the linen closet in next time.

Also: you are the Mega Shark. Goo goo ga joob.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

motherbumper - Everything I know is courtesy of television, pamphlets, and hearsay. I'm thinkin' of tryin' for a scholarship.

Under the Influence - Shame on him, indeed! Especially since he watches Grey's Anatomy, too!

Des - OK, when I logged on, this was going to be some brief little blurb about how I'd written another Polite Fiction post (thus the title) and then I found myself rambling. I know. Odd. :)

Just Making My Way - M'kay, sweets. Thanks for the pep talk!

Aunt Juicebox - Because I just *KNOW* Bigfoot is real, there's a part of me that believes there really is a mega shark and giant octopus. Absolutely.

Brian - You are genius! He finally cleaned the garage out this weekend, and I'm positive there are drills out there just like the ones used on TV. He should look into a medical practice on the side to help with our bills.

Bex - Oh, honey, I record Jonas every weekend on Disney, so trust me, I *totally* get how intimate a DVR can be!

Carolyn - To be honest, I'm ready to break up with a lot of the shows I watch, and only have hot remorse viewings from time to time.

Anna - Lucky for us, we got The Office. I'm still trying to figure out how to "accidently" lose Supernatural, though.

MereCat - We still haven't watched yet. I've been wrapped up this weekend watching the second seaon of Mad Men, and now I have an entirely new TV show crush.

Savage - It's all about please and thanks you's...

Legallyblondemel - I almost just broke up with Grey's for good last year when it took us until a couple weeks ago to watch 17 episodes on our DVR, but that damn thing just keeps pulling me in. Now, Heroes? I'm done with it. Bleh.

Stiletto Mom - Happily, nothing conflicts with my recording of 90210 (the new one) which, alas plus sigh, I do still watch, but Melrose Place would have been pushing it.

blissfully caffeinated - I really, really should have written this whole 'hands off the remote' thing in our wedding vows.

Cocotte - Amen, sister. Amen.

Bee - Oh, I dream of such a day! Two DVRS?! I think I see angels...

thatgirlblogs - Trust me. There's been consequences!

WhisperingWriter - That's what I'm afraid of, but damn if I'm not a slave to that show!

Kate - I still need to sit down and watch it online. My quest for watching Dexter, too, means I really need to get a Netflix subsription. DVD sets are the way we need to go.

Jay - I watched the last three episodes of last season's Heroes about two weeks ago, and then I reluctantly watched the 2 hour premiere last week. And then I remembered why I said two weeks ago I wasn't going to bother with that show anymore. I feel you, mister.

TwoBusy - I'm mandating that from now on, whenever the word sexxxier is used, it includes the triple threat use of X. Also? You're totally my giant octopus.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:28:00 PM  
Blogger Chasity said...

DVR...dare to dream. We're still in the dark ages regarding TV programming (one TV, the most basic cable, and no way to record programs)- we throw the remote in the middle of the floor and treat it like a football fumble. To be the winner, the victor must come up with the remote AND no broken ribs. I don't win often, especially on Sundays in the fall.

Monday, September 28, 2009 7:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home