...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

one of these things is not like the other

A few weeks ago, I logged onto my laptop, fired up my email account, and unearthed a couple emails from the ever-charming TwoBusy and clll asking if I'd like to be part of a writing project being cooked up among a handful of blog authors. Their initial emails were rather mysterious, but they used flattering words and I was having what could best be described as a colossally horrible day when they foolishly chose to lure me, and so I bit. It should be noted that this is pretty close to the way my Tool Man snared my heart and took me for his very own, lo these many moons ago. Apparently, if you refer to me as 'darling' or 'captivating' - which I'm not saying the above mentioned two men did, at least not necessarily in that order - I'm a pretty easy catch. So I was in.

Aha! THEN they told me their project - dubbed Polite Fictions - involved the participants creating a work of fiction, each one contributing their part to bring the story - whatever the story may be - to life. And that is when I panicked and considered pretending I was a 14 year old Japanese boy who had hacked onto Fadkog's account and agreed to this madness while also clearing out her measly bank account. Friends, I haven't written a piece of fiction in nearly 20 years when my college advisor and I made up an unaccredited minor in creative writing when I was a semester away from graduating. Remember that time when I said I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up? Yeah. There was no, nor is there to this day, creative writing minor at the college I attended.

(I just realized this may make me a trailblazer! Cool!)

Anyway, the only work of fiction I've been capable of for years is the weight on my driver's license, so admittedly, I was freaked out by the idea of jumping in on this project, but, I already told them I was in, and then TwoBusy spent far too much time talking me down. Did I mention he's charming? He's totally charming. So charming, in fact, that I think he thought he'd softened the blow enough to reveal to me the other INCREDIBLY TALENTED, FAR MORE GIFTED, BETTER QUALIFIED TO CALL THEMSELVES WRITERS who are also taking part in Polite Fictions and when he did, I began singing Alanis Morisette's Uninvited to him. "I don't belong here," I crooned.

Then I also dry heaved. Searched the internet for ways to render myself useless by breaking both my arms in the least painful way imaginable. Called ACTUAL 14 year old Japanese boys to inquire about blog hacking. Allowed TwoBusy to speak to me like Hannibal Lector as my scheduled day for posting at this new site approached.

And I caved because if there is one thing I am, it's a sucker for someone who asks me if the lambs have stopped crying.

So today's the day when my contribution posts at Polite Fictions and all those links to the site are my way of asking (pretty please) for you to go there and check it out. Seriously. Please. Start at the beginning and marvel at the way far better and more gifted writers are spinning this story, then read my entry and be nice. Then, I beg you, go back regularly to see how the story unfolds. Sure, there's curse words there. Whatever. Art is messy sometimes, yo. There's a pretty good chance some of us will have additional installments in this story. There's also a good chance the others will forget to tell me that, though, so I won't. Anyway, did you notice who else is writing at Polite Fictions? Check out that sidebar! That's what I'm talking about! You're going to want to know how this turns out!

Now, if you'll forgive me, I'm off to the mall with my new 14 year old buddy. His name is Shouhei, but I just call him...wait for it...Seth. You're not supposed to be here, anyway. You're supposed to be at Polite Fictions. Read there and leave some love, please! What are you waiting for? A picture of my boobs? HAHAHAHA! Go. Now. Scoot!

Here's the link one more time in case you missed it

Labels:

20 Comments:

Anonymous TwoBusy said...

We'll discuss your post later over some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Badass Geek said...

Consider it read.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

What's the link again? I think I missed it.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

Sadly, I still recognize the Sesame St. reference after all these years.

Maybe you should consider getting PAID for these works of fiction?

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Bex said...

i used your post title in my post from yesterday! great minds think alike.

i will venture over to polite fictions when i get another free moment (sorry, i spent my only free moment reading about what i should be reading ;-)

is there not a wikihow regarding breaking your own arms? hmmm.... i'm truly surprised by that.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Ooh, can't wait to check this out later!

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 2:59:00 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

What a brave soul you are! I read the story from the beginning - that is - if it started at the end of August. How daring and nerve-wrecking it is to pick up the storyline where the last person left off. Good for you! You did an excellent job!

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:46:00 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Great job!

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 6:54:00 PM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

You are way to hard on yourself, sister! One of these things is definitely like the others - excellent!

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:29:00 PM  
Blogger MsPicketToYou said...

PS: FADKOG want to french kiss me and remove my bra and that's mostly because I teed her off with a chick named Charlie.

PSS: FADKOG can write peeps. Trust me and my bra.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:59:00 PM  
Blogger Divine Chaos said...

you did a great job! .. as did the others ;) I'll be going back to keep reading. I might even remember to comment next time :p

Thursday, September 03, 2009 7:27:00 AM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

You are in good company there, and the others on the side bar are in good company with you.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 7:44:00 AM  
Blogger Christina Lee said...

fabulous!!! I am going there now!!!

Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:50:00 AM  
Blogger Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Can't seem to find the link to the sight!!! ;) Hee hee - I'm off to check it out!

Hallie

Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger The Savage said...

much with my lust for you

Thursday, September 03, 2009 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

It's great fadkog, I love it!

Good for you, and you have just as much talent as anyone, so keep going.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:30:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy B! said...

I'm heading over right now!

And you need to quit selling yourself short! We love your writing!! Why do you think we come here all the time (well except for when I get all behind and stuff.)?

Friday, September 04, 2009 6:47:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy B! said...

So I lied last week. I just headed over a minute ago... I intended to head over Friday but those darn kids of mine wanted to be played with and fed...

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 8:32:00 AM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

So I am late on this even though I started reading this last week. Of course, I started reading it backward. Duh, wg.

Anyway. Loved your piece! Very, very nice. Yours and BHJ's were my favorite sections. I can't honestly say I think the entire piece pulled together as a whole but I like the nature of this type of collaborative writing. I think you added some earthy weight to the characters and their relationship. And I liked how BHJ started tying the relationship together with that sort of metaphysical element.

Very cool stuff. I hope you write some more!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

I'm so very, very late in coming back here to thank off of you for indulging my request that you read my entry in this Polite Fictions mash-up - THANK YOU! Also, thank you for the kind words and support given to me. Seriously, I don't think I can stress enough how worked up I made myself over this! Your kind words definitely help. I'm going to remember them as I get stressed again later this week over having to dive back in over there!

Speaking of diving back in, I hope you're still checking in on the progress of the story over there. New people! New twists! New ways to curse! WOOT!

Sunday, September 20, 2009 3:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home