...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

all boy

I'm quite mad for these boys.

Technically, I'm quite mad for all the boys in my house. There isn't one of them who has the sole lock on me, and it's not just me who is the charming one around here.

(But I do my best to make them think that! As the only girl, I gotta do my thing!)

But this kid can make my heart burst. He's a performer. He'd sweep through a curtain with true flair and perform for you should there be one. There should be, really. It really can be quite a show.

The bandage is one of six at various points on his body meant to soothe the battle wounds of a kindergarten physical. Now three days out and worn, he refuses to remove them. Once again, he wins.

The doctor visit did actually make a bit of my heart burst. I watched these boys of mine step on scales and answer questions and make faces in the exam room mirror (please, even I do that when visiting the doctor!) and it felt like I had handed away their time as infants and now I have these two children. Children who are not babies. Who talk back and are messy and can smell strange and like things I can't possibly understand and who sometimes really do burst my heart. I'm giving this one up to the world in a few months, and honestly, that thought sometimes stops me in my tracks.

On the way home from the doctor visit, after my oldest son bravely hopped back on the exam table for an inoculation he didn't know he would have to get in order to show his younger brother the four (FOUR!!) he was going to receive was not so bad, I drove without the radio going, no interruptions, just so I could listen to them in the backseat. They hashed out their battle scars. Whose shots were the worst to endure. How much braver one of them was in the face of those giant needle wielding nurses who bore down on them just moments ago. Who got the better bandage. It became a contest I was called in to mediate. When I informed them of the many shots I had taken to the face in the past and how I'd bravely endured them, they conferred quickly from their posts and declared it impossible that I could be so strong in the face of such adversity.

"Don't you realize, silly woman, that what we just experienced was the epitome of needle warfare the likes of which no man has ever experienced before nor likely ever will?!" they exclaimed clearly through the simple use of the phrase "uh uh!"

I let them think what they want, of course. There's no arguing with those two. And I'd really rather not. Because even though I am charming, they always win.

Usually.

And that's not so bad.

12 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Oh, why does time pass us by like we are standing still?
I would love to have heard them in the backseat, that would be charming. :)
Right now, mine are in love with the Buggles, Video Killed the Radio Star--Zoe tells Nick that he must sing the 'boy' parts and he pisses her off by chiming in to all of the 'girl' parts. And then, we listen again....ugh, but ahhh :).

nhlaoy

Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:14:00 AM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

WAIT! wait! I've got one!
"Let's hear it for the boy, let's give the boy a hand..."

He is rocking the bugs bunny bandaid, though personally I prefer the smurfs.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:35:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Your motherly pride in your wounded little warrior is so touching. I am impressed by how well you 'get' the whole 'mother-of-boys' thing. Molly always figured that she'd do better with boys than girls, having had seven brothers and all, but the whole 'hormonal differential' thing has taken her a bit by surprise (that and the fact that the kids all get half their DNA from me, and I remain just a little mysterious to her, dontcha know). . .

Sweet post, my dear. . .

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this post! It was like a giant hug, of the "I want a couple of those those" kind. The boys, not the band aide really. Ive had my fill of the boo boos lately.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Aw, poor little guy! I can always sympathize with anyone getting stabbed, having very tiny veins myself, I am not a fan of the needle. I once left the lab with no fewer than 37 stab wounds to both arms, wrists and the backs of both hands..so not kidding. You give him an extra little hug from me, and let him wear that band aid as long as he needs to. They didn't even *OFFER* me a fun bandaid. HRMPH!
Stacie
you know what...give him a cookie too, give both of them a cookie. I really feel their pain right about now..

Thursday, June 21, 2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger FTN said...

You've totally gone all mommyblogger on us, haven't you.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Therese in Heaven said...

A very sweet post. A cousin told me once that there's nothing quite as special as the love between mothers and their boys. I don't have a girl, so can't compare, but I definitely think its special.

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain and pride only fast forward it about 12 years.

Friday, June 22, 2007 9:13:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Nanette - It probably passes that fast so we can forget the times we were frustrated and pulling at our hair. So we forget how we answered the same vague questions over and over again until we quit trying to come up with a plausible answer and just made something up. And, of course, so we could wish it all back.

I'm coming over and I'm going to rock it on "Video Killed The Radio Star" with those kids of yours! I'll even do the boy part if it will make Zoe happy. I'll not even tell her I also have a version by The Presidents of the United States of America that's all boy!

RS - I was going to bust out with some "Footloose" love, but I figured - accurately, of course! - that I could count on you, my friend!

He had an assortment of bandages. I think under that Bugs Bunny one was a Spiderman one. The rest of his body was a walking billboard for other characters. Personally, and at no real surprise to anyone, I'd have opted for the Barbie bandage.

Desmond - Thank you, you dear man. I don't know that I "get" the mom to boy thing so well. I mean, no one told me that they can be so, hmmm, musky and on the go nonstop and loud (oh so very loud) all the time! Maybe I don't notice is as much as I should because of all that drinking I do in the afternoons.

Yeah...heh. I don't have time to drink, what with all the time I'm spending concocting ways to embarrass them in public and whatnot.

Terry - We could probably work out some type of weekend visitation program. They truly eat very little, seem to get along well together, and are beyond pleased if you can supply a somewhat steady diet of Cartoon Network and "Full House" reruns. They do, however, have a pesky "let's get up at the crack of dawn" problem I can't seem to break them of.

Stacie - Oh, I'm also no fan of the needle, but I've endured my fair share! When I left the hospital after delivering my oldest, I looked like a crack addict. My arms were bruised the length of them because of the nurse's inability to put the needle for the IV in. They finally called the Life Flight crew nurse in. Also, now when I donate blood, I'm inclined to ask for a specific person to take it from me or I end up looking the same way. I have, apparently, frustrated veins!


FTN - Panties, BOOBS!, dolphins, bullets, lowercase ranting and BOOBS! Any of that help any? Shall I post about the time I had The Sex actually in front of my front window? BOOBS!

Therese - One day I'd like to speak to the whole "mother of girls" theory, but for now, I just watch my sister and her two girls and wonder if it's as frustrating as it appears sometimes with the little power struggles and need to get the last word in. Or if my sister was just simply blessed with two girls exactly like she was as a child and somewhere, God is smiling.

Finished - Lalalalalalala...I'm going to pretend you didn't say that. That will put me at college graduation level with my oldest, and I'm barely able to sustain the idea my youngest is going off to kindergarten in the fall!

Friday, June 22, 2007 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

It's quite alright... Embrace the mommyblogger within you. You can still dance on the hood of the minivan, I won't tell anyone. :-)

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd say your quite the hip Mum little lady. Nice to see you enjoying some quality time with your lads.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:33:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

ftn - If your band dresses up and plays in the garage across the street, I'll surely be compelled to dance atop the mini. And you won't have to tell anyone. No doubt it will be captured and splayed across YouTube for the world to make snide comments about.

But I'd still do it, of course!

Nocturnal - Thanks for the 'hip Mum' thing. I'll have to remember that as I'm making yet another peanut butter sandwich for them!

Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home