...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

only time will tell if you can break the spell

So let's say we've reached the second act of my movie and the soundtrack has really started to pick up. You know that point in a film where the characters look at each other and wonder what the hell they're doing? Or maybe one of them does. Hell, I don't know. I just like watching.

That's like 94 percent of what life feels like sometimes. At least from where my character stands. For grins, I imagine I'd be standing in the middle of a busy road while cars (not even honking or anything!) would whiz by me. Taking off some place. I look stellar, by the way. Everything just so.

Then you hear this creep in:



As the song nears the end, you're going to think a variety of things. First - wow, videos in the 90s were so very high concept when they didn't just involve some "live" performance shot. Second - did our protagonist have that same short, short haircut? Yes. I did. I thought it looked good. Then I saw pictures of myself. Why no one spoke up is beyond me. I try not to hold it against them to this day. Third - I tried the smokey black eye make up stuff a few times. I just looked like a crack whore on a three day shake down.

But back to the film. The faintest little smile would erupt on my lips as the music faded out and the cars whizzed by.

Second "by the way: moment - I love the word "erupt". Can't tell you why. Just do.

So with that smile, my character turns around, looks for a break in the traffic, and then dashes off to the safety of the sidewalk. At that point, she doesn't know she'd do it again, though. But the audience does. She's weak, that protagonist. That "never again" part would mean the movie ends with no resolution, after all.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger cat said...

Holy crap! I had completely forgotten about that song. I used to love it, especially the crazy evil part in the middle.

I have always said, and even wrote it in one of my songs, "Wouldn't life be better if it only had a soundtrack?"

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:50:00 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

i never thought about my soundtrack....i wonder what it is? for some reason all i hear circus music in my head.

i've never heard this song before. but that woman looks crazy as hell.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Run to the goodness and light my sweet! Leave that crazy crack whore in the dust! Goodness-and-light!

qcwntcda

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too forgot about that tune, that's been a while.

Cheers

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:35:00 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

I don't remember this song..
I can't pull off that smokey eyeshadow look either..even when I'm wearing my black lipstick, I just look..well..like you said, crack ho...

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Cat - If my life actually had a soundtrack, I'd get nothing done during the day, and honestly, my grasp on that ability is pretty light as it is now! But it would be so very cool!

Kimmyk - I've found my soundtrack has a lot of skips in it lately. And there are always like 2 or 3 songs on it that really suck.

But circus music would rock! I can see that, totally!

Nan - You're my sunshine, sweets! Please don't let me go back to the dark corners again! Hella creepy!

Nocturnal - I may actually be the only person who ever owned a Shakespeare's Sister release. On cassette. Still have it. Anyone willing to admit the same, step up.

Stacie - Browsing a magazine tonight, I discovered that crack whore is actually in for the season! Time for me to hit Walgreens and stock up on the eyeliner and dark shades! I would, truly, look like the chick in the middle of that clip. I dance about as well, too!

Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:49:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

Your last couple of posts would be much easier to comment on if I could actually view YouTube videos at work.

Since I can't tell which songs these are, I'm just going to assume it's all Menudo, all the time.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:06:00 AM  
Blogger April said...

lmao @ FTN...

i really don't have a comment for this...i'll just blame it on my pregnancy-addled brain.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Damn, my volume isn't working...shit damn thing!

Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

FTN - A job where I could no longer access YouTube one day would probably be the day I marched into HR with my resignation in hand. But then I'd remember I have to contribute to society, care for the kids, yada, yada, yada, so I'd then tell the HR head I made a wrong turn at the copier and slink back to my cubical. Sigh. But I'd mutter under my breath about "the man" a lot as I did.

And they are all NKOTB, if you must know. Menuda doesn't seem to do it for me. Though that Ricky...

April - You can bring your pregnancy riddled brain around here anytime!

Choppzs - Wish I could help you with that, but I'm a diehard "control-alt-delete" kinda computer person, I would perhaps do you more harm than good...

Friday, August 17, 2007 9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home