...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

future employers, take heed!

My boys didn't have school on Tuesday. Our district had scheduled a teacher work day for the day after Labor Day, thus effectively avoiding having to make a decision as to whether or not President Obama's speech on the importance of a good and responsible education would be shown to students interested in listening. That afternoon, I plucked the boys away from the grips of play and together we sat down and watched the President's speech online, and afterward, although they were itching to run back to see what kind of inane videos they could find on YouTube of dudes racking their gonads or field one of the 86 trillion phone calls made to the house for them, I emphasized that the President's hope that they choose to do well in school was a hope their father and I share.

"Remember what the President said? That each of you has something that you're good at," I reminded them. "Each of you has something to offer, and one of the best ways to do that is to work hard in school and discover something that interests you."

Later in the afternoon, because my oldest son is not interested being organized, I pulled out his school binder and went about flipping through hi
s assignment book and notes to see if there was any outstanding projects to be completed before they returned to school today. Happily, I didn't find any outstanding projects. I did, however, find something that I, honestly, can only describe as outstanding. Perhaps also astounding. At the very least, I deem it exhausting. Take a look:




Sigh...

During this academic year, middle school students will be setting academic, home, and character goals. Because we're only three weeks into the school year, my son's academic goal was to maintain his already strong grades. He's a smart one, that kid of mine. However, his home and character goals, honestly, leave a little bit to be desired. I didn't put a direct call into the White House to see if the President would concur, but I'm pretty sure Sasha and Malia are striving for a little more than being cool.

Seriously, check that home goal out. This month - being cool and playing. First, please know that the spelling? Yeah, we get it. We know. He knows. THAT is our goal. Being proactive in remembering to spell being without an extra i is on our long term home goal list. What I love about his goal is how my son plans to achieve it - Like saying 'What's up, homey?' and playing with my brother."

What's up, homey?

Eh, not much, dude. Just chillaxin' here while I bust out some sweet life goals.

Wanna play later?

'Spose so.

Cool.

Yep.

Do you notice the part where I circled some ideas from the list of goals my sweet, sweet homey could really, truly benefit from? "What about being organized? Remember how we always talk about needing to be responsible for yourself?" I asked him. "I forgot," he replied. Homey forgot. That means later on, I circled listening.

Honestly, I give the kid credit for creativity. I also let his character goals slide because he really is already everything someone with good character demonstrates.

During his speech Tuesday, President Obama told students that "No one’s written your destiny for you. Here in America, you write your own destiny. You make your own future." Never mind the future. Around here, we're taking the future one month at a time. And being cool, homey.

Labels: ,

37 Comments:

Blogger Bijoux said...

Hey - the photo is not appearing! I'll check back later.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

FINALLY! This took forever to get the photo fix, but my goal was to be cool AND to get it fixed!

Meg, mommygeekology, and Jormengrund - thank you for your earlier comments when this post was mucked up. I wish I hadn't lost them in the correction process.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger FTN said...

Word. Sho 'nuff.

What's this? Obama gave a speech to school children? Odd, I hadn't heard anything about that. You'd think perhaps the news media might have mentioned that. Or even a few dozen of my friends on Facebook.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

"I'm alredy every thing"

Wow. . . What a guy, eh?

;)

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Brian o vretanos said...

I must admit, I'm glad we didn't have to listen to politicians or do "goals" or stuff when I was at school. You get enough of that in adulthood...

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

That child is obviously mine. Sorry.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Seriously...if MORE people asked WHAT'S UP HOMEY on a regular basis, the world just MIGHT be a kinder place.

Hallie :)

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Dat der? Dat's funny.

Don't the little buggers just make you so proud?

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

You could also teach him that being cool could be more lioke saying "Heeeyyyyy" and putting both thumbs up in the air.


like the fonz.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL this is even better with the picture.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:35:00 PM  
Blogger CT Mom said...

LOL - I showed my newly minted middle-schooler, who also needs some lessons in organization and listening, but not in socializing.

Her reaction? Rolling her eyes: "That's boys for you."

I guess so.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger The Stiletto Mom said...

What? I walk around saying "Whats up homey?" all the time and I'm like the coolest kid on my street. For realz.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 6:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kate Coveny Hood said...

I don't think he's been any credit for his appropriate use of grammar. He could so easily have said "what up homey." But he went with "what's" Granted, he did leave out the apostrophe - but that he could just add punctuation improvement to his academic goals.

I loved this. Only you could work politics, your children and humor into a post.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:51:00 PM  
Anonymous A Vapid Blonde said...

I wish I had those kinds of goals when I was in school...for me it was how can I get through the day with out being slammed into the lockers by some softball player who was much bigger than me.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

the kid's got a career in politics ahead of him...you still have time to talk him out of it!

LOL

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

Wow. A day off so soon after school started. I seriously can't remember having any days off other than designated holidays.

Now I'm off to look for mah homeys.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I think he's got the being cool part down pat. Nice job.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

make sure he doesn't forget to wear his pants loosely around his hips and his baseball cap cocked rakishly. i hear it's all apart of that cool homey thing.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:08:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

Ok - Now THAT is priceless. "I'm already everything." You have raised a child with a healthy ego. Be proud!

And the "I don't know" part - well, that's being honest!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:39:00 AM  
Blogger Christina Lee said...

OH NO HE DI'INT!! Home don't play 'dat! hahahahaha-hysterical (sorry). The whole Obama school boycott thing makes my blood BOIL!!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:00:00 AM  
Blogger Zip n Tizzy said...

At least he's established that his brother's his Homey, and since he's "already every thing," you have nothing to worry about!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Bejewell said...

I think it's funny that nearly all the comments on this post are attempting to talk like Snoop Dogg. Poorly.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

How strange. My son has exactly the same attitude. Those homeys could chill and as my son said "read video games."

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:25:00 AM  
Blogger Bogart said...

Good to see that he does not hurt for ego and self-confidence!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Aunt Juicebox said...

I mean, come on, it's not like we don't know where the kid gets it...Seth.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Chelsea Talks Smack said...

I already did everything...lol AWESOME!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:56:00 AM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

Perhaps you should gently explain to him that "being cool" is not an option for those sheets because we are ALL trying to be cool. Still.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger anymommy said...

Love his honesty. I mean we all like to be cool a little, right? And play with my brother more is so sweet and kind.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy B! said...

I think this is hilarious in it's audacity... and heart warming at the same time. Everybody fellt they were everything at some point. Until somebody told them that they weren't. I hope he keeps that attitude forever :)

And also because it's funny!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:39:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh my. That is HILARIOUS! He knows himself well though doesn't he? Homes.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

Love it! In FADKOG I lust!

Friday, September 11, 2009 6:29:00 AM  
Blogger Roaming With A Hungry Heart said...

Yeah for some good self-confidence!

Friday, September 11, 2009 7:43:00 AM  
Blogger Divine Chaos said...

omg .. thanks for the giggles! Your kid and mine would get along so well.

just remember, he's everything, homey. Word to your mother.

Friday, September 11, 2009 7:41:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

"I'm already everything." Christ, I wish I had 25% of that confidence.

He could be cool and play with my daughter. She thinks she's already everything, too.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Laughing over here:O

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

What's up, homey?

Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger kanishk said...

I think it's funny that nearly all the comments on this post are attempting to talk like Snoop Dogg. Domain registration india

Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home