...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Monday, April 04, 2011

ask a simple question, you'll get an answer that you has nothing to do with what you're asking, but i thought it was funny, so there's that

My oldest son had a school assignment tonight that required him to interview someone about their job. This is probably the third time this quarter he's had this assignment, but when class time for this particular class apparently often involves watching episodes of Dirty Jobs, I guess I should just be happy he's finally got some homework.

His plan was to interview his dad, but because he's already interviewed him about this matter twice before, and because what the heck am I, chopped liver, I made him interview me. I'm exciting! I'm interesting! Sure, I don't sell tools to the tool-less, but what I do is important, too!

Sort of.

Also, by doing this, I get out of helping with the essay on Andrew Jackson that's also on the homework docket tonight, so take that, big time tool salesman!

Anyway, my son relented, sharpened his pencil, and posed his first question, which was "What was your first job in high school?"

To which I answered - "I was working part time at a five and dime. My boss was Mr. McGee."

He started to write that down on his paper, and I almost let him, but then I started to feel guilty because I didn't want to jeopardize that straight A he's built from watching television, so I corrected him, but I tell ya, if I had the chance to do it all again, I wouldn't change...my answer.

Oh, yes I would. I would have told him exactly what I did at my first job. I worked the diner all day. Working for my man, I brought home my pay. For love.

For love.

Kids today just don't get mah sweet jams.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Cat said...

Did you work hard for a living, too?

Monday, April 04, 2011 7:12:00 PM  
Blogger Homemaker Man said...

As long as you teach him to do whatever it takes in order to keephis 6-string out of hock, you're doing the right thing.

Give it a shot.

Monday, April 04, 2011 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

I get your sweet jams and enjoyed them thoroughly!

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That answer was "good enough for me and Bobby . . ."

Cuz I'm not so much a Prince fan I went straight for the Joplin seeing that McGee there.

Is that my age showing?

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:36:00 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

"Seen a lot of pain in Memphis; pumped a lot of flame down in New Orleans. . ."

or, should I say,

"It's been a hard day's night, and I been workin' like a dog. . ."

cuz "She works hard for the money; so hard for the money. . ."

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:57:00 AM  
Blogger Bex said...

My first grader had to interview 3 people about their jobs. He picked my FIL, my dad and me. His dad was little miffed.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Kate Coveny Hood said...

And the fourth time he comes home with this assignment he'll ask...

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 3:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Bejewell said...

If he's smart, he'll be taking what you're giving cause you're working for a living.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger 1blueshi1 said...

wish I had a wise lyrical insertion, but Teh Dramaz haz taken mah brainz. glad to see your posting, hope things are better for you. hope they get better for both of us.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

HILARIOUS!!

Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome. And I wonder how many other parents thought about saying the same thing. I love answering questions in song lyrics or movie quotes. Keep 'em confused!

Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

Quoting Raspberry Beret?

Marry me?

Friday, April 08, 2011 6:19:00 AM  
Blogger lime said...

i just want to know if you wore a raspberry beret, my fellow prince fan.

Friday, April 08, 2011 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

Get this - my first job actually was at a five and dime!! (No Mr. McGee though. In fact, I have no idea what my bosses name was.) I do, however, remember that we had parents who would send their six year old kid inside the store to buy them cigarettes while they waited in the car. Good times.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:52:00 AM  
Blogger anymommy said...

9 to 5? You make me laugh. I cleaned bathrooms at a hotel. Disgusting.

Monday, April 11, 2011 11:56:00 PM  
Anonymous louis vuitton replica handbags said...

I can,t sleep at night why dude,i think i am falling in love with you.....lolz

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger the weirdgirl said...

And when you quit work did you throw the coffee at the manager jerk?

(Sorry, that one's outside of the 80s a bit.)

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Title Loans said...

It's no longer that parents don't understand, it's the kids! Do you think your son would have ever got that you were kidding; or worse that his teacher would have known that you were joking?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home