...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, March 30, 2007

i think, therefore, you think, too...or something like that

the kind men behind desmond's place and restoring the covenant recently included me among their selections in their “thinking bloggers award” tag, and honestly, i’m quite flattered to have been even considered, let alone chosen. if nothing else (though, obviously, i think it more than "nothing"), it helps me realize that all that noise i hear in my head, the stuff i think only i’m thinking about and yet sometimes gets spilled out onto the internet for others to read, perhaps resonates with someone.

trust me, as much as i love them (you might say, yes, i have a girly boner for them…), it’s not all kick ass racks, bullets and all things 80s that i obsess on. ok, sometimes (i’m talking to you, bullets) they are among the things that make me the most happy and therefore think about a lot, but then i click around the blogworld and hook up with some other amazing people who make me happy, as well.

many of the obvious have already been named in other people’s entries. for example,
ftn – whose site I lurked at for so very long before raising my hand and joining the discussion, because it is 3/4ths of your grade – would be an obvious choice for my list for he pretty much has me considering all things having to do with world peace, the plight of orphans in africa, The Sex, what i can personally do to curb the onslaught of global warming and panties. not necessarily in that order. he’s tremendously funny and appropriately self-deprecating, and i think if we met in person, we might realize without ever saying a word who the other one was.

because my raging girly boner and “i 'heart' mike rowe” shirt would give me away, of course.

the two gentlemen who chose me make me happy and willing to pontificate, as well.
desmond charmed me the moment i “met” him when i was ceremoniously chosen to participate in ftn's real blogger world. When i "moved in” i barely knew any of my fellow participants, but i learned quickly that desmond rocks the marriage thing like no other. the man is devoted to his wife and his family and to his faith and i admire those qualities like no other. i read his writing – when he can now – and often go back and read it again (and again) because i learn something new each time. either about him or about faith or whatever strikes his fancy. he’s charmingly funny, terribly sweet in his replies and because of him, my kick ass rack has it’s own acronym, KAR ™. Come to think of it, he was also the first to pick up on the girly boner issue…hmmm…

recovering soul at "restoring the covenant" is a newer read for me. rs gamely stepped out, gladiator style, and dared take me on in the back and forth “bad video/song” challenge. see what a little debbie gibson will do for you?! while no one was declared an actual “winner,” i may or may not be walking around my house right now sporting a jaunty sash and crown of my own making trumpeting me as the rightfully victorious master (with a bit of help tossed in from rs’s wife, therese, who realizes also that men can and will cave at an ugly sweater and shoes). i’ve been exploring rs’s site more and he’s also a brutally honest writer (as is therese) as he discusses the ramifications of their marriage following infidelity, and how they are working together to strengthen what i imagine is a pretty amazing family after the fact. and when in doubt, you can count on him to pop off a lyric for you (but i’m still the queen. just sayin’…).

so, i am going to include in my list five writers who i’ve come to admire and think of as friends in hopes that, if you haven’t read any of them before, you may consider doing so. like the writers i’ve already listed, these selections may have already been included elsewhere, but the blog world, despite it’s vastness, sometimes feels rather small, so we may all bump into each other around the block or at the grocery store.

before we start, there is apparently some guidelines to this effort, so please consider following along:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think.

2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme.
3. (Optional) Proudly display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote.

nanette at
underachieving mommy– i simply can’t say enough or adequately express how much i have come to love this woman. i think we’ve both been blogging for roughly the same amount of time and how we stumbled upon the other is not important. what is important is that she’s one of the first places i go visit and if i could visit her in “real life,” i’d probably be at her house all the time and she’d be making up excuses to leave the room and scream into a pillow, or calling friends, begging them to call her back in two minutes and feigning an emergency. when i read her, i’m laughing, nodding my head and wishing she were actually in the room with me so i could tell her how great i think she is. entrenched in utah but not a mormon, the mother of twins, smart as heck (seriously – check out her profile for her degree), beautifully opinionated, and perhaps willing to allow me a brief fling with john taylor, she’s the real deal. i want to be her neighbor. seriously.

j at
j under covers – ah, truly, if i could have a brother, i’d ask whoever i had to ask to make sure i could have one like j. i want him to be the luke to my leah. but probably without that awkward "star wars" chemistry (ok, so i’ve seen his “stuff.” we’ve made a pact not to talk about it should our paths ever get crossed and we meet for a drink. i’m pretty sure we can handle that. we’ll just talk in random song lyrics and television dialogue to break the ice!). i met j last fall as i stumbled around blogs, and immediately dug him. we like much in the way of the same music – seriously, i hang out at his place many times on mondays when he ultimately adds to my ipod tracks - he bears a striking resemblance to rivers cuomo from weezer, so that’s tres cool, he has stepped up and offered his assistance even when he barely knew me. he’s appropriately snarky and very smart, so i appreciate he has that advantage over me, and he’s an amazingly devoted husband, and it’s refreshing to read about marriage really falling into place nicely from a man’s perspective. truly a good guy.

nocturnal+tendencies – i hope when i say that this site is simple but never simplistic that makes sense. before i truly became aware of the man behind the work, i’d visit nocturnal’s site for the imagery, the thought behind it and the music. seriously, i’ve watched him play drums there with my jaw a bit dropped. it’s a decent look for me, so i’m ok with that. but back to this site. you can find just about any thought there – pure randomness to questions of authority – presented in such a succinct nature that, as a former editor, i admire and yet find unable to do. which is why i’m glad, through osmosis or whatnot, i learned about him. often, i leave there with a perplexed look on my face and have to think about things before i ever respond. and, of course, as is the case with my other choices, a nice guy behind the scenes.

finished last – i may be wrong and short of going back to september when i started my own blog to research it, i think this truly nice guy behind finished last was one of the first people among the handful who read my blog and comment on it. before long, we had struck up a very honest line of communication. i admire greatly that he is someone taking a hard, honest look at his life and then having the guts to share it with us. i’m not sure i could do that in some avenues of my life, and i like to think i’ve been quite honest with everyone who comes here. when we first “met,” finished last pretty much told me he was an open book, and when i peppered him with questions, he didn’t back down. i respect what he’s doing in his life, wish him success, and routinely check on him as he opens up to all of us.

artful dodger at
the secret brain – i think it’s fair to include a newer addition to my regular reads. i’m still discovering this writer, but what i’ve dove into so far often makes me laugh and definitely think. perhaps a few other things. i love a clever writer, and i find art quite truly clever, and very honest. plus, as a girl who appreciates humor and talent because she struggles with that ability, i often enjoy clicking through art’s work so i can watch the rotating display of his blog headers. a beautifully clean site – though not necessarily always “clean” content, fyi – i find much about it that provokes me to linger.

i read many people (and were i not “link stunted” you’d know that), but i reserve most of my return trips to the assorted writers who have truly struck me, in one way or the other, since i started writing last fall. the above and many others not listed never fail to make me think. there are writers i wish i could include on my list who have ceased writing for whatever reason, but i hold out hope they’ll one day return. that i feel i’ve developed friendships with these people humbles me. as does how nice people have been to me.

16 Comments:

Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Well, you know, it's just because I'm too, uh, modest to be dropping 'kickass rack' all over the place, that I coined KAR. ('course, I appreciate a kickass rack as much as the next guy; having nursed eight kids, Molly's KAR days are, sadly, in the past) (plenty good enough for me, though; just sayin')

And I was "the first to pick up on the girly boner issue"? Really? I'd, uh, forgotten that. ('course, I appreciate a girly boner as much as the next guy. . . oh, never mind)

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:31:00 PM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

And, uh, I didn't know there were any issues with girly boners. . .

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:32:00 PM  
Blogger JUnderCovers said...

I'm flattered, although I have to admit, I would have been disappointed and horribly hurt if I wasn't on there. :) And now you've given me a good post for today, so many thanks!

Friday, March 30, 2007 3:20:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

me wish me writted good for me to make list that you writeded....

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:30:00 PM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

aw, shucks, thanks for the shout out.

It's funny, because Therese is on a retreat this weekend, so I finally get to wear the sash and tiara I made announcing my victory. The kiddo is giving me funny looks, but I don't care! I'll just dance around in my tiara singing debbie gibson songs. (or is it Deborah Gibson now...?)

Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I may or may not be holding back a tear or two as I write this, I'm sentimental like that.
You must know that I would never have to make up an emergency to rid myself of your presence. I have grown to love you just as much and it saddens me to think that miles separate us. I think it might be something of a good thing too, though. Our spouses and children can have more time with us this way. ;)
If I ever win the lottery, I will be on your doorstep so fast that you won't have time to pick up your kickass squirrel covers before I barge in.

I am honored.

P.S. I removed my profile statement a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with my disclaimer--I am flattered that you think I'm smart, but really I just think of myself as differently educated with a predispositon for numbers and logic.

rymqjn
xsnbn (took too long to write something, :P)

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:08:00 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Great post, I'll definitly be checking out some new links. I often find that the best new reads are the ones on my fav bloggers lists. Thanks for the recommendations.
Stacie

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

You have humbled me and honored me, thank you. I'm not actually supposed to be blogging right now, so don't tell anyone I was here. I'll stop by again tomorrow. ;)

Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

See? I came back, I was off yesterday with my son and snuck on at night. :)

Seriously though, I really appreciate the comments and since we've both just recently discovered each other, it means even more to me that you think that way. I could easily say much the same and I enjoy stopping by every day to read you and see what's going on. Thanks beautiful.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

desmond - ah, dear friend, there are *no* issues with girly boners. none at all! and i, of course, appreciate your appreciation of whatever you wish to appreciate!

j - never any doubt you were going up on this list, my friend! thank you for your kind words, too!

savage - you are are on your very own, very special list, mister...

rs - do you hear me? i was singing "only in my dreams" pretty loudly when you mentioned your own crowning apparel, though i did, of course, change the lyrics to "only in your dreams". either way, i'm prepared to dance, too, because regardless of what anyone else may say, i think we rock!

nanette - ok, now *i* may or may not have a tear in my eye after reading that very nice remark. and i'm saddened i forgot to mention your introduction of "squirrel covers" into my vernacular! damn! i adore you, and i hope one day we're doing duckie's dance from "pretty in pink" in one of our living rooms!

stacie - i've so enjoyed your posts and am glad you stop through here (props yet again to nocturnal for his wise recommendations!). hope you get a chance to check these friends out!

art - ok, now add "wonderfully sweet" to my remarks about your site. and a man of your word! not that any of it was any secret, of course! please don't think me a stalker if you find i'm lingering around your place a lot. i swear, i'm mostly there for the writing, but i am in envy and humored by your banners. your vast creativity charms me, and i'm glad i paid a visit. i appreciate you visiting here, too.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 11:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your nice words little lady, I'm flattered. I enjoy your blog for your unique perspectives on things, honesty goes a long way in my book.

Take care.

Monday, April 02, 2007 1:27:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

I'm away from blogs for three days and look what I miss. FADKOG/KAR/BonerGirl figured out how to include multiple links within her post! I'm in awe of your mad web skillz.

And yes, if you were a superhero, you'd be BonerGirl.

But now I'm quite curious how long you were lurking at my site before you ever got around to commenting...

Monday, April 02, 2007 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

nocturnal - everything you so nicely say to me here is reversed and part of the reason i knew you'd be an obvious selection on my list. thanks for putting up with my wordiness!

ftn - you miss a lot when you just abandon the blog world, what with your need to "work" and "be productive" and "take care of your family." sheesh.

however, bonergirl (sigh...this alias list you have for me grows with every exchange. and i LOVE it, of course!) has always known how to link within her actual blog (we only talk about superheroes in the third tense, of course). it is within these equally stellar replies she lacks the necessary powers! she's not all creative and able to pimp out like some people.

but dang if she doesn't wish she could. clipped at the wings, this bonergirl is.

as for the lurking? 30 minutes.

but more likely a month or three. your magnificent writing and voice haunted me, and i thought "how could i ever measure up!?" then i figured i'd just talk about my kick ass rack and raging girly boner a lot and that would overshadow whatever it was i was or was not able to do with my own writing skillz.

seems to be working.

that is all. bonergirl has spoken. so have i. and i imagine you are still in awe of me regardless.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:37:00 AM  
Blogger Therese in Heaven said...

Well, thanks for the kind words! Although I think everyone knows that you won the competition and completely on your own. :)

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

therese - heh...sometimes i just want to keep the boys thinking they still have an edge. sneak attack method, let's say! though truly, your sweater post helped me recall the dramatic shoe manifesto!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 1:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry I missed this as a nomination. Perusing comments on NT, Nan mentioned this post. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Monday, April 30, 2007 6:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home