1 day down, 179 to go
Following a morning that included
- my youngest son sleeping in for the first time in three months
- a questionable return of The Doodlebops to our brief morning viewing pleasure
- a lengthy 'first day of school' photo session
- the neighbor kid apparently making my house his morning respite for a half hour before school AND before I was even freakin' dressed yet
- watching the stupid bus driver zoom right past our house as we walked this brand new kindergartner to the stop
- said bus driver giving us lip when we informed him of his erroneous ways upon arriving at school
- a brief look on my baby's face that seemed to say "oh, the hell you think you're leaving me here with all these people, woman!"
- watching him grasping hands with his little buddy and getting over that look hella fast
- wondering if I'd have to provide some fake medical assistance to the mother I thought was going to go into hysterics as she left her kindergartner
- a moment or 10 when my eyes leaked when I turned to my husband and said, "Well, those five years weren't actually supposed to go by quite that quickly..."
- informing me he hadn't peed all day (my brand new kindergartner, not my husband) when he returned home
the first day of kindergarten went off without any hitches.
Of course, as we walked back to the house from the corner where the bus dropped him off and bantered about the day, he informed me he wasn't going to go back today. But he was smirking, so we're good.
Which is fantastic for me, really, because about an hour in to my new quiet house, I stood on the steps, surveying my royal post and I may have, you know, let out a little Braveheart "freedom" cry.
And that's cool. 'Cause I look freakin' hot in blue makeup.