...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

naked blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm...

See that over there? That's a glimpse of how I intend to spend my evening. Words can't begin to express my deep love for The Breakfast Club. That's probably because when I speak of The Breakfast Club, I do so with every possible quote from the film I can break out with faster than the person I'm speaking to. I've proudly had entire conversations while innocently acting it out.

"I'm thinking of trying out for a scholarship."

To this day, 22 years after first seeing this masterpiece, my heart swells at the idea of having a real life John Bender. However, while my love for the movie is untarnished and pure, I've learned sometimes the Brian Johnsons of the world are the best route to go. Not all John Benders are as good for you as the movie version.

"Sweets. You couldn't ignore me if you tried. So...are you guys like boyfriend-girlfriend? Steady dates? Lovers? Come on, sporto, level with me. Do you slip her the hot beef injection?"

I was sharing a conversation with a friend at work recently when, suddenly, I started quoting from this film (honestly, it's sometimes like I have Turrets Syndrome where TBC is concerned!). At a perfectly timed moment in our talk, I looked at this young man and said, "Well, what I had said was I'm in the math club, uh, the latin, and the physics club... physics club."

He just looked at me. So, naturally, I continued. "Well, in physics we... we talk about physics, properties of physics."

What I wanted from him was to fall right into play and give me the classic "So it's sorta social. Demented and sad, but social. Right?" and I'd have been thrilled and then maybe a little in lust and quite possibly would've had to excuse myself. But he was absolutely clueless!

Then I realized he was 23 years old. Just barely older than this movie (and probably more inclined to be able to quote from the actual movie Clueless)! When I asked if he'd ever seen The Breakfast Club, he said he'd not. My jaw dropped. Sacrilegious! The Breakfast Club should be mandatory viewing before anyone earns their high school diploma! I suggest it be shown over an extended lunch period where viewers are offered pb & j with the crusts cut off.

"Uh, Dick? Excuse me; Rich. Will milk be made available to us?"

In the meantime, I'll be watching it again in all it's glory. Tonight. And probably again over the weekend.

"Well I'm free the Saturday after that. Beyond that, I'm going to have to check my calendar."

I've lost count of how many times I've seen it, and it doesn't matter. Why doesn't it matter?

Because "you see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions..."

Because unlike the world, this movie is perfect.

"Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place."

And seriously, I'm not kidding about those John Benders. Even if they lean in and whisper, "Wouldn't I be OUTSTANDING in that capacity?" Just run across the football field, far away from them!

I'll be waiting for you, and we'll watch this together. Maybe sing the theme song. Good times.

"Well, well. Here we are. You have exactly eight hours and fifty-four minutes to think about why you're here. You may not talk, you will not move from these seats. Any questions?"

What's that? Will I share my popcorn and pop with you? Yes. But I won't make you make out with me, though. Unless you're a straight up Brian Johnson. Then prepare.

"You won't accept a guy's tongue in your mouth, and you're going to eat that?"

I've got no problem with sushi.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean if he had a great personality and was a good dancer and had a cool car, ... although you'd probably have to ride in the back seat, 'cause his nuts would ride shotgun...


I'm not THAT pristine...

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 6:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the breakfast club is totally my rainy day movie.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Most times I'm the basketcase. but boy what I wouldn't give for my own John Bender every now and again.

oh and my 15 year old...may be just the match you need for quoting that movie..he inherited my love for it and it's on his Christmas list for the second year in a row. The kid want's his own copy. That's my boy!
Stacie

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:18:00 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Chicks can not hold their smoke. That's what it is.


I say "screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place"

I said it today when my keyboard thingy fell on the floor at work and a screw fell on my shoe.

THIS is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. I can watch this and 16 Candles and Pretty In Pink like over and over.

I always wanted to be Molly Ringwald.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:30:00 PM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

You and I have a music connection that nothing can replace. And I know the "theme song" you referenced.

With that said, I admit, I have never seen this movie.. or any of the other 80's movies referenced above (16 candles, PIP) nor do I know who Molly Ringwald is.

Don't kill me. Just remember the good times.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Taja - It's pretty tasty, but I do wonder how he rides a bike...

You da mom - It is the movie that never fails ya. I'm gonna go on the limb and say that, yes, it tops Grease for me.

Stacie - I am *totally* an Allison Reynolds, pre-Claire Standish approved make over. "Hey, I like all that black shit. Why are you being so nice to me?"

But I still wouldn't go for the real life John Benders. Too many of them out there and, wow, true colors...

Get that kid of yours his own copy for Christmas, then allow me to propose a Breakfast Club throw down!

kimmyk - You have named the Trifecta of Perfection, my friend. An afternoon on the couch, the DVD player on a constant hum as those three classics played. Honestly, it might be better than sex.

And safer, too, what with nobody pacing around saying "Hey, homeboy, what do you say we close that door, we'll get the prom queen impregnated."

I, too, wanted to be Molly Ringwald. I just could never decide if I wanted to be quirky and popular Molly or quirky and misunderstood and yet loved Molly!

RS - It's good you prefaced your comments with our shared appreciation for the music (what with me still sporting the crown and sash of our bad ass showdown and all...ahem...), but then you blasphemy the entire notion of quality pop culture by staight up admitting to not seeing any of the Trifecta of Perfection!!!

Get thee to Netflix, Blockbuster or my freakin' house immediately! If you come here, you'll have to step over my body, for I've fainted at the confession you have no idea who Molly Ringwald is, but I'll come to and school you.

This is utter insanity!

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Love that movie! I think the sandwhich meat throwing, and Emilio dancing up in the library are my favorite parts! lol Cracks me up every time!

Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger Therese in Heaven said...

I haven't seen the movie either.

Actually, I think the first time I heard of it was in Bowling for Soup's "1985", which incidentally, is where I learned everything I know about the 80's.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Mountain dew, popcorn and a dvd. You are all set! Nice!

aoajvw

Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:13:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Choppzs - The well planned 'party in the library' is a favorite. I, too, wish to dance on a giant phallic statue one day!

Therese - Oh, you two are killing a small part of me here! Though I'm grateful my apparent theme song has given you some education on "The Greatest Decade Evah!", there is still work to be done. You could just skip Vegas and take refuge in my living room and I'll have these movies going nonstop until you, too, can bust out the dialogue like a pro!

Nan - Um, did you *JUST* look at the picture and move on? Nice!

This reminds me of the time I felt like saying, "What do you care what I think anyway? I don't even count...right? I could disappear forever and it wouldn't make any difference. I might as well not even exist at this school, remember?"

But to paraphrase - "but you...you like me anyway."

Thanks, my sweets!

Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Edtime Stories said...

What is this Breakfast Club you speak of, sounds interesting.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:29:00 AM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

are we starting a breakfast club? We will all get together once a week and have breakfast? That would be fun. That must be what it is all about.

I'm pretty sure that if Therese and I showed up at your house to learn about the 80's you would see us coming, lock the door, run upstairs to put some clothes on (cause the show is only for your kids friends), and then peek out the windows. Because you are going to be saying to yourself "why are bloggers showing up at my house???"

But maybe we can make time to rent these after we get back.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 8:13:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Hey, ummm. . . can I come over to your house, too? 'Cuz, like. . . I've never seen the flick, either.

'Course, by the time the '80s rolled around, I was, like, married and having (or, should I say, begetting?) kids an' stuff.

But - Greatest Decade Evah? - puh-leeeeze!

Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

Obviously, women are bigger fans of TBC than men. I was never really all that into the movie. But I have to admit that it does get better with repeated viewings. It still doesn't hold a candle to the aforementioned performance of Anthony Michael Hall as The Geek/Farmer Ted, however.

The comments from RS and Therese are making me feel old. And I'm fairly young. I thought.

Be honest. What does your husband think of this movie? Can he really stand to watch it with you 25 times? Or is he in the other room, watching "Piranha" on SciFi?

Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:30:00 AM  
Blogger Rug's Bug said...

Be careful with that microwave popcorn! I've seen it on two newscasts in the last 24 hours!! One guy in the whole of the USA has lung disease that may be linked to some chemical in that stuff. So beware! :-)

Thursday, September 06, 2007 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Phyllis RenĂ©e said...

I have always admired people who could quote films that way. My brothers have been known to suddenly break out into scenes from Monty Python (accents and all), but I've never been able to play along. Maybe a few words here and there, but never much more. I'm just a little better when it comes to songs. But I can boast as to having seen TBC several times.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FTN... Piranha? Nay... "Mega Snake".

Thursday, September 06, 2007 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Ed - Only the best thing EVAH!!! Any man willing to claim my heart must be able to quote from this movie without hesitation. Or cheating. But mostly no hesitation.

RS - Will there be sausages at our breakfast club? There must be milk. I have a really low tolerance for dehydration. Anyone who has seen me dehydrated would say it's pretty gross.

And it's not just the kids who see me naked, my friend. Well, I guess it is. If you were to come to my house under the guise of fixing something, you'd just see my panties. Already on the floor. Details.

Desmond - Greatest Decade EVAH of Which My Life Had A Significant Chunk OF!! Would that work better?

Feel free to join us for Capt'n Crunch and pixie sticks sandwiches at our breakfast club and we'll discuss.

FTN - Chicks, though they may not be able to hold their smoke, do hold onto the love of some BC.

And I would marry Farmer Ted today. I wouldn't even moon over Jake Ryan.

I think my husband, who does alert me when the BC is on TV, is actually waiting for the thrilling SciFi weekend line up, which includes, in part, "Komodo vs. Cobra," "Curse of the Komodo" (so I guess we know always bet on Komodo in those cobra matches), "Attack of the Sabretooth" and "Sasquatch Mountain".

As an aside - two things: Cripes, I don't feel like I'm *that* old either!! Also, I never realized how much I liked saying the word "sasquatch" until just a moment ago.

Sasquatch.

Rug's - It's funny you mention that, because right after I hit post on this entry, I saw that news report about the popcorn come up on my news reader. Alas, I feel the copious amounts of Diet Mt. Dew I drink daily will do me in before my microwave popcorn does!

Phyllis - I respect the fact that you aren't annoyed by people who can quote easily and randomly from any movie they've seen. Most people find the practice quite annoying! I'll admit that at times I've annoyed myself doing it.

But I get over it pretty quickly. Because honestly, any Monty Python movie is mandatory quoting. And Evil Dead. Cripes...don't even get me started on the Evil Dead movies...

Taja - Nay..."Sasquatch".

Heh. I got to say "sasquatch" again!

Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Mmmmm. . . Cap'n Crunch. . . If we're talking Crunch-berries, I'm there. . .

And, y'know, 'sasquatch' does sound vaguely lewd, doesn't it?

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger FindingHeart said...

Okay, you are a good writer and I keep reading via my aggregator. But so not fair that you put the punch line as a label, since labels don't show up in the reader I use. Therefore, I'm trying to find out about the naked chick with the dog and, while I enjoyed walk through BfClub memory lane, my ADD head kept interrupting with "Where the hell is the naked chick?!" LOL.

Keep on keep'n on, sister.

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:57:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Desmond - Aside from a massive interest in Bigfoot that lingers from my childhood (I blame this on Leonard Nimoy and "In Search Of"), my love of the word "Sasquatch" is pretty much rooted in the fact that it sounds vaguely lewd!

FH - I'm glad you're still reading! Legend tells that there is no actual punchline for the naked chick joke, but I suppose we could make one up!

Sunday, September 09, 2007 11:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mommy2JL said...

Being only 23 is no excuse for never having seen TBC.
I'm barely 21 and it is one of my utter favourites!!

Monday, September 10, 2007 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

mommy2jl - EXACTLY! I totally agree! I have seen this young man in an entirely different light since his admission to me, and now my quest is to change his ways!

BTW, stopped by your site. You had me at "Sweet Caroline". I'll definitey be back when I have more time. For now, it's off to work! Thanks for your visit!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home