...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

who says your birthday should be about you?

"You're sister called me today."

"Oh, I haven't heard from her for a couple weeks. What's up with her."

"She was a little freaked out. She didn't even say hello when I answered."

"Yeah? What's wrong. Should I call her?"

"'Do you realize ----------'s birthday is Thursday?' she practically yelled to me. I told her yes, I remembered it was your birthday. I've never forgotten one. Because I'm your mom. That's what moms do."

"Awww! That's sweet of her. And of you, too, Mom. Wow! That's so sentimental of you. Are you tearing up at the thought of my birth?"

"Listen, missy! Don't get all sentimental in your old age!"

"Thanks for the love, Mom! You crack me up! Except I'm afraid to laugh too hard. Because apparently I'm old now. And old people are incontinent. And I respectfully refuse to pee my pants a little bit. Because I save that for when I sneeze really hard."

"Wow, Ms. Smart Mouth. Seriously, were you born with that mouth?"

"I don't know Mom. You were there. I thought moms didn't forget that kind of thing."

"So anyway, your sister started blabbering in a complete panic. 'Do you realize your oldest daughter is going to be forty this week?? She's going to be forty, Mother!! FORTY!!'"

"Say forty some more, Mom. It's like poetry to me. If you were a guy, I'd tell you you were turning me on and ask you for a photo. Except that would probably make me a dick, and you didn't raise no dicks, Mom."

"Are you this smart mouthed with people who aren't related to you? Do you want me to go on?"

"Yes, Mom. You left off at 'FORTY!!'"

"So you're sister's a bit excited about you turning forty. Well, maybe excited isn't the word. Terrified. That's it! She's terrified that you're turning forty."

"She really needs to get a hobby. I should call her and tell her that. Why is she terrified that I'm turning forty?"

"Well, honey, she says if you're suddenly forty, that means she's going to be forty. In two years! She says she can't fathom the idea of being that old!"

"Wow. Did you tell her she'd be lucky to live that long? Better yet, did you tell her I'm your favorite?"

"You get that smart mouth from me, don't you?"

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Happy Birthday sweetness! I'm glad I got to be the first to wish you a Happy 40th! Stupid computers though, evil infected computers, gah!

mwahtou

Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:48:00 AM  
Blogger Phyllis RenĂ©e said...

Happy birthday!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:52:00 AM  
Blogger Satan said...

Happy Birthday dear SWIK!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:58:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

40 is the new 39.

I contemplated saying that you and I can't hang out any more, because we are no longer in the same demographic.

But who am I kidding. You're still cool at 40. The fictional red bikini makes you look at least nine years younger.

Oh, and happy birthday, of course. I'll pick you up at 8 for your birthday outing.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

You say it's your birthday? Well, Happy Birthday TO ya!

Yes, we're goin' to a party, party. . .

Seriously, DKG - forty ain't old; you're still just a young'un. Heck, they used to say life begins at forty.

'Course, speaking purely personally, my forties were the worst freakin' decade of my short life to date - all hell breaking loose in just about every possible way. But hey - your results may vary. . .

My mom tried to give me grief when I turned 40, but I just turned to her and said, "Hey, your kid is turning 40. . ."

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Confused Husband said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

You know if it weren't for the whole several states separating us I'd totally take you out to party.

Forties not bad at all. My mom graduated college at the age of forty. Of course she was a grandma 4 years later though. :D
CH

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:27:00 AM  
Blogger Prom Queen said...

I turned 40 in April and my kids LOVED announcing it at full volume to all who would listen. It was a bad time to have a gala - so I think I will turn 40 again in 3 years.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Ohhhh 40 is like the new 25. I'm 40 and look at all my hotness. Okay stop starin. Enough already. You're undressing me with your eyes and making me feel cheap. Stop it.

I hope you have a great birthday...and yeah, I feel like everytime I say hell or damn my moms gonna come at me with a bar of soap.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:10:00 PM  
Blogger 1blueshi1 said...

I was completely freaked about turning thirty. except that when the dreaded day rolled around, I had just found out I was pregnant with Bookey after we'd been trying to conceive for two years, and the DH cooked my childhood special birthday dinner AND ordered me a Barbie cake that said With Love for my 30 year old Barbie
go ahead, laugh, but I still have the cake toppers.
hope your fortieth is just as special. and I only have five years to start working up a good head of fear and loathing for the next big iconic moment o' horror.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:18:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Happy birthday!

Forty? Pshaw! You're a youngun yet.

I hope you had a wonderful day.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:16:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Happy 40th Birthday! Hope you had a great day. And night.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:22:00 PM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

40?! SHUT UP! Hey, we both have birthday milestones this year, let's party together!

Seriously, happy birthday. You're only as old as you speak, so per your post you are 13.
:)

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:19:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Sisters! Don't you wish you could be 10 again so you can smack 'em?
Then no one would think it's weird. :o)

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:25:00 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Yay for 40, I agree with KK, it's the new 25! now get out there and do something fun...dress up like a big red dog and pee on a firehydrant or something ;)

Stacie

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Happy Birthday to you!

Oh and Hubs had that complex about turning 30. i told him to get over it and eat a dick! lol Just kidding, I did say get over it, but I just had to throw the word dick in there!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Summer Rose said...

Happy Birthday!
Lol a great birthday post that had sibling rivalry written all over it. Hope it was a good one.
S.R.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home