...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, January 19, 2007

'i asked my mother "what will i be..."'

next week, my son's preschool class will be learning about community helpers and, according to the note sent home to parents "other jobs that the students might like to have when they are older."

the note is actually an opportunity for parents to provide information about their jobs so our children can then present it to their classmates. i'm a bit torn by doing this. not because i oject to it. not at all.

it's mostly because my husband and i have rather boring jobs.

ok. i'm not knocking the stay-at-home mom thing. i love and appreciate the fact that we've had the opportunity to do this for the last few years. my bank account doesn't necessarily like hanging out by itself, and there are days that are mind-numbingly frustrating and i find myself gently stroking the framed copy of my college diploma (pulled from the box containing all my other career-focused trinkets now buried under stacks of rubbermaid containers filled with all sizes of kids clothes) and the promises it held, but i wouldn't change it for any amount of money to fill those empty coffers.

but how do you sell 'stay at home mom' as thrilling, something a bunch of preschoolers will want to consider as a career option when they get older and are disheartened by life? i once visited a preschool while working as a reporter and listened as one little boy shared his dreams of being a turtle when he grew up, so i know these career things are a hard sell when you have the mystique of the animal kingdom to live up to.

we have to include a description of what we do every day. i'm working on putting my best p.r. spin on it so my son stands up proudly and says, "my mommy takes me to the library every week, where we check out the same books each time, and has been coaching me on the fine art of properly wiping my bottom after going to the bathroom. she also makes excellent peanut butter sandwiches, and can quote oprah, who she claims is god and yet disparages her in the next breath. she doesn't mind playing star wars with me from time to time, as long as she gets to be yoda, but if you need her in the afternoon, don't bug her during her 'quiet time,' because she may be doing something i'm not supposed to know about yet."

notice i'm leaving out the part that includes a detailed breakdown of how much time i could spend on the computer if i truly allowed myself to be so carefree. blogging and keeping up is hard work, people! you can no doubt tell that based purely on this scintillating read alone. but i don't need the other preschool moms knowing about it. hell, they probably all have their own blogs, some much more interesting than mine, if you know what i mean.

so i'm off to the library and an afternoon of peanut butter sandwiches, "curious george" on pbs, a few short jaunts into the web that will be followed by a ton of hugs.

that probably trumps being a turtle.

but i may look up the job description of "spy" just to make things more interesting for the 4-year-olds.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you do is one of the most important jobs there is. getting paid in hugs isn't such a bad thing is it? ( I know it doesn't buy a new car or anything) BTW do you do the voice when you are Yoda? I would love to hear that.

Friday, January 19, 2007 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

I've tried the "spy" thing. People don't buy it. Trust me.

But then maybe you could go to school in a black, skintight bodysuit, with a tiny little gun holstered around your thigh. That would be hella cool.

Or you could tell everyone you are a professional blogger. The other preschool Moms are probably stripping on their own webcams, so shoot a few winks at them. The kind that says, Yeah, I recognize you, I know who you are.

So whatever do you do during this "quiet time" in the afternoons?

Friday, January 19, 2007 3:29:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Go you will to the preschool. Tell them you will about your peanut butter slaying skills. :)

Quiet time....I think I need to add that to my schedule.....

Friday, January 19, 2007 9:27:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

Imagne what you'd have to say if you had been a dominatrix....

Saturday, January 20, 2007 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I've finally figured out why I've been singing "que sera sera" all day! duh ;P

Sunday, January 21, 2007 2:29:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

finished - i try the yoda voice. sadly, i end up with a sore throat, which seems to go against jedi principles. the kids don't dig it much, either. as for my pay? priceless. the insurance program kinda sucks, though.

ftn - if you've tried the "spy" thing and people don't buy it, doesn't that go to show you're a most excellent spy?

as for my quiet time in the afternoons? yeah, parts of it aren't so quiet. there is that humming noise that breaks the silence, but which in itself is as hella cool as the idea of stalking the school halls in the body suit.

seriously...every mommy needs a break. or four. i'm just sayin'...

nanette - see above about the "quiet time." it does wonders for that afternoon slump! after those breaks, "whatever will be, will be..."

savage - i'm pushing boundaries with the gun holstered to my thigh. they'd stop me at the office if i walked in with whips and whatnot. besides, i'm not sure the kid can say 'dungeon...'

Monday, January 22, 2007 12:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You my dear are a 'Household Manager'. Google it and see what I mean. You have the hardest job I know of. Dont sell yourself short.

Monday, January 22, 2007 6:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there - new here, am also a SAHM of 2-1/2 kids. If you go to this URL (it's not spam, I promise), you can go into your preschooler's school with something to brag about :)

http://swz.salary.com/momsalarywizard/layoutscripts/mswl_newsearch.asp

I wouldn't trade my jobs for all that money either, but sometimes, I agree, it's hard to say 'no, I don't work... I raise my children to be loving, supportive, caring members of society" ... and I keep the (so bite me) to myself ;)

As for being a dominatrix, that's not always so glam either LOL

Monday, January 22, 2007 7:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with FL what could be better than being paid in hugs?

Monday, January 22, 2007 12:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home