...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, May 11, 2007

here we come to save the day...

My sons love superheroes and enacting Earth saving adventures. Just so you know, were it not for them, our population could have been ruled by unforgiving dinosaurs, held prisoner by marauding pirates and destroyed by giant arachnids. Just this week.

And let me tell you, those giant scorpions were bad ass. It was touch and go there for awhile.

You should also know they don't want your thanks. Oh no. They just want you, the people, to remember that you can rest a little bit easier tonight knowing they're protecting you. Even when it seems they're busy watching "Full House," you can trust they have an eye trained for evildoers. If you require their assistance, you need only summon a beacon juice box or chocolate chip cookie.

I caught them playing like this earlier in the week, and while it's cute (though I'd never tell them that! Superheroes are many things, but "cute" is not what they want to be thought of!) and I feel safe having their abilities on hand, I actually left them to their play thinking they captured everything it feels like for me to be their mom.

Let me share:
  • One day you want to be Spiderman. The next? Batman seems the way to go. When you can't decide, why not just be both? Some days, I feel like my identity is split and I require different capes or masks (never spandex suits, though - too unforgiving!). Like any superhero, I have numerous skills at my disposal. I can help with a math problem and try to knowledgeably answer questions about subjects I know nothing about. I can help create a diorama for a school project using only a shoebox, two lumps of modeling clay and a questionable looking feather found under the bushes in the front yard AND then transform into a wife, skilled at wifely things. It's not easy, but has there ever been a superhero who hasn't been tormented by some aspect of their dual identity? None I can think of. However, they always seem to carry out the job, no matter how it twists at them, because that's just what superheroes do.

  • Superheroes have to juggle a lot of balls. Sometimes I think the biggest one they have to keep up is protecting their alter identity from friends and family (props for thinking a simple pair of glasses or a dinner jacket is enough to do it!). However, I have to keep juggling a lot of balls. Sometimes more than I feasibly should. I'm planning calendars, signing releases, paying bills, packing lunches, making phone calls, answering emails, trying to be a good wife, friend and mother by staying connected, maintaining a home, and earning a small paycheck to contribute. Sometimes one of the balls I juggle is labeled "time for me." But I get dropped many times before I ever drop any of the others.

  • As prepared as they can be, superheroes don't always know what's going on behind their back. For me, rather than a glowering dragon I might actually sense, it could be a bill I'm unsure how I'll pay this month or the unexpected trip to the doctor because "Captain Invincible" jumped off the swings without sticking his landing. I've learned that even though there's mystery involved in being a parent, I have to let my senses tingle a bit so I can brace myself for the things that are out there, ready to sneak up.

Even though I've been doing this mom thing now for awhile, I'm sure I'll never have all the super powers it would take to be perfect at this job. Besides, I think being a mom would lose some of it's charm if my super power was that I did know everything. I'd rather remember on my own to stop and take in the lessons my two boys offer me, even when all they're doing is something as simple as saving the world. I hope all moms who will be remembered on Mother's Day, including those who swing by here on their webs, invisible airplanes or golden lassos, feel at least a little bit the same.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Oh, melt. Those boys are adorable!

Woot! Wi-fi rules!

What is perfect anyway?

Back at you! Mwah!

tgmulwvw

Friday, May 11, 2007 1:18:00 AM  
Blogger The Savage said...

You'll always be my hero, hotstuff....

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:25:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Way to go, DKG - this was a wonderful post!

Mom-as-superhero - I can totally relate. I see it in action, played out before my eyes, on a daily basis, as the intrepid Momofeight sallies forth in protection of civilization-as-we-know-it.

Hope your Mother's Day honors you appropriately. . .

(And, hey - Batman masks with Spiderman shirts - you gotta love it!)

Friday, May 11, 2007 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

You said you have to juggle a lot of balls. [Beavis snicker]

Friday, May 11, 2007 10:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew FTN was going to say that. I just came from spending a little time with my mom who I haven't seen for almost a year and I know I never realized how much she did or how many powers she possessed. She has always carried off the mild mannered persona quite well all the while hiding her true power and saving it for just the right moments. Happy Mother's Day to all the superheros out there.

yachr (not worthy of a superhero)

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger The Savage said...

Clark kent, there was a real gent.....

Friday, May 11, 2007 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Aw...your boys are adorable! Thank heavens they're out there saving us from the world...my boys retired some years ago, they were Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles interchangeably..
Stacie

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:55:00 PM  
Blogger FindingHeart said...

Ever notice that superhero women have nice, um, racks? I mean, the fact that Diana Prince could run at all... Man!

So, yes, most good moms would give Diana a run for her money. You don't have to fly to be a super mom. Have a great Mom Day Weekend!!

Friday, May 11, 2007 9:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those lads of yours are definitely ready to save the day, cool pic. And yes, I'm sure you'll do a great job in the end; your a hip Mum IMHO. That's important because it keeps you in tune to your kids.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Nanette - Let me say that I love that you can't stay away, even when you're at the second most happiest place on earth! Can't wait to hear from you again!

Savage - Ah, dear. I'm ordinary...

Desmond - Any mother who can birth and raise eight kids deserves to be the mentor superhero all mothers look to for guidance! I'm sure Molly would kick ass at that!

Thanks for your remarks, too!

FTN - I wish you knew how many times I rewrote that paragraph knowing someone (and by that I mean "you") would come over and give me the Beavis thing. Then I just realized there was nothing I could do, so I went with it. Because I love juggling balls.

Join me in the back row of seventh grade study hall, won't you?!

Finished - My mom lives two minutes away and we can go stretches not seeing each other. There are days I rely on her too much, though. But she's my mom. That's never going to go away. But man, I could go for some more mild mannered from her!

Savage - He would not be caught sittin' around in no
junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing...

Stacie - This was captured after I realized they were also incorporating a little Pokemon and Darth Vader into the mix, as well! They're going to cover all the bases for the universe. Take a deep breath. It's all going to be ok!

Finding Heart - Based on this female superhero fact, I need to determine my actual, potentially mutant power, craft together a billowy cape and get out there and start fighting for truth and justice. Just as soon as I can figure out how to balance myself while running with the rack and those always necessary high heeled boots.

Nocturnal - Thanks for the sweet words. If you ask my kids if I was a hip mom, my youngest would roll his eyes and then make some odd noise, and the oldest would probably concede after realizing you weren't going to give up the line of questioning. But I'll take the nice words where I can get them!

Monday, May 14, 2007 11:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home