...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

'i hear you're driving someone else's car now...'

so yesterday afternoon, the boys and i begrudgingly returned the sweet rental car and returned to our normal, minivan driving life. i didn't let them see it of course, but when we all got settled back in the universal mothership, i took a final glance over at the charger and a tear escaped me. i asked for a moment of silence to honor the demise of my pretend life, but the boys had quickly settled back into the routine that comes with the close proximity of being in the van. thus, the bickering and poking was too loud for my quiet prayers to be heard.

i'm not kidding you when i tell you i plugged the iPod in right away and the first line of the first
track to come up was that which i titled this post with. i'd simply post the video clip, but YouTube hates me, which is shocking when you consider the love I give it at this place. Taking it's shoes off and rubbing it's feet. Muttering sweet, sweet words in it's ear.

Fickle. Kind of like me, when I just realized I had started off writing this post in lowercase letters and I fought the urge to stay the course. I miss you, tiny letters....

So anyway, slipping back into the mini, honestly, was kind of like slipping back into the arms of familiar lover. The lover you fought with all the time and who was never really there for you when you needed them, but with whom you had really amazing sex, so every time you were around each other, you fell into bed or the kitchen counter. But then you'd wake up a few hours later, perhaps bruised and with an unexplainable hickey on the left side of your face, push the hair out of your eyes to get a closer look at this object of your temporal affections, and wonder what in the hell you were doing together.

But knowing you'd be back. "Oh, just try to keep me away..." you'd think.

Yes. Strapping myself behind the steering wheel yesterday afternoon was EXACTLY like that. Except this time, our connection was much more gentle. There was some fondling of knobs and admiring of shiny surfaces. I swear I heard the engine sigh "I missed you, baby," when I stuck the key in and turned. And cripes, the folks at the dealership washed and vacuumed the thing out! That fact alone almost had me searching out ways to get in additional accidents.

You're creeped out a little bit now, aren't you? All this talk about me comparing a used mini with some delicious lover? I don't blame you, but you'd think you'd be used to it by now when you come around here.

Let me further creep you out by telling you that every time
this song comes up on my iPod, I drop whatever I'm doing and dance. This makes driving my above love challenging at times, I'll give you that, but I have the moves. And I listen to it loudly. Without embarrassment. Oh, hell no. I'm not even embarrassed to tell you I once owned the cd. Or that it's not the only Hanson song on the iPod. Besides, who'd have thought they'd grow up to look like this? Well, just that singer/keyboardist one.

Transition time.

I discovered I've been tagged with the "10 Interesting Things about Me" thing by
youdamom.com. Quite honestly, this may take me awhile to complete because I'm uncertain I can come up with any more interesting things about myself. Some of my previous attempts have been brain stretchers. I tend to block out the bad stuff.

Of course, I'm thinking the fact that I compare my mini to a dirty, dirty lover and covet me some Taylor Hanson knocks an easy two off the list right away. What I should have you all do is make up eight more interesting things about me and we'll see where this takes us. But for now, it's time for me to eat some breakfast and
dance!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger FTN said...

All I can really say to this is that I totally love me some MmmBop.

And how come I can never get my minivan to treat me like that? Mine is more like that ugly, weird girl from the high school band that won't leave you alone.

And I'm not talking freaky "American Pie" bandgirl, either.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 9:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll just pretend the Hanson thing didn't happen. Most of my cares have been more like a series of one night stands that you wake up and ask yourself , "What was i thinking?" (At least what I imagine they would be like having never actually had one myself) It is a past littered with heartbreak.

aamlggo )ahh that's better)

Thursday, May 03, 2007 10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so the affair has ended. Does the mini understand? Does it understand your wandering ways, or is it oblivious? Does it know of you mini-destructive thoughts I wonder?

H____n? How did the sensors not catch that? Perhaps they were blinded by thoughts of the dance ...

Thursday, May 03, 2007 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

Hanson?
Okay, for the rest of this comment I replace the "f" word with the word "puppy".

I cannot believe you puppy linked me to a puppy Hanson song. Puppy that! Not just puppy once, but puppy twice! From now on, I am the puppy winner of the puppy song contest for all puppy eternity.

But hey, congrats on getting your puppy van back! That's puppy great!

Thursday, May 03, 2007 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

DAYUM! I feel like a dirty old lady, but holy heck, he cleaned up GOOOOD! We'll not mention the fact that I'm old enough to be his mother ok?

Stacie
ps...sometimes I miss my minivan, but I'd still kill for a Hummer..

Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

Hanson? Hanson? next yer gonna tell me you liked Nelson....
Flock of Seagulls I can understand... it's an 80's thing.. but Hanson?
Sigh...

If it weren't for the fact that I lust you I'd prolly be disturbed by the .. yes I am disturbed.. Hanson?
You are beginning to frighten me....

Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

I think it may be best if we never meet, or for that matter, come within several hundred meters of each other. I fear the concentrated oddness would collapse upon its own gravity and form a black hole which would suck in the planet and form a rip in the space-time thingie. Which would probably be considered bad by most people. Not all of course.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I'll shed a tear--Vegas would have been nice in that ride. :(~~~~

I, strike that, Peanut just found my old high school jewelry box. I am the proud owner of a mint condition Jordan Knight button. So, mmmbop has got nothing on me baby! ;)

ixicsmna

Friday, May 04, 2007 6:13:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

FTN - First out of the gate with some love for the MmmBop. Obviously our momentum didn't sustain itself for some of the others below.

And I've found this trick to get the minivan to show the love: Ignore it. Treat it like garbage. Let other people use it and leave their messy remnants behind. When you come back to it, it's gonna love you like you've never been loved by a mini before. And definitely not like that weird band girl love.

Though I probably could have been that weird band girl...hmmmm...

Finished - In the category of "What Where You Thinking?!" regarding cars, let me direct you to my first car - a 1974 Dodge Dart. Brown mustard yellow. No Air. No radio. Driver's seat busted in by the lump of the lady who owned it for ceturies before I was so blessed. That car screamed "Hey, Loser! Here's your very first car! Now good luck on getting that boyfriend!"

XI - The mini and I talked it out. It understands, even muttered something about how sometimes it's good for those who've been together as long as we have to take a little break.

And the censors catch nothing when the dancing begins. Such is part of my evil ways.

RS - I see you're going to make me quote Taylor Hanson and ask "Where's the love?" Geez, I mean, you're thinking that it's me you're fooling (Taylor again. Thank you), but you must have watched both clips, no? Why you gotta be a Hanson hater?! What the puppy is up with that?

And let me go back a few puppy steps. I thought the point of that song contest was to inject songs/clips that invaded your mind and annoyed you. That seemed to be the rules that kicked off the thing. Such being the case, then, I think it's pretty puppy apparent that I'll forever be the reigning puppy queen, my friend. MmmpuppyBop.

But admit it. You dig it. Just a little bit! Seriously, it's catchy. And you should be glad I didn't insert their "Man From Milwaukee," which I was going to. And still might...

Stacie - That's a little bit of cute right there, no? Well, again, mostly Taylor. Is it sad and lame I know all their names as easily as I did 10 years ago? Probably. Maybe a little.

And seriously, that no other male reader picked up on your Hummer comment is amazing! And a little disappointing!

Savage - If it will make you feel better, then no, I won't tell you that I may have owned some Nelson in my day. But it was dubbed off my friend's cassette. Ok, sure, I may have a couple tracks on the iPod now. Geez! What do you want from me?! I thought I eased into things with the whole NKOTB thing months ago!

Art - If I could listen to music that people actually like but wouldn't fess up to and ramble about whatever little thought popped into my pretty little head, and ok, we were forced to recreate the population, then truly, what would be so bad about the whole scenario you described? I just hope we don't have to wear some stupid spandex jumpsuits. That's all I'm saying.

Nanette - Umm...I also used to own (but no longer do) Jordan Knight's solo release. An impulsive moment at the Target one day in 1999 when I had nothing else to do on a lunch break. And ok, "Give It To You" is still on the iPod.

But now I want to know if you have some seriously huge earrings in that high school jewelry box. Any neon stuff? My stuff was all lifted from Claire's Boutique and it never failed, I always ended up with infected earlobes from the cheap stuff!

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:42:00 AM  
Blogger JUnderCovers said...

I'm glad you switched out of the all lowercase thing. That would have really bothered. Could have been the end of our friendship. (okay, not really, but thanks for doing it anyway).

Friday, May 04, 2007 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what happens when you're CONSTANTLY high;) I'm glad we crossed paths too. ~Luda

Friday, May 04, 2007 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

I'm getting all twitchy with the Hanson-hatin' going on here. I told myself I wouldn't get defensive, but now I'm gonna completely embarass myself.

Nanette (and the rest of you), do NOT go comparing the Hansons to a boy-band.

1) They wrote their own songs,
2) They played their own instruments,
3) They weren't plucked from a Disney show and thrown together by a fat megaproducer.

A song or two may have been overplayed, but you gotta give those kids their due props. So stop the hatin'.

Okay, I feel better.

Friday, May 04, 2007 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

J - At least you didn't opt to sever the ties of our friendship based on my musical selections for the day! Oh, but we'd have come around. I can't stay away, my twin!

Luda - We could go get constantly high together. It always looked sorta fun when my junior high friends were hooking up with their high school losers and I was sitting in the back, being the good girl. That or I just really grew to love AC/DC's "Back in Black" since that was all we ever listened to during said getting high part.

FTN - I'm a little dizzy and all "did you see that boy?!" swoony from the step up you just laid down there. Now granted, Nanette was pretty tame in any potential Hanson issues. She might roll with it if Jordan ever dissed her. But did you check out RS, tossing out "puppy" left and right!? It was a little scary for a moment there. :)

Seriously...I just used a typed emoticon. I am now officially the fourth member of Hanson, which makes me happy. I play tamborine. It's sexy, and MmmSoGood.

Friday, May 04, 2007 1:58:00 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

;)

I was a little suprised as well..
Stacie

Friday, May 04, 2007 3:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FTN - Hate to say this man, 'cause you know I love you, but defending Hanson puts you dangerously close to official girl status, I'm just sayin'.

Friday, May 04, 2007 3:20:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Boys - Please don't leave any blood spilled on my blog. It makes me queasy. You already know I don't clean up vomit, so that's out of the question, too.

But I like that this has the potential to go all "Jets" and "Sharks" here soon...

Friday, May 04, 2007 3:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That could be rough since i am not a very good dancer but i do snap my fingers pretty well.

Friday, May 04, 2007 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

Hanson is not a boy band, I couldn't agree more.

A little girl band? Perhaps!
:)

Even if they have mad skillz (that's right, with a 'z') they are still totally trite.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 9:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home