...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, July 13, 2007

'jai guru deva om..'

Yesterday afternoon, on a quest for groceries and pharmaceutical treasures, the boys and I piled into the mini and made haste to the welcoming arms of Target, that economic lover who embraces me warmly after every digression I make to Walmart.

I love you, Target. You and me forever, baby.

Anyway, the boys and I had just completed what can only be described as some stellar club worthy dancing to a little Information Society (goodness, I love me some of this song)) and then settled into a nice slow drift into transcendental happiness when the Beatles brought some calm back to the situation. I'm settled in, enjoying the quiet and the song, dodging traffic (wow, I do not miss driving in that every day) and the boys are acting as my navigators, alerting me to approaching roadway dangers when I made some off the cuff remark about the number of people out and about Thursday morning.

"Mama, there's just too much people in this world," my youngest replies.

And my heart warmed, because for a moment, I flashed on this truly intuitive five year old and thought about all he could accomplish in his life as some great sociologist or scientist dedicated to the efforts of making this world a more sustainable place for the growing populace.

I turned to smile at him, to agree, in time to catch him bopping his older brother in the head with his tiny little fist just as John Lennon gave me his final thoughts on his unchanged world and my thoughts were swapped out. From the looks of things, I wasn't - at that moment, anway - raising a boy who is so concerned with the world's population that he intends to grow up and create complex water purification systems or sustainable crop techniques to help his growing world.

No. What I've got going on is a little boy who intends to claw his way to the top of the world by any means necessary. First rung on his ladder is his unsuspecting older brother.

I suspect world domination may have taken place in the back of the mini before we'd ever reached Target's parking lot. However, before he could fully claim his rights, this charming little boy made his first decree by asking me to turn up the volume, for it was time to dance again.

And sadly, all those people in the world - at least those driving around us yesterday afternoon - witnessed us dancing in the mini again. Club mix. We're a pretty pathetic bunch.

For the time being, the world's probably safe. The kid's pretty happy just ruling the backseat.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Mmmmmm. . . Beatles. . .

(Altho, truth to tell, this wasn't one of my favorites, and it served as a harbinger of some truly pure-grade silliness in Mr. Lennon's life and artistic output) (But, hey, he was John Freakin' LENNON, eh?)

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:11:00 PM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Oh, and geez, if yer boy is truly, deeply concerned that there are too many people in the world, and especially if he's got an inclination toward world domination, don't tell him about us, OK?

;)

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Desmond - I never spill secrets!

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I would really rather be seen dancing in the car then have everyone see my husband purposely picking his nose, or doing the Charlie Brown like he does all the time. He loves to see people's expressions when he does stuff like that. One time, on our way through Virginia, on a road trip, we were stopped at a traffic light. He reached, pulled up his shirt, and started rubbing his nipples. Back all arched and stuff like he was having an orgasm. The people next to us started laughing and pointing. Holy Crap was that embarrassing. Although, it was hillarious too!

Friday, July 13, 2007 9:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My step daughter absolutley LOVES when I car dance. And finally she's at the point where she will do it with me sometimes. Also, she and I will have blood curdling screaming contests in the car to see who's the loudest (great excercise when youre all stressed out!).

And to choppzs - LOLOL that was hysterical. Thanks for sharing :)

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Ha!
Pathetic? I think not. The only pathetic ones are those too afraid to enjoy themselves and those that obsess over what other people are doing. :)

We are going to have so much fun on our road trip!

ddikdlpz

Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:58:00 AM  
Blogger Rug's Bug said...

My hubby honked his horn and waved at some girl the other day because she was alone in the car and singing. He's convinced that any girl between the ages of 16 and 21 permanently has a cell-phone attached to their ear. He appreciated her singing. She, on the other hand, probably thinks there's a pervert out there.
As for my 5-year old--I keep telling the 9-year olds that they better stop teasing him, because one day he will have enough, and then beat them up good. And they will deserve it.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

What they witnessed in those cars around you, was a totally cool mom having a great moment with her kids. I wish I saw more of that when I drive around here rather than the crap I actually do see. You are a rockin' mom! And as for the back seat rulers...well...all rulers have to start somewhere!

Stacie

Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Desmond - Even with the earlier shout, I'll give you another! Hey!

Marla - You're right! You're freakin' awesome in the secret department. So damn good, in fact, you've probably forgotten more than you have ever held onto. Once again, I deem you amazing.

Choppzs - The only thing I try to be seen doing in my mini is dancing, singing or taking a hit off the giant cup of diet Mt. Dew I have with me almost always. That's not to say I've not been caught doing other things in a car!

Terry - It's funny you mention the screaming contest thing, because my boys were also doing that on the way to Target. However, I don't think it was so much a contest as it was an effort to irritate me. I suppose that may actually make it a contest, and thus I dubbed them both winners so they'd immediately stop! I'm more a steering wheel banger than a screamer when the need to release stress crops up.

Nanette - Then we're going to have to draw straws to see who drives first on our little road trip to places we must figure out. Wonder who will let us crash at their place?

Rug's - I'm a fan of the honking fan! And I've told my 9 year old much the same thing. He needs to learn now never to turn his back on the 5 year old, because I've seen the gleam in that little boy's eyes a few times too many and I anticipate a palace overthrow soon.

Stacie - You humble me, sweet lady! And if you think my rocking out in the mini is something to see and appreciate, you should really see how I bust it out to clean my house!

Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home