...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

every single one of us the devil inside

in the spirit of halloween (wait! can we say that here? i've yet to hear of a single event held this time of year that involves costumes, candy and sad, tired jokes referred to as 'halloween'), my youngest son will be attending junior worship at church tomorrow dressed as an adorable little devil.

yes, because i would bathe in irony if possible, the beauty of this is not lost on me. if you knew me (or know me as you've perhaps come to in our lovely dealings here), you know i don't exactly walk very evenly down the path of righteousness. i find it fun to stumble a little here and there.

however, my husband is filled with the kind of christian goodness (guilt?) i didn't think was possible to acquire when i picked up this smashingly cute costume on clearance (natch!) at target two seasons ago. it suits the boy's nature.

that's right. when my preschooler isn't acting all devilish the rest of the year (the kid can rock some 'devil horns' with his hands when he becomes all possessed, and yes, i'll proudly admit to teaching him how to do it. sticking out his tongue as far as he can is an ongoing lesson we work on each afternoon), he gets to put on the official 'satan uniform' a few times each october. dapper red suit. adorably pointy tail, shiny black horns. the child rocks that look.


"yeah, um, can't he be the gorilla again?" my husband asks, assuming the hot, heavy, furry gorilla suit i had for him since he was a baby will once again illicit 'ooos and ahs' from our church family. "seriously. must he be the devil? it's church, for heaven's sake!"

to see this child and to ponder that question is to think, 'well....duh!' this charming little boy is sneaky, snarky and straight up evil at times.

in a cute way, mind you. he is a product of my creation.

and so, in reply, i offer a "hell no he can't be an ape! we're totally kicking ass in that devil costume." (yeah, i tossed in my own version of the 'devil horns' and tongue when i said it, too).

my youngest will not be a hobo, clown, super hero or pirate. we're doing this devil thing with gusto. if i'm to burn in hell, as my husband seems to think i'm going to anyway, it's so going to be for things other than my child's halloween costume.

but i bet the polyester goodness of the costume will get those flames burning pretty quick
.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Savage said...

when I die.. I don't want to go to Heaven.. I won't know anyone.. (wink)
I love the irony in the costume choice by the way...

Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

You could always tell your husband that putting him in the ape costume screams of darwinism which could be just as bad for the holy rollers! Please post how many 'looks' you get from the parishioners...you are awesome!

Sunday, October 29, 2006 1:19:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I love it! I hope the devil child shocks as many people as possible.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger Edtime Stories said...

wouldn't you want the devil to go to church?

Embrace the irony.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, I am trying to picture what would happen here (where a man got up today and decried the fact that 5 billion dollars is spent on Halloween every year.) I anticipate some awkward pauses, some smarmy looks and one ot two "atta girls from your secret cohorts. I have to admit, you got style girl.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 4:43:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

The devil costume garnered varied reactions, a nice balance of good versus evil, including that 'uncomfortable' laugh from the pastor, so, you know, my work was successful.

Of course, this truly makes me question what, exactly, my Christian gifts are. Probably just entertaining the masses in hell with the stripper pole. I suppose there's worse gigs.

Monday, October 30, 2006 9:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home