...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Monday, July 23, 2007

'make my stamen go beserk'

On our deck grows a veritable orgy of pepper plants. As we hit the end of July, I was beginning to think it would be early November before we ever feasted from the fruits of this labor ("Labor" being dumping seeds into a pot of dirt. This farming business is tough! Credit to those of you who feed the world!) But then this past weekend - magic! Tiny little peppers started popping out! Perfection!

Now, my knowledge of science, math and biology can only truly be credited to three things - Grease 2, Schoolhouse Rock and Nan, and the common theme that seems to run through my lessons is that talking to your plants has the potential to help make your plants grow.

Seeing as I have this raging desire to make stuffed peppers and adorn my salads with bright green pepper rings (or play ring toss after the kids go to bed. "Put your pollen tube to work" and all that. What? Nutritionists recommend up to five servings or more of fruits and vegetables a day, after all), I'm willing to turn my pepper plants over as a means of testing this theory.

Purely through research and extensive grant application processes, I've found there are (is) some sound waves out there, some voices, that seem to prove this growth theory in humans. Raise temperatures and such. At the risk of my peppers exploding everywhere, of not being able to adorn my meatloaves, I say screw ethics and lengthy lessons. Hit repeat and keep talking!
------------------------------
Hi, Internet!
I'm sure you've missed me, and so you pop over this Monday afternoon and find this rambling! Sigh. Trust me. It's roots are well intentioned, but come after a delish sleep-deprived weekend. Additionally, I've busted out some pure randomness two weeks straight. Eventually, you had to expect I was going to get to talking about, well, peppers.
In the midst of this nonsense, I want to send you all over to my friend Chag at Cynical Dad, and compel you to question his logic in having me be his guest dj for his "Song of the Day" inclusions on his posts. Of course, if you go there (and I suggest you do), you can expect me to be giving up the 80s love for my pretend husbands and lovahs! No one loves Simon LeBon like I love me some Simon LeBon. Step off, all you wannabe playahs!
You get that, too, when you come here. Really bad urban slang from a girl who has never been past the Nebraska border.
Word.
I'll try to have better ones later this week.
But voices? They rock...

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Desmond Jones said...

We've got a couple cherry tomato plants in hanging pots from our front porch, and suddenly, this week - VOILA! - little tiny round green wannabe tomatos. So I totally get your love for the home-grown salad fixin's. . .

And my 'pollen tube' has done more than its part for the future of the human race. . .

Just sayin'. . .

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger FTN said...

Ring toss with green peppers might be fun. Jalepenos, though, might be rather painful. That's the kind of rash I just don't need.

More INXS and Duran Duran? Come on, can't you try something new? I'm waiting to hear that you've been turned on to classical music, or some seriously twangy old-tyme country gospel, or perhaps some acid jazz.

Monday, July 23, 2007 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

All I know about gardening I got from the Little Shop of Horrors....

Monday, July 23, 2007 5:24:00 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

I wish someone would make my stamen go beserk, but alas, there is no one whispering sweet nothings as I grow into the woman I'm supposed to be.
Shit..I'm drinking too much if I'm admitting this out loud.
yep..I'm definitely drinking too much..
Ah well then, I simply won't sign this...

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

A photoperiodic reaction!

Oh, that's good, very very good!

You, my sweets, fn rocked that one! :D

fxyakkpj

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Confused Husband said...

If only my peppers were doing that good. I planted red and green peppers and they aren't doing well. Neither is the Basil. The guy across the street though brings us a big bag of tomatoes every 2-3 days with some kind of long skinny pepper. Honestly I don't want any more tomatoes as I don't eat them. But his mom is the one that brings them over and she don't speak english. At least so that I can understand her.

Sorry about the rambling I just did.
CH

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:05:00 PM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

Is it wrong that when I saw "ring toss" I went the same way as FTN? BOW CHICKA BOW WOW

Of course, the part that caught me here was all about the guest dj gig... you know I am lovin' me some music with you, but at some point you do realize there is more than just 80's music in the world, right? :)

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you don't even know what a pistil is.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Desmond - You're just talking dirty to me now, mister. As in dirty, nasty, disgusting tomatoes...shudder...Give me anything made with or by tomatoes and its' game on. Do not, however, give me a tomato.

But hats off to your pollen tube!

FTN - One would think another would not want to even admit to considering a game of ring toss with a jalapeno pepper, what with their small diameter and all. Nevermind the rash aspect.

More? More? I'll give you more. While I'm waiting for the world's greatest video to fall in my lap or for Tricia Thongs to get on the stick and finish hers.

Savage - I'm just a mean green mother from outer space and I'm bad!

Stacie - Check out the hottie with the new avatar! I'm coming over for a drink, then you can tell me all about this other business!

Nan - Hey, I'm lost! Where are we?

Chapter 2, page 5...

The never-ending saga...

(!) - not my very own made up emoticon. Just an exclamation point in some paranthesis! But goodness, in looking at it again, it could be an interesting emoticon...

CH - Ramblers welcome here. I mean, cripes, a rambler would write about peppers. Hey, whatya know...heh

That was rambling!

RS - It isn't wrong that when you thought ring toss, you thought along the same lines as FTN. It was purely my intention. Now, if you thought about playing ring toss *WITH* FTN, well, that wasn't my intention, and I'm an open thinker and all. I'll even toss in the bow chicka bow ow soundtrack.

And yes, I do realize that at some point music emerged from the 80s. However, I then laugh into the horizon as I stand over the crumpled bodies of those who would dare to try and argue with me that there has been any greater music than that from the pinnacle decade of my time!

Taja - I got your pistil right here...

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I wanna grow some stuff too, but I have a black thumb. I kill everything I touch. Plant wise, I mean. lol

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger Therese in Heaven said...

As a wife this isn't easy to say, but I think RS WAS thinking about a ring toss with FTN.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Choppzs - This is why I leave the heavy stuff, like watering and dumping seeds, to others around here!

Therese - Ah, I'm here for you if you need me!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home