...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Monday, April 14, 2008

the pajama game is the game i'm in

In the event I am ever chosen to lead the free world, expect the following to be instigated immediately:
  • No sequels to stupid horror movies. Additionally, no movies and/or television shows will be remade from old television shows.
  • I will marry Bono, and serve as the inspiration for at least three of 12 songs on each of U2's subsequent releases.
  • Research money will be set aside annually until such time a comfortable bra and a sensible, albeit sexy, pair of women's shoes are created.
  • Brownies are ripe with vitamins, anti-aging properties, and calorie free
  • All citizens will be expected to spend three days maximum/one day minimum in their pajamas.

This last mandate is actually the one aspect of world leadership I'm most looking forward to. It resides just slightly above having Bono sing passionate songs of angst about me, and mightily trumps the comfortable bra cause for there's rarely been a time my bra wearing has peacefully coexisted with my pajama wearing. Hell, I'm wearing pajamas right now. At least twice a month, I try to plant the idea that pajamas promote productivity and we should be able to wear them at work.

While I put together an exploratory team to gauge my chances of seeing these matters bloom into full glory, my kindergartner is already working behind the scenes at the grassroots level to sabotage my chances. About once a month, my son's class earns enough good behavior points to have a special day, and most often, the group (minus my little independent spirit) chooses to have a Pajama Day.

Last week, crushed by the mighty defeat handed to him by his classmates (the boy seriously wants Stuffed Animal Day), my son came home from school, tossed his backpack down, looked me in the eye and practically spit out the words I love to hear.

"Tomorrow is...(sigh) Pajama (sigh) Day," he declared. This is the part I love to hear, and that love typically stops there, but sometimes I think it's super cute to hear such determination falling from a six year old's mouth, so I egg him on and get what follows:

"I will NOT be wearing mine," he continued. "You can't make me. Don't even try. I will not. Nope. This will not be happening today. It will not be happening tomorrow. It will not be happening ever. Discussion ends now."

Now, I love Pajama Day because it means I don't have to have a small battle with the boy about what he's going to wear to class that day. These battles typically begin when I launch the "Why don't you wear your pink tshirt with your camo pants today, baby?" bomb. When he arrived home at 4 p.m., last Wednesday to tell me the following day would be Pajama Day at school, it should be noted that I was still in my pajamas. When my oldest son asked if I was still wearing the pajamas I put on that morning (therein lies the challenge of my personal Pajama Day mandate, for I don't sleep in the things), I wiped the crumbs from my antioxidant rich, calorie free brownie off my "Bad Kitty" pajama tank and lied, but whatever. All good world leaders lie at some point.

That night unleashed drama the likes of which I'd expect if I had daughters. I love the day, but I didn't make a big deal about it, because I've yet to get what my son's big deal about this experience is. Cripes, even the teacher rolls in sporting pajamas, and part of the kindergarten day involves rest time, so how comfortable would it be to snuggle up on the floor in your comfy jams. Yet, over dinner, my boy further declared his disinterest in sporting p.j.'s to school. There was bargaining. There was stress. There was debate. There may have been tears. Wait. Yes. There were tears. One would think I was hoping to send the kid to the bus stop sporting feetie pajamas with bunny ears and a little squeaker that played a lullaby when you poked his tiny tummy. Which, yes, it would be cute as sin, but the kid has this kick ass pair of skull and cross bones pajamas that are always at the ready for situations such as this. Stomping down the stairs the next morning, he was sporting the compromise we made during his bath time, when he'd reminded me for the 1,204 time in the event I'd not heard, that he'd not be wearing his pajamas the next day. Track pants over rocker pajama pants, his pajama shirt, skull blazing across his little chest, topping him off.

"If it makes you happy, I'll do this," he said, purely to make me happy, because his spiteful sounding voice made me grin, and that's really all that matters. That I'm happy. In my own pajamas, I gave him a hug, assured him he could change into regular clothes the instant he got home at the end of the day, even though I would perhaps still be in my own pajamas, and sent him on his way.

Then I plopped on the couch, tucked my matching "Bad Kitty" slippers under myself, and dreamt of the perfect bra and world domination. In that order. Get ready, America. It's coming.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger Backpacking Dad said...

Erin and I have Pajama Day quite often. It makes me happy when I know I don't have to get her dressed, or put on the one pair of jeans that I own that fit (because the rest are huge on me now, thank you very much), or comb my hair, or take last night's dinner out of hers.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are having Pajama Day at preschool soon! i can't wait. one of my faves!!

Yes, i 2nd that about the brownies. god, i love brownies.

You have a great day, Diff Gal!!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:13:00 AM  
Blogger Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Pajamas are the best. We call them our "COMFY COZIES." (can't believe I just admitted that!)

Contest over at my place! Enter if you dare!

Hallie

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:22:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

This post begs one question:

Is his teacher hot?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so when's the BLOG PJ party and why haven't I gotten my invite?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Eternal Sunshine said...

LOL! I think my boys would be cool with pajama day at school, but at home, I have to BEG them to put on some jammies, a nightshirt, underwear - ANYTHING so that they're not streaking around the house at bedtime...

Cpme to think of it, I want a pajama day!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

So many thoughts swirling around in my hyperactive little brain right now. . .

First, I'll say that Pajama Day loses some of its charm when the kids are in high school (and yes, I'm completely serious. . .)

Now, Molly's a SAHM, so it's not quite the 'statement' for her that it might be for some of y'all, to remain pajama-clad all day long. She's got some seriously comfy flannel ones that are like a second skin to her. I've earnestly endeavored to form the association in her brain that 'pajamas = no bra', but she doesn't always remember. . .

And, since I was 12 or so, 'Pajama Day' would've been pretty much synonymous with 'Go To School In Your Underwear Day'. Until I got married, and bedtime became associated with activities that require less bodily adornment than that. . .

Sorry for the long comment, but hey, you want me to have fun with it, right?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger you da mom! said...

yes, seriously! the stupid idiots didn't even know what the breakfast club was! it was maddening. they were all typing in their computers, frowning and shaking their heads, "the breakfast WHAT?" it was too much to take.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

I can't believe kids have a "go to school naked" day!

What? Who wears pj's anymore?

I can hardly wait to wake and get to work at 8 - nothings quite the same as the pajama game. This is the second comment today that I get to bring up my mad acting skills, as I was in the PJ game musical in high school. That's right, I was in a musical, and I'm straight! WOOHOO!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy Lou said...

I'm totally down with PJ day, but if you really want my vote you're going to have to move the calorie-free Brownie and the comfortable sexy shoes up higher on the list!

On the otherhand, if I wore my pajamas to work I might make more sales...

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:16:00 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

can the brownies be sugar free?

i live in my pajama pants. so much so it's not uncommon to see me at the grocery store with that "i just rolled out of bed" look. but whatcha gonna do? nothin'.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:33:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

Maybe we should all get together and decide what day we should all sechronize out PJ day???

My fave are dark blue with white clouds.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:27:00 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I loved pj day. Still do i guess, since i am sitting here in mine! lol

And you will surely get my vote if you add a couple more things in your quest for world domination. Here goes...

1. Men will be scientifically proven to have PMS and they will have to wear some sort of article of clothing every month that makes them miserable.

2. Men will be required to have at least 1 child in their lifetime. Naturally and with no drugs.

3. Vacuum cleaners will run themselves. I know, i know, there is rumba or whatever it's called, but the damn thing is so small and has to run all day just to pick up some stuff from a fairly large house. Not working.

That's all I got for now. Let me know if you need more ideas though. I am full of them! lol

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Bogart said...

Would I have to just wear boxers as PJ's? I don't own anything else.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:20:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

BP Dad - Curse those Ryan Reynold's abs, leaving you with one pair of jeans! Curses, I say!

Then I pause for a moment and whisper "Ryan..."

Katie - Oh, I am coming to preschool that day! I'll bring my brownies!

WWW - I've been known to call them "jam jams," so there's no shame in admitting anything around here!

FTN - I suppose so, in a super young, kindergarten teacher way. I realize this probably just sells the hotness thing completely. But what about me, eh? I totally talked to you today while in my pajamas!

XI - How's Friday for you?

Melody - I have to beg my boys to change from their pajamas and into clothes at home, but even my oldest one had this phobia about wearing their pajamas at school. I will never understand, for it would be like my dream school situation!

Des - Am I to understand Molly is sporting a bra to bed? I could never cope with that, but then, I'm often yanking the bra off at every opportune moment. Like at the grocery store.

No. Not really.

But I want to.

Basically, I hate bras.

you da mom! - This disgusting affair makes me want to stage a letter writing campaign against them!

RS - I think that 'go to school naked' thing is only in dreams. I mean, I only put the things on after I wake up. The world should go for this no pajama thing. I sleep so much better sans.

btw - did you sport any dresses in your mad acting days?

Mandy - How about sexy slippers? I would move those and brownies up higher to get your support!

kimmy - Oh, I love you, girl! Do your pj pants say stuff across the ass? I saw someone recently who had some on and they said "pink" and I could only think "Really? Does it really have to say that?"

I don't know where I'm going with this reply. Just know I'll work on sugar free brownies.

Bee - Does Friday work for you, too? My favorite pair have a little red headed girl on them and she's all "I know I'm god looking. Just ask me." I'll pull them out, and we'll be good to go Friday.

Choppzs - Done, done, done and done! Whatever it takes to get your support. Sport those pajamas proudly!

Bogart - Are they fancy boxers? Fancy boxers are a go.

Eh, I put the pajamas on after getting up, so however you want to roll, that works!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Please don't tell me what will happen if I wear pajamas more than the maximum of three days! I don't know that I ever get out of my pajamas--well, unless I'm leaving the house. :D

I'll bet that boy looked handsome in his little skull jammies!

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:25:00 AM  
Blogger The Savage said...

Not that I own any pj's but still there is a lust for you and your Hugh Hefner-esque pj sporting ways....

Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:54:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Nan - You know, sweets, that there are exceptions to every rule, so you can definitely wear pajamas every day!

Savage - I own more pairs than I wear, but what I'm lacking is the silk robe. I should look into that!

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friday it is! Now gotta get me some PJs on the way outta town .....

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

I would totally vote for you - you really have a sense of the real issues. But can Bono be mine because any man who can wear the same leather pants for like, 25 years, and still make them look good...

Anyways, I stopped by to thank you for leaving me a comment and getting the whole Gilmore Girls reference. I'll be back because you are fun!

Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

XI - No need to be too pajama picky. Tshirts are acceptable.

Susie - Um, I truly appreciate you coming by here and leaving such a nice comment, but I'm not sure I can bend on this Bono thing. I love him way too much. Enough that I'd step down from power if necessary to have him as my own...

Hope this won't keep you from coming back!

Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger 1blueshi1 said...

I am TOTALLY picturing you and The Mighty Rack topped off by The Raging Mane O' Hotness in these great Happy Bunny (is that what he's called?) jammies that say Everything About You Is Perfect Except For Nine Or Ten Things!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

1blueshi1 - Oh, I would love that pair of pajamas! The ones I have, and I can't recall the "brand name" are equally as snarky. One features pants and a tank with a cartoon kitten's face, feathers poking outta it's mouth, and the words "bad kitty" underneath it. The other pair are similar, but it has a cute little red headed cartoon girl's face and the saying "Of course I'm good looking. Just ask me" under it. Oh! And another pair, cute little cartoon sassy girl and the phrase "Not a cheerleader" under it.

They make going out for the newspaper in the morning more fun!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home