...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

25 or 6 to 4

In just a few hours, my family and I will be leaving for a short vacation. I had to Google the proper spelling of 'vacation' because it's been so very long since we've actually been on one. To put it in perspective, the last time we took a vacation, my oldest son, who will turn 13 on Thursday, was 2 years old. My youngest son, who wasn't around on that last epic, apparently bank draining adventure, has no idea what's in store for him when I say we're taking a trip. I honestly believe he thinks I'm telling him we're vacating, because he keeps looking around the place, trying to decide which of his most prized possessions he should salvage in the event we have to break camp here in the middle of the night. It's been fun watching him scurry about in a panic because he can't find his Nintendo DS that I've already packed away for our journey.

The title of this post probably gives away where we're going. Additionally, it represents:
  • The approximate number of hours we'll be on the road
  • How many times I'll ask that we stop so I can use a bathroom - in just the first 2 hours
  • A third of the cost for us to enjoy this grand adventure
  • How high I should count before responding to something the boys or my husband says
  • The scientific strain of germ I fear picking up from the hotel bedspread
Good times! If you haven't figured out yet where we're going, here's another hint. It rhymes 'tomato,' but only if you say 'tomato' as though you were quite proper and British. Are you quite proper and British? No? Then here's another rhyming clue - "Key Largo." No, we're not going to Key Largo. Do you really think I'd just give you the answer? Besides, if we were actually going to Key Largo, I'd have referenced another equally annoying song from the late 70s/early 80s in the post title, but that would have given it away completely, and where's the fun in that?

Nowhere, that's where!

Oh, but we're going somewhere (insert enthusiasm! and preparedness! and fun! lots and lots of fun!) here! So here's your final clue:

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Anyone?

Yes! That's right! Chicago! What gave it away? It was the word 'Chicago' wasn't it? No? Awww, you guys are just a bunch of brainiacs, aren't you?!

Sadly, according to our Garmin, Google Maps, Rand-McNally, Google Earth, and every other devise and/or website Tool Man has consulted today, it's far more than 106 miles for us to get there from here. Pity, really, because I could probably make that without any bathroom breaks and all the weary travelers would be happy.

Speaking of happy, I think the kids are really looking forward to our trip. At least, I think my oldest son is because he's been gleefully informing me about how he "doesn't want to go to Chicago!" and asking "Why are we even going there, anyway?" As you might imagine, I'm really looking forward to spending this quality time with him.

Before I can bask in his brightness, though, I have to finish laundry and pack. Tool Man has Julie McCoy-ed the hell out of us for this trip, but for some reason, he neglected to inform me of his tight schedule until today, so the fact we're leaving Sunday morning comes as a tremendous surprise to me. It's no wonder, really, why we never go on these wacky things. What is surprising, though, is how we've made it this far and not killed each other. Don't you wish you were tagging along?

I wish you were. We could stay up late giggling in the hotel room after a day spent tearing up Chicago sausage king-style like Ferris, Cameron and Sloan, which I fully intend to do when I'm not staring at some ancient artifact at a museum or weeping at the sheer joy my oldest child is having. Are there any parades schedule for Chi-town next week? If so, watch the nightly news for reports about how I rocked the Danke Schoen out of that town.

But before all that, I must finish laundry, pack, and encourage all of you to please, don't miss me too much. I know it's hard not to, but really, when I've only been posting once a week (or, ahem, less), doesn't this just seem like normal? Just trust I'll be back and know I'll eat a Chicago dog for you. Maybe. I don't like tomatoes and I'm not particularly fond of hot peppers. We'll see. Either way, you're probably going to miss me (sorry!) and I will be back, so everything will be OK.

Especially after I quit singing that damn Chicago song.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger middle child said...

Be careful,...I mean, drive safely. Hope you will be ok,..I mean, have a great time. Kisses. (only a 1/2 pack smokes? - boy you travel light!)

Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Have fun... those 13 year-old sounds of laughter and glee, as he enjoys tormenting... errr, enjoys the relaxing new experiences... yeah, sigh, didn't think you'd be fooled.

Have fun anyway, and good luck getting the song out of your head.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Brian o vretanos said...

Have a good time. I suspect I'll spend the whole time you're away trying to learn how to say "Chicago" so it rhymes with "tomato"

Sunday, August 15, 2010 1:04:00 AM  
Blogger 2amsomewhere said...

I think it would have been even funnier if you would have taken this trip a week or so ago, just to coincide with Lollapalooza.

Have fun!

They Might be Giants, "813 Mile Car Trip"

--
2amsomewhere

Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:03:00 AM  
Blogger The Savage said...

Have as much fun as FADKOGedly possible. Lotsa lust!

Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm guessing you're already gone so all my words of wisdom will fall on deaf ears. Damn. Sooooo....

Welcome back! I missed you so much! I'm glad you had fun! I knew you'd change your mind about the Chi-dog! Wasn't it great?!

I'm done being an ass. Although I may be back in a couple of days just to keep cheering you on.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Well, you know, I've got certain, um, you know, Family Connections in Chicago. Which, the locals will tell you, with a certain degree of annoyance, is pronounced 'Chi-CAW-go', not 'Chi-CAH-go'. Whatever. . .

I know you've probably got your itinerary set by now, since, you know, you're probably there by now (but, you know, does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?). But the Museum of Science and Industry is one of our favorites. And the Aquarium, too. . .

And if you get the chance, catch Geno's Pizza, on the North Loop; top-shelf Chicago-style pizza. . .

But hey, have fun, and we'll see you when you get back. . .

Sunday, August 15, 2010 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Hey, as a Chicagoland native, let me recommend that you use the Chicago City pass for museums. If you're planning on going to more than 1 of the 5 main attractions (Sci and Ind, Aquarium, Field, Planetarium, something else and also the SEARS Tower or John Hancock building). You will save BIG BUCKS by using the passes.

Also, remember that the Lincoln Park zoo is FREE and cool. Oven Grinder's Pizza by Lincoln Park area is DIVINE (and the site of a big mobster shoot-out, back in the day).Ummm... what else?

Oh! I am hosting a vacation package for Cleveland (which is ALSO Midwest, strangely enough) so you can try to win that and go on TWO vacations in ONE YEAR. One can dream, right?

Have fun! Don't go crazy.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

Ummm... ::scratches head:: did you know I live in Chi-town and maybe I would have loved to meet you?? Huh?? Well??

Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:19:00 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Good luck. Try not to kill each other. And don't bring a blue light to look at your hotel bedding.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:41:00 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

You quoted the Blues Brothers, I just got a little choked up.

Sweet Home Chicago.

Orange Whip, Orange Whip, Orange Whip? Three Orange whips.

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:41:00 AM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

You quoted the Blues Brothers, I just got a little choked up.

Sweet Home Chicago.

Orange Whip, Orange Whip, Orange Whip? Three Orange whips.

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:41:00 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Just to let you know, I started singing the song as soon as I saw your post title, so I knew RIGHT AWAY where you were going. Just saying.....:)

Next week the Tall Ships come sailing in to Navy Pier. That's something to see, I hear. You can also sail on a ship and each sailing time offers a different experience.

Of course you have to visit Millennium Park to see "The Bean", and the lips-spurting water park.

The Art Institute is my favorite right next to the park.

Have a great vacation.

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:56:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

I hope your pizza is as good as the East of Chicago pizza I just consumed.

Looking forward to hearing of your adventures upon return.

Monday, August 16, 2010 11:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how your oldest doesn't want to go. Good luck with that one! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on your trip and come back to regale us with hilarious stories. Have a safe trip!

Monday, August 16, 2010 11:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Bejewell said...

My husband recently suggested a road trip to take the Bean to a well-known state observatory. I thought that sounded great and asked him how long of a drive that would be. Turns out, it is eight hours.

EIGHT.

HOURS.

And then I asked him if he was high and he said no but I'm pretty sure he was because come on, really. You would just HAVE to be high. Right?

Have a super holiday!

Monday, August 16, 2010 5:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you swing by DC and pick me up?

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:27:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

have a fantastic time. is your rental car cameron's father's porsche?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:30:00 AM  
Blogger the weirdgirl said...

Have a great trip! And while killing your family is inadvisable (as per your numerous comments above) MAIMING any family members, just a little, is completely therapeutic.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Hate to say it, but the Art Institute will bore a child to tears. They will most likely get a bang out of the Tall Ships and the museum of science and industry. Going on The Ledge at Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower) is a trip w/o the drugs! I agree that Gino's East is the best pizza. (Can you tell that I have lived here for 40 of my 46 years?) Several of the museums have "free days" (admission fee is waived) during the week which is worth investigating. Have fun and yell "I'm here!!!" real loud so I know you arrived safely.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger TwoBusy said...

Seconding the Sears Tower. Those ledge things will scare the pants off ya. Pure awesome.

Have a great time, you.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:28:00 AM  
Blogger Vodka Mom said...

have a GREAT time.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger Carolyn...Online said...

By now you should be just about ready to kill the children and are wondering WHY you left the house in the first place

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Madame Queen said...

I hope you will at least eat some deep dish pizza while you're there. And yes, I DO wish I was tagging along!

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

Six and three is nine...nine and nine is eighteen...

Man, I love that song. Chicago is a totally awesome city. Hope you are having a blast!

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Christina Lee said...

Well good! Live it up, girl!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home