...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

the origin of kickass

so i considered titling this post 'the evolution of kickass' and giving you a variety of photos in which you could bask in the lightness that is me as i embark upon my own little birthday celebration today. then i remembered a little junior high-era photo highlighting my stellar choices of feathered hair, a 'flashdance' shirt (that's right, baby, a little bare shoulder for the school photographer!) and a foul look that clearly says "fuck you, mom, if you think this one's going in a frame in the living room." instead, i decided perhaps it's just best to stick with what's always cute from my earlier works.

what i dig about this photo is that at eight months of age, i'm already perfecting the kickass attitude (in a pink bikini, no less). the little shoulder lean. the smile that rides the fence between a smirk and demure. coy like no other and in a way i've perfected over the ensuing years.


without any thought, i know i pull these same moves today, many (many!) months and fewer bikinis later. you could be chatting with me about anything (anything!) and at some point i'm going to give the 'lean in' coupled with the 'look.' depending on the topic, it will fluctuate between the smirk and demure. i'd like to opt for the smirk as often as possible, thank you.

cripes. i'm so full of myself. but it's my birthday. totally entitled to don my pointy hat and grab the biggest piece of cake with extra thick pink frosting. much like i'm supposed to the remaining 364 days of the year.

i'll be spending this year getting ready to knock on the door of a new decade. according to the men i hear speak of it, this new era in life is supposedly (say it with me!) kickass for women. of course, men can slide into any new decade and only seem to improve with what seems to be much less work than we with the x chromosome put into it. obviously my mission will involve fewer slices of that cake with pink frosting (but savage in some pink frosting? hmmm....).

so here's my little whispered "happy birthday to me." ("i'm feeling thankful for the small things today" - ah! a little lyrical diversion. first person to name the group without googling it gets to help me blow out candles. yeah! you know you're all hot at that idea now!).


thanks for joining the party (oh, yeah, ftn, if you happen to stop by, the answer is by all means male strippers. and the pay is merely my smirk of delight. surely that's enough, no? or do i have to lean in to make sure you see it clearly?)

18 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

If my wallet was infinite I would bestow upon you all the finest money could buy......since it is not...I will simply wish you a most pleasant day with all of the pink frosting fantasies you can handle ;)

And, damn, I don't have a clue on the lyrics....maybe next year I'll get to help you blow :)

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:40:00 AM  
Blogger The Savage said...

Happy birthday!.. New decade huh? 20?
I am so bad with guessing age.. a lot of women never seem to mind though.. as I tend to guess down.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 4:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May your cakes have an overabundance of pink frosting and may this next year be your most kickass!

Happy Birthday!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!

Don't be so biased. Any frosting will do!!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Happy birthday! No clue on the lyrics, but I'm singing Happy Birthday to You right now!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:34:00 AM  
Blogger Edtime Stories said...

Happy happy...do for you today.. hugggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

Happy Birthday! Woo-hoo, cake and frosting!

Hey, I remember you, you drive like a PTA mother. (Cracker. Nice.)

So do I get extra points as a stripper if I'm dressed only in pink frosting?

(Smirk + Lean In = Just perfect, thank-you-very-much.)

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

i love how well this gratuitous pimping for birthday greetings is playing out! aren't you all wonderful! thank you!

Savage, man, you've damn near made my day with that age guess. Extra frosting for you, my friend!

Kudos to FTN, who gets to blow candles out with me. When you're done, I'll bring you a draft beer in a plastic cup. And yes, there is extra points for stripping dressed only in pink frosting, but I'm totally intrigued by how you plan to get said frosting off (picture me leaning in, smirking and wondering if help is necessary)

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Brithday and eat all the pink frosted cake you damn well please

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, ADKOG

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! And btw you should have posted the pic, for our generation :) Believe me I have one with my flashdance shirt on, oh and the big hair too LOL...

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday, you demure little thang!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:30:00 PM  
Blogger Digger Jones said...

Happy Birthday!

Well, if Emily fails to write you a proper party, *I* will, complete with assordid games and there WILL definitely be a spanking!

D.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger JUnderCovers said...

OMG, I am SO pissed that you didn't share the feathered-hair Flashdance picture!! That is not fair teasing us with such things and not sharing!

Happy Birthday anyway!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture is so cute. I keep flipping back to your page just because that picture makes me smile. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Better late than pregnant! : )

Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger James Scolari said...

so, d'ja get any good presents?

Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger James Scolari said...

and yes, not cool to tease us with the idea of a pic of you, and then not deliver. keep it up, and I might have to post something from my own collection!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Cherrie said...

Happy Birthday! Love the vintage HNT! Hope you are wearing a woman-sized pink bikini tonight, with a woman-sized drink to match!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home