...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Monday, February 18, 2008

'wish me love a wishing well to kiss & tell'

So Valentine's Day, eh? Went off without a hitch at my house. Hope it worked out the same for those of you who took a little stock in the day. That hunk of gloriousness I call my husband surprised me and came home a day early so we could spend Valentine's Day together. This was lovely, of course, and was richly rewarded, even if I didn't yet have someplace to stow our kids for the night, and it was too cold outside to grill the steak I planned to make him so I had to blow the dust off the George Foreman grill.

(fyi - that freakin' George Foreman makes a mighty fine steak!)

We exchanged lovely and heartfelt cards before the boys got home from school. I bought the first card I read (at the Walgreen's!) because it was absolutely fitting to my husband's personality and his little jokes. I can't say how long it took my husband to pick out the card he gave me, but he told me it made him laugh, so he knew he had to give it to me. I gave him the one on the left. Sensible, yet cute. He gave me the 'Sex is GREAT!' card. This is our line of greeting cards, btw. Don't I look hot as a blonde? Who knew the Tool Man wanted me to lead him around by a collar? Certainly not me, the woman who thinks she's a 50s-era housewife who busts double entendre all over the place.



I know you're wondering, so I'll let you know that yes, there was a present. A little something for the two of us that the Tool Man picked up someplace other than Walgreen's. Someplace where they like to look at your driver's license when you walk in the door and the inventory can often by found for less online, but when you're looking to get it on with your wife and/or significant other, you're willing to drop the bucks down on.
So, all in all, it was good. Very good. I apprieciate all the nice comments from people on the last post, including those of you new here. Hope you'll come back from time to time.
------------------------------
On to other business. Last week, the lovely Lori and the equally as lovely Scarlett each tagged me with a meme, asking me to list five material wishes and follow those with five spiritual wishes. This, of course, made me get all "Hmmmm. Think. Think. Think. Tap forehead. Tap. Tap. Tap," for a few days, but I think I finally got my list narrowed over the weekend.

Material wishes:

1. My quest has been and will remain this until I either find them or invent them - a sexy yet supportive bra and a pair of sexy yet sensible shoes, neither of which you even realize you're wearing because they are just THAT comfortable. I hope this miracle happens in my lifetime.

2. A giant, spa retreat-worthy bathroom, complete with heated tile floors and heated towel bars, a whirlpool tub, and a huge shower enclosure with several shower heads placed at different (and, um, delightful) heights. Oh, and I want the walls to be soundproof, the counters to be covered in vases filled with lilacs, and music wafting from speakers in the ceiling. Bliss. Basically, I want bliss.

3. Someone to come to my home every week or so and give me a spa treatment after I've locked myself away in the above mentioned bathroom. I want the works. Facial, manicure and pedicure. They don't have to talk to me if they don't want to, and I don't want to feel icky about that, thinking I've got to fill the silence with small talk. However, if they wish to tell me about some new invention they're working on called the "It's Like Two Tiny Cherubs Cupping Your Knockers" bra or the "You've Got To Be Freakin' Kidding Me!! These Magical Things On My Feet Are SHOES?!?" shoes while they're working me over, I'd be all ears.

4. Our house remodeled for a bit more room for all the material things that currently makes me crazy to have in my house, yet have resigned myself to because I'm raising two growing boys and one slightly older model boy who can't seem to part with his various items of memorabilia for hobbies and/or sports he's never had any real interest in. Ahem. Of course, I'd like the entire house paid off and the attached garage to house two paid for, newer model vehicles (Only vehicles. Enough with the boxes and junk already, thanks).

5. To travel. Anywhere and everywhere. I want to go all fashion model poses in front of the Eiffel Tower, complete with the beret and kicky red heels (I suspect the invention of my magical invisible sensible yet sexy shoes will be bankrolling this trip in the future) and massive bouquet of balloons that I'll let free to waft through the glowing Parisian night sky. I want to drink coffee while old men tell me about their lives as I look over the bright blue sea in Greece. Walk where members of my family walked in Scotland and Ireland (where I may also probably - aka "without a doubt" - stalk Bono). Take an observation boat out to the Statue of Liberty. Plant my feet in the sand on the west coast. I may have to take a free spirited lover in order to see this wish play out. My husband grew up traveling, and sadly has no real heart for it any longer. So, of course, my free spirited lover must have hefty material bank accounts. Or be Bono.

Spiritual wishes:

1. To truly believe that by asking for forgiveness, I've been forgiven. At the core of who I am and what I believe, I know this is the case, but being able to let it go is a stumbling block.

2. To be able to feel comfortable enough in myself as a Christian to share that with others. Right now, I shy away from opportunities where it seems a door is being opened because I feel that, just because I believe something, I don't know enough to back it up.

3. To explore the idea of fasting and spiritual gifts on a deeper level. I've participated in a few 24-hour fasts as part of a prayer room experience my church has done and, in retrospect, I don't know that it's necessarily the fasting part that has been enlightening so much as how entering into a room, alone and free to worship as I wished for my time, was so magnificently freeing to me. The experience also, at times, broke me. I felt gutted the moment I knelt at the cross and offered up my prayers or asked for forgiveness of my sins, and it is that feeling, not the feeling of pushing aside any hunger or what have you, that has, at times, been the most enlightening to me as I try to figure out my way on this spiritual journey I, quite admittedly, struggle with.

4. To be open to the idea of praying with others or praying out loud with others. While I have no qualms about praying for someone, I do so privately. Yet, in doing so, I feel like I'm squashing a connection I could be making with other very powerful believers who could be helping to further me with this particular wish. I've had people pray for me - both on their own and by actually surrounding me in their words and arms - and, while it may sound "odd" or what have you to someone, I firmly believe I've left those experiences feeling lighter. That having someone pray for me was a means of shouldering some of the burden I could no longer carry because I was finding it too difficult to hand over whatever it was that I needed help with on my own. I find that my lack of Biblical knowledge puts a roadblock up when I'm with others and we're praying out loud together. I don't think that's really supposed to be how I feel.

5. To feel as connected and open to the experience during the message portion (and beyond) of church as I do during the worship portion. I love worship music. Love it. I love watching talented people offering their praise through music. It is a point in church where I can, and often do, close my eyes and sing without thought other than that particular moment. I don't care who sees me or what they think (though they shouldn't be thinking anything about me in church, eh?), because at that moment, church is everything I want it to be. I wish that same feeling was there as I sit and listen to the message.

OK. That's the wish list. I'm not sure if any of these items are available for purchase at the Target, but I'll check this week when I go to pick up some more hair conditioner and nice buns.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

This uh... present, was it an antique easy bake oven?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger Laura B. said...

I do understand and share a lot of your spiritual wishes. Very good list.

Also, you have to share if you find that bra and pair of shoes. They would revolutionize what it means to be a woman!! ;-)

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:28:00 AM  
Blogger Phyllis RenĂ©e said...

Enjoyed reading all your wishes, but #5 on the spiritual list I can truly relate to. There have been many times I didn't want the worship to end, because I had entered such a beautiful, peaceful, loving place and knew I was in God's presence.

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your lists, girl. I can relate to alot of those spiritual wishes. Thanks for sharing!

Have a great Monday!

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

okay, so can you share your material list with some of your bitches or are you gonna be stingy? cause number 1? yeah. my girls need a sexy yet supportive lift. i can do without the shoes as i'm always in socks most of the time so we can nix that one.

number 2? need one of them too.

yeah 3 too. and shit 4 is good on my list too. and 5. i need to get the hell out of dodge my damn self. it's freakin cold here.

as far as your spirtual wishes-
i'm eating. i aint fasting for no one. unless ben affleck asked me to give up my burger then i might.

the rest of it-i can only hope for the same.

great list. and it sounds like you and the hubs and george [foreman that is] had a great evening.

good for you! and good for him!

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

We remodeled our kitchen last year, and the new one is truly stunning! But, one of the unintended side-effects is that now, our bathroom looks really dumpy. . . But hey - lilacs. . . I love lilacs. . .

Your 'Spiritual' list is truly worthy. Substantial. I can't help thinking that you're not 'struggling' quite as much as you think you are. . .

But even if so, Jeremiah says (prophetically) that, "You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart."

So you've got that going for you, which is nice. . .

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:50:00 AM  
Blogger Therese in Heaven said...

I totally got RS the exact same card that you got your hubby. I guess great minds really do think alike! :)

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

So these cards - what do they say on the inside?

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:26:00 PM  
Blogger FTN said...

You know those stereotypical '50s housewives were probably wild animals in the sack.

Now I must read your five spiritual wishes once again and spend some time contemplating...

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

This was worth waiting for. I would love to have any your material wishes. I would put out for a fancy bathroom!

The spiritual wishes blew me away; great list. I think A LOT of believers feel the way you do. I completely agree with #5. I love the worship at our church along with the message, but there are some days where I wish we could just sing praises the entire time.

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:56:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I could use that spa right about now along with the masseuse.
I hope for all your spiritual wishes to come true--I'd hope for the material side too sweets, but I can't be too greedy in the hope department.

Terrence Trent D'Arby, I'm sure I've butchered the spelling, but I know who sings the song. :D

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone who actually put in a whirlpool tub when we remodeled our bathroom a coupla years ago, I have to say - even without the heated floors/towel bars, multiple shower heads (I'm gonna pretend not to know what you're talking about) and acres of lilacs - it's just about the best. Thing. Ever.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:36:00 AM  
Blogger Patriot said...

Great post! Thanks for your honesty.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Bogart said...

Glad you took the time for your spiritual/meaningful wishes...I enjoyed reading them!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger ebeing said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:38:00 PM  
Blogger 1blueshi1 said...

you know, I've always found that no matter how uncomfortable the shoes, being able to pat the DH on his head and call HIM, Shawty, is pretty satisfying!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:46:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Bee - Um, a little something that works on more than a light bulb, that's what he splurged on!

Laura - Believe me, if and when I stumbled upon the formula for the perfect bra, I'm going to shout it from the rooftops and get myself on all the news outlets. After I enjoy it silently for a week or so, that is!

Phyllis - My church has talked a few times about having just a worship-centered Sunday in the past but hasn't done it yet. I'd love to spend the hour that way.

Katie - You're welcome! Thanks for reading! Hope your own week has been going of well (see? W!)

Kimmy - Let's you and me get outta dodge (a balmy -9 right now! jealous!? oh, wait. it's probably cold where you are, too!). Anyway, let's you and me get outta dodge, rip off our shirts and lift up our voices in worship. Then we'll go out hunting for the perfect bra and do our best to ignore the stares and gasps of people who are all "Why are those two women walking around without bras and singing about Jesus? What kool aid cocktail have they ingested?"

Think about it. You know where to find me.

Des - Would you consider seeking out grants or other funding to help me achieve my dream bathroom? I'd even scrap the lilacs offa the list of necessaries if need be!

I love that from Jeremiah. I read that a couple days ago and jotted it down and stuck it in my pocket for now.

Therese - Great minds like ours could lead the world one day, but I'm confessing here (and maybe it's been obvious from elsewhere) but I don't know if I can handle that much responsibility!

Des - The inside of my demure and sensible yet sexy card reads: "You know, I usually have such a hard time finding the right card for you." (seriously, it was perfect because my husband says stuff like 'you've got nice buns' when I'm at the grocery store perusing the buns. I shall not tell you what he says when I'm in my unremodleded, lilac-free bathroom!

The inside of the card he gave me reads: "But kinky sex is a hell of a lot more FUN!" I do not know where he is testing this hypothosis, but apparently he's close to publishing his conclusions!

FTN - Even those of us who pretend to be those stereotypical 50s housewives are wild in the sack. Which probably contributes to my husband's hypothosis up there. It's pretty wild when you consider we have to push the twin beds together to commense with the lovin.'

No, we do that to pray together. Thus, my spiritual wishes.

Scarlett - I'd probably put out for a great bathroom, too! I probably shouldn't say that here though, to you directly, because suddenly, I could see that being read wrong and the thought going all 'girl/girl, baby, yeah!'

(but I would put out for one, without a doubt)

Let's just go to church next week and sing. We'll keep singing even after the worship portion is "so called over." Then let's see how that goes over and report back to each other! 'K? It's a deal. Shake on it. Or booby bump. Whichever you prefer!

Nan - Got the singer! Good job! I'd reward you with a great massage at a location of your choice, but I can't even get that for myself! Come join us as we run away in search of these magical delights! We'll sing Terrence Trent D'Arby songs.

Then we'll have to think of a few more new songs because he only had a few to pick up on. Oh well, not a problem!

Twobusy - Thank you for confirming my desire for something like this is not just a dream. Well, in my world, it's probably a dream, but I'm asking you not to get freaked out if you come home one day and find a strange woman (that would be me) using your remodeled bathroom. I'll wash my towels and be out of your way in no time!

Patriot - Thank you, and thank you for taking the time to read and comment. It's appreciated!

Bogart - Thank you! There were many more, but I had to narrow them down. Didn't want to come off as completely spiritually needy! Appreciate you taking the time to read them and let me know!

ebeing - Good to know. I hear such wonderful things about Whirlpool. Yep.

1blueshi1 - To do that, I'd have to invest in some "10 Minute Shoes" (as the saying goes) and then stand in one spot and make my husband come to me so I could do that to him. Then he'd ruin it by being all "Why you calling me a fine ass woman, woman?" and I'd probably start to laugh and then hobble on my shoes, fall down and sprain my ankle. So yeah, I have to weigh the pros and cons!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:39:00 AM  
Blogger Biscuit said...

So, do you want the room to be sound proof so that no sound gets IN, or so that no sound gets OUT? :)

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Lipstick Jungle said...

Im moving into your new spa bathroom - I will even bring the lilacs - and then we are going to pray out loud together to our cabana boys who will deliver Bono and Chad (Kroger of course) and maybe even Stevie (Perry that is) to us with wads of cash and tickets to far away places, and a secret surprise visit to the new swedish factory that the magic comfy sucks it all (and I mean all sista - ass, thighs et al) in bra's and sexy comfy shoes.

Hmmmmm yeah. Im movin in.

But first I must clean my closets! Since you have closet envy, shall I share that we also drive a Ford F250 Super Duty 4 Door Crew Cab in sexy hot red?

You can have it if I can live in your bathroom!

Oh, oh, who outdid who on the dang frigid today? We were -19 this morning with 40 mph winds! grrr... I mean brrrr!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Lipstick Jungle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger Lipstick Jungle said...

And because I love those stupid "guess the letters because your blind" character pictures, I am back to finish my other comment...

I agree with Scarlet - most Christians feel the same way you do but are too afraid to admit it. Isnt it sad that what makes us human also restricts us from being human? It was hard to choose people to do this particular meme because you dont really know who might take offense to it. I am very happy to say that I have found bloggy friends who are not afraid to share those inner thoughts. Its rejuvenating - even to say it just once. KWIM?

Off to see if I can get it right the first time! ;)

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Biscuit - Totally soundproof. In and out. Go big or go home, I say!

Lori - I'm shaking at the thoughts of a truck like that in m driveway. Believe me, I'd do some praying in something like that! You'd have to enjoy my soundproof bathroom if that was the case!

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger TitansFan said...

I hope your wishes came true. One of mine did recently. I got a new Steam Shower. Bliss is not even enough to show how much I love this thing.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home