...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

this year, I also learned to walk and eat solid foods

I started blogging last September 13. On a dare. Well, not so much a dare, but for the sake of editorial freedom, I'm calling it that. I intended to be a "one and done" blogger. No one was going to read me, and really, I didn't think I had much to say anyway, so why go through those few steps to create a blog? I'd post a couple times, continue to silently enjoy the writing of others, and then hit 'delete blog' and say I'd given it a shot.

Welp. So much for that. One year and nearly 200 posts later, here you go. Me. FADKOG. Wordy. Very wordy. I should really be a writer. I wonder what that pays. Hmmm.

I'm kind of hooked on this thing that started out as a dare. Like I used to be hooked on having a routine to my days and an organized life and an empty TiVo because I was all caught up on my favorite shows so I could then read books. Instead I'm on the computer, writing about my panties and girly boners and quoting movie lines and song lyrics, and doing God knows what else and things I don't want you to know about.

I've picked up a few things along the way during the last year. Wanna hear some of them? Yeah? Ok. Here goes:

  • There's never a bad time for a little Neil Diamond. Ever. You can't argue this point because you know it's a fact.
  • My husband, who I'm positive reads this blog and has for almost its entire run, will continue to stay quiet about it. Hello, mister! Keep those hands limber. You never know when the nipple tweaking will strike again!
  • Always take a moment and think about what you want to be called when choosing a name for your blog. By the time you get a couple comments, it's too late to go back.
  • Sometimes, I've really got nothing beyond the BOOBS!
  • Other times, it's just about the sex. But I mostly drop that on other people's blogs.
  • The remainder of the time, I'm pretty sure I'm just here to amuse myself.
  • I'm quite easily amused.
  • I hope you're amused from time to time, too. I worry about these things. It's silliness, really.
  • There's no right or wrong way to do this. If you've got thick skin, it helps.
  • It's probably not logical to immediately think "Hey! This would be perfect for my blog!" in the midst of a family crisis, when bleeding is involved, or immediately post coital. However, I'm guilty of all that and more.
  • Figure out your own voice and just write that way. If you ramble, then ramble. I love a good ramble.
  • It's humbling and gratifying to discover how helpful people you've never met can be.
  • I'll never understand code or HTML. Ever. And I think YOU think it's cute to watch me squirm.
  • My blog roll is imaginary and right there off to the left of this entry. You're all on it.
  • FTN is like a tractor beam. There are days when I think most of my readers, silent or not, are directed here from his place.
  • The world is teeming with Grease fans. Those who find my blog by searching for "Rizzo quotes" or the lyrics to Hopelessly Devoted to You will be going to war with the Dirty Dancing brigade who also regularly find my blog through various searches for "baby, oh baby, my sweet baby, you're the one." However, my money is on the people who come here just because they think they'll find me naked and/or engaged in a threesome with some bizarre animal/human combo. Naked and dancing dirty with an ape to Hopelessly Devoted to You. People so rock.
  • The power of the penis is mighty. Seriously. If you have one, you hold the key. If you don't, you may find yourself doing a tribal dance honoring it without even realizing what's going on. I'm just saying. How do you think I started blogging in the first place, eh?
  • I like to write. I hope you like to read what I write, but if you don't, that's ok. If you want to see me on the back of a book jacket that you'd pay money to buy and then stalk me because you want my autograph on it, even better. I could use the money. And the attention.
  • There's nothing necessarily wrong with writing your posts in all lowercase letters. Nope. Not at all.
  • I'm a fan of the wordy. Shocking, I know.
  • The posts you think will get the fewest comments will garner the most.
  • Always appreciate but never take it to mean you're great when your comments start to rise. I'm not great. I'm just some girl sitting in my basement, typing a bunch of words. That you comment and say nice things in regard them is flattering and I really do appreciate the kindness you've shown me here and in chats or emails. It's you who are great.
  • Yeah, big secret. I'm not always just sarcastic and snarky. What are you gonna do about it, eh?
  • I like the sound of my own voice. I mean, just the one I hear in my head all the time.
  • There will be giggling. And a lot of snorting.
  • I love the people I've come to know here. Not Buffalo Bill, "put you in a pit in my basement" kinda of love. I'm not creepy, and I know it's creepy to go all "Oh, I love you. And you. Oh, and especially you!" But I think most of you know what I mean. Additionally, I miss those who were regulars here and had to, for whatever reason, depart blogging.

Sincerely, thanks to all of you who pass through here daily and leave comments and banter back and forth with me when I have something new to say. I do hope there are a few nuggets in here that entertain you. You've all certainly entertained and charmed me, in many varied ways. That you've put up with me is most gracious. Thank you for giving me this year.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Happy one year blogiversary!

You can put me in you pit! Just make sure you send Precious down to keep me company.

I am so glad you were not a one and done! You know I love you, my sweet MILK!

fmthor

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:29:00 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Happy Anniversary to you!!

Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:20:00 AM  
Blogger Rug's Bug said...

Happy Blogiversary!! I love you too.. ;-)

Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

I see how it is. Beat me to the anniversary post by a day. Sure. So that's how it's gonna be, eh...

Speaking of Neil, I turned on my heartlight in the middle of the night when I needed to go to the bathroom last night. But the bulb had burnt out. Stupid heartlight.

I was waiting for a sarcastic line after "FTN is like a tractor beam." Something along the lines of "...because he SUCKS." That would have been funny.

The image of you naked and dancing dirty with an ape to Hopelessly Devoted to You? Stuck in my head. Not only have you killed roller coasters for me, but also Grease and anything involving monkeys. So, thanks.

I'm doing a tribal dance honoring my penis as I type this. The lady that just walked by from accounting doesn't seem very impressed.

You may be increasingly frightened of HTML, but I bet there is at least a fancy header graphic out there somewhere you could slap on your site. It involves shoes and I hear it's quite artsy.

I'd get all emotional and sappy for your anniversary, but the blogging rules require that I wait until your 2nd anniversary to do that. Instead, I shall sum up my feelings in an emoticon.

:-/

Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:27:00 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Happy Blogiversary! I loved the Buffalo Bill clip..I'm always going around the house saying that to my kids when they don't do something I asked them to do "it rubs the lotion on it's skin it does this whenever it's told" it creeps them out and gives me a good laugh. Love it.

Speaking of luv...aw man! I love you too! but not in a Buffalo Bill kinda way ;)
STAcie

Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:52:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I have a confession. I didnt actually click on the Buffalo Bill link until I read Stacie's comment, and then I had to watch it. Creepy. Now Im going to be nervous all day.

Happy Anniversary! Im totally in love with your blog and I like you okay too :P

Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Happy Blogiversary, DKG! Alas, I never made it to mine, but don't cry for me, Ardent Tina. . . it's better this way, it really is. . .

And, just in case you were wondering. . .

I am the Keymaster. . .

Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Lys said...

Congrats on your year in blogging! Definitely enjoying the writing!

Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary!
Found ya through Heather and love your site... looking forward to reading more and catching up. Hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna link ya?

Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger Phyllis RenĂ©e said...

As one who just started reading your blog, I'm glad you kept writing. You bring a smile to my face and at times I laugh right out loud, despite the fact that I'm usually at working. Happy anniversary!

Oh, and is there some kind of zodiac sign for bloggers who began in September? Just wondering, since I'm a September blogger too.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 'versary. And now that you've made it thus far, it's time for you to 'fess up. Are the rumors true that FTN is your blogger-hubby or are you just leading him on?

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

HAPPY BLOGGERVERSARY!

One of your comments really stood out to me: The posts you think will get the fewest comments will garner the most.

That is the truth. Some subjects I think will get you all riled up, and 24 hours later all I hear are crickets. Other topics that I think are no big deal get everyone worked up.

And to echo xi, we want the truth! (we can handle it). I used to think you and FTN are actually the same person, but now I know that he is just your work wife. Or something like that.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Oh, and regarding your 'tag line' at the end (it says 'Labels', but you don't really use it as a label, do you? C'mon, admit it! You don't!) -

I know what you mean. . . (altho, honestly, I know what I mean; I'm not so sure I know what you mean, if you catch my drift. . .)

(nyuk!)

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Nan - It's all brightness and light, my sweets. Knew it from the beginning. Will always have your back. And not because...well, you know.

Love you, too!!

kimmyk - Thank you a ton!

Rug's - Thank you! Love all around! (um, do you still love me even though I just realized I still owe you a post?! Ha! Life...geez...ha!)

ftn - This is paybacks, homes, for all the times I've sauntered over to your place, looking to relax and get my sex talk on, only to find you've ran with some idea I've had stewing in my head!

You keep saying "image of you naked" and people around here are going to think you've actually seen me naked. Which, I suppose, is plausible, for it appears we are secretly married. A royal marriage, if you will. You have your palace and I have mine. This is probably good, seeing as how you're dancing around in honor of your penis so often.

That header thing (that's a sitcom quality transition right there, mister!) will work for me. With some tweaks. After that, I'll have to put it back in your hands outta fear I'll lose this whole blog.

If you ask, I'll sing Greased Lightening instead. Because your emoticon charmed me.

Stacie - I love you, too, in a totally not Buffalo Bill way. Though I can do a good Buffalo Bill. If you want. But probably not.

Heather - Aww! So nice of you. I like you ok, too. Let's start out nice and easy and it'll probably turn into love when the time is right, ok?

Desmond - My friend, thank you. You've always been worth a smile or six to me. I miss your blog, btw, but I'm glad you've made this place a stomping ground!

Lys - Thank you! And thanks for the comment. Always nice to see new people stopping in!

Sue - The same applies to you, too. Thank you! So kind of you to link, also. One day, after my blog husband schools me, I'll have that all going!

Phyllis - Many of the blogs I have been readign awhile seemed to have started in September. I think there's some mandated code out there. Or just the luck of the dare I drew. Thanks for your kind words here and at your place. You're very kind. May I suggest you look really, really busy at work so the laughter doesn't become an issue. I don't want to be responsible for any reprimands you may get!

XI - Me!? Me leading FTN on? Oh, I think you've got it the other way around, mister! He's lured me with his movie quotes and his Neil Diamond and his papier mache.

Besides, wasn't that podcast enough evidence we're too different people? Or was the overall lack of talking I did, what with all the giggling, a poor key to determine that? Like maybe he was covering something up?

RS - I suppose the question should really be posed to FTN, my apparent doppleganger. Would he even want my hand in fake blogger marriage? You all think I'm this nice and sweet and BOOBS! displaying all the time. Ha! Silliness!

Desmond - Are you going all double entendre on me there, mister?! If so, rock star. Applause. I'm *sure* I've not made it clear my love of the Double E. (yeah. right!)

Actually, my labels sometimes say a heck of a lot more than my posts ever do. My own little "story behind the story" if you will. A way to say what I want to to no one in particular (ha, and I reallly mean that last part).

Friday, September 14, 2007 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger FindingHeart said...

Happy anniversary.

Funny how we become attached to the readers of our blogs and feel some 'saddness' when they leave the blogosphere. I'm cutting back and feel incredibly guilty in doing so.

Oh, and you are 'wordy'? Nah!!! ;)

Friday, September 14, 2007 2:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The giggle is the bait, the BOOBS the hook, and the double-e the rod and reel to pull 'im in. No worries, though, as I'll not be warning any unsuspecting catches. Pssst- he's already in the net ...

Friday, September 14, 2007 8:27:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Which fine, quality Hollywood film describes me (I mean "us")?

Fight Club

or

Doppelganger?

Friday, September 14, 2007 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

FH - THank you! I'm still reading you, of course, but wow, I got a touch of the head spins on that recent post of yours! I keep checking back, though!

And I'm kinda wordy. Words scare some people. Hopefully not you. I have a tough time with the shorts.

XI - Um, I'm thinking of using that first sentence you sent as the tagline of my blog. Seriously.

That, or if I open a chain of theme restaurants such as a Hooters, it would make a nice Tshirt!

FTN - First, way to rock the Speed quote, my friend.

Second - I'm TOTALLY going "Fight Club," but which one of us gets to be Tyler Durden and the other The Narrator?

Project Mayhem, baby!

Friday, September 14, 2007 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger Crazy Computer Dad said...

FDKG,
Happy blogiversary! Thank you for sharing! Seriously. I ran across your blog several months ago when I needed some inspiration. I've found that here and in a number of other blogs I found off of here. You are a great writer, as are all of the other bloggers I read, and I am particularly finicky about what I read. Sorry I have been unplugged for the summer, just too much going on. You rock, keep it up!

Friday, September 14, 2007 4:22:00 PM  
Blogger Ruggless said...

Bob Wiley said "There are two kinds of people in the world those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. On every road trip that last more that ten hours. the fifth hour into the trip needs to have some neil.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 10:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By all means, use it! I would be truly honored to have something I wrote immortalized in such a way ..

Saturday, September 15, 2007 6:33:00 PM  
Blogger Edtime Stories said...

Happy blogaversery?
I always love reading you when I have time to think.

And of course always hoping for a glimpse of the rack ;)

Saturday, September 15, 2007 7:38:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

CCD - Thank you for your kind words. That you found anything here that may have been of any inspiration is humbling to me. Seriously! Glad to see you back posting, too! Your summer seemed to have been quite wonderful. Wishing you good things for the remainder of the year and beyond!

Ruggless - "So what you're saying is that even though you are an almost paralyzed, multiphobic personality who is in a constant state of panic, your wife did not leave you, you left her because she loves Neil Diamond."

Sigh...love that movie...

As for me, when given the chance, we're busting out a little "Longfellow Serenade" around hour 3!

XI - making notes...making notes. Would this be like having your words engraved in granite for the ages? ha!

Ed - Ah, dear man! Thank you for every kind word you've ever given me, here, there and anywhere. You've full on made me blush a number of times with your kindness. And I'm sure the rack blushes, too. The world awaits it's debut! Applause for keeping that faith since early on!

Sunday, September 16, 2007 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Late to the part (as usual) but...

Happy Anniversary!

Monday, September 17, 2007 12:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, perhaps even beyond that. Bits and bytes linger whilst granite slowly crumbles. Or something like that.

Monday, September 17, 2007 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Chag - You're welcome to the party any time you wish to show up! Thank you!

XI - Once again, you school me, my friend!

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home