...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, March 13, 2009

you know how rock radio stations have silly names for the days of the week? well, I dub this 'thuck you, thursday!'

So a couple weeks ago I was suffering from an acute case of the zombie virus. Perhaps you remember me writing ("I think she means 'whining,' you say. Ha ha! Good one, you!) about it. Oh, it looks like I wrote about it a few times. Nothing like beating a dying zombie corpse, eh? Anyway, I've really only been over the virus for about...wait a minute...let me check my watch...I'd say close to 45 minutes, but guess what, party people?

Yep. My Tool Man came home from another Mysterious Midwest Tool Job last night and was all, "Wah, wah, wah! I'm sick AGAIN," and if you're keeping score at home, you'd note that this is the THIRD time Tool Man has been sick in the last two months. Also, it's amazing that you'd know that because Tool Man is not jotting down his deepest and darkest on a blog of his own, and when I crack my knuckles and pound out these masterpieces, I like to make it All About Me, so I may have only wrote of his maladies one time when I mentioned my raging jealousy that he actually got real medicine when he visited the doctor, whereas I got nothing (and in return may have left a small damp spot on the tissue covering the exam table because, once again, let me shame myself by mentioning my cough-induced incontinence)(seriously, the only shame I have left at this point comes when I dance around the house to The Motels song of the same name).

So tonight, while Tool Man's nose dripped iridescent bubbles of snot and he moped about (seriously, people, be glad Tool Man doesn't have a blog because if you thought I was a weenie when I was ill, you've not yet worshiped at the feet of the master), and I settled into the indented couch space that sighs happily upon my return, we ate frozen pizza and caught up on the last two episodes of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (I have no idea why still, either). About 20 minutes into the action (and I use that term loosely, because this show? YAWN!) Tool Man paused the action to remark about how confusing it must be to be John Connor (we often talk of fictional characters as though they are real), what with all this need to keep straight what's going on with Future John versus Present-Day John, and, once I told him to shush because Brian Austin Greene was actually in the particular episode, I then went to kiss him (Tool Man, not Brian Austin Green, but fingers crossed for one day...)(and I didn't kiss him because gah! THE SNOT!) because FINALLY Tool Man understands what it's like to be me while we're watching this or any other science fiction program where time travel is involved, wherein "me" means "confused."

Except for when I'm watching LOST, though, because I've been watching that show since Day One and Tool Man started watching it for the first time during the middle of last season, and he claims to "get it" and know just what's going on when the lights flash and someone's nose starts to bleed, whereas I pretty much know I do not "get it," but I absolutely refuse to admit that to him because I'm irritated. At Tool Man, not LOST. I can never be irritated at anything that gives me this (aye, ya be a fine one, Desmond).

Back to the couch....

After I asked Tool Man to stop with his mumbo jumbo scary future talk, he passed me a box of delicious jaw breakers to share (feel free to inject something about how perhaps our highly processed diet of late is contributing to the illness going around the place)(then kindly leave m blog, Mom). I popped about five of the tiny orbs in my mouth at once, and Tool Man immediately warned me to be careful. "I know they're not as big as they used to be, but you have to know what you're doing," he said. I rolled my eyes and, though it was difficult based on the two very huge openings (that's what she said!) he gave me to take this conversation into, and opted to keep quiet.

That is until he added, "GobStobbers can be dangerous."

"Honey," I smiled, "I've stobbed a few gobs in my day. I know what I'm doing."

I also didn't tell them they're actually called GobStoppers, because I've learned from experience that when you're dealing with a man who says he's eating a sammich at the libarry, it's just best to pick your battles.

Ah, contented sigh.... What a night!

"Um, but where's the part where you have dubbed today 'Thuck you, Thursday!'"?" you're asking.

Thanks for reminding me.

Thursday was supposed to be a fantastic day, and yet it was a few GobStoppers short of being excellent. Here's why:
  • Remember last Thursday when my Dad had surgery? Well, we learned this Thursday morning that Tool Man's Dad was in the hospital and had experienced what was later determined to have been a series of small strokes. He's home now after a day spent getting additional tests indicated nothing further...except for another damn lesson in Things About The World That Are Crappy.
  • I totally George Jetsoned my way to work today, as I do each and every Thursday - completely on autopilot, but minus the assistance of robots, because, as I mentioned earlier, I'm still watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and I have reason to believe we shouldn't really trust those made of metal - and when I get there to discover they don't want me there. Oh, no they don't. They want me there Friday! I DO NOT WANT TO BE THERE FRIDAY for I am spoiled. But guess who stayed and worked their four-hour shift today anyway? And guess who made (sit down for this!) $40 today because she's so dedicated and was already wearing her sensible work slacks anyway? And guess who has to go to work on Friday?
  • And while you're at it, guess who got called "he" and "him" for an hour by a really grabby toddler while SHE was scanning and shelving books? Here's a clue! If she could have, she'd have responded by saying, "Listen, little bub, I got $40 of new bra on that proves I'm not playing the Crying Game, kapeesh?" (that $40 of new bra was why she went ahead and worked her unscheduled shift because sometimes you have to sacrifice).

There's probably more about Thuck you, Thursday! that irritated me, but I just climbed into bed with a totally hot chick (like I'd share Tool Man's germs...he's snoring downstairs on the couch) and I need to cap off this day.

Besides, it's Friday now.

Labels:

33 Comments:

Blogger Backpacking Dad said...

I had a pretty good Thursday.

Held my last section of the quarter.

Sat through my last seminar of the quarter.

Skipped my last Latin class of the quarter.

Had my last Caesar salad with more garlic in the dressing than I've ever had before, of the quarter.

And now I'm watching The Song Remains the Same and all is right with the world.

Sorry yours was such crap, though.

Friday, March 13, 2009 1:10:00 AM  
Blogger Zip n Tizzy said...

Is the $40 bra part of the self lovin' you've got going on?

Sorry to hear about Tool Mans dad now!

Do be careful with those dangerous gobstobbers... you guys don't need one more person in the hospital.

Friday, March 13, 2009 1:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with dancing to the Motels.

Just sayin'.

Friday, March 13, 2009 5:14:00 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

sorry to hear about Tool Man's pop. Man oh man that's a rough week really. Two days in 7 days in the hospital....I hope both are doing better.

And crap get Tool Man some vitamin C. He totally needs to delouse that car of his too. Seriously. And continue sleeping on the couch, especially with his all "I get it!" for a show I still have yet to "get" and dangit! I too have been there since day 1. WTF CHUCK!

I need a new bra. It's on my agenda for the weekend. My underwire on Tuesday (which if I'm being honest is the last day I put one on...being home alone all day and wearing sweatshirts really doesn't require one to harness the girls) anyways, Tuesday...yeah, bout punctured my right lung with my underwire. Oh the pain!!

Have a great weekend!

Friday, March 13, 2009 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

EDIT/
When I said "Two days in 7 days in the hospital" I totally meant....

TWO DADS IN 7 DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL...

it's early yet and my fingers aren't awake.

Friday, March 13, 2009 6:34:00 AM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Sorry 'bout Tool Man's dad, that's rough. You're getting careless with your parental units over there, maybe they need some gobstoppers too. I know that suddenly I do...

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:02:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

Middle Child awoke with a snotty nose, scratchy throat and headache. I'm not looking forward to round 2 of zombie virus either.

Now here's what I wanna know - Did OUR Desmond get his name from that guy? Cuz I don't watch your Lost show, but that guy is hawt! (and this will be a good test to see if Desmond reads the comments)

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:04:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good post, heading towards greatness in the last paragraph.

Sorry to hear about Tool Man's Dad.

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:26:00 AM  
Blogger Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I went shopping for clothes for vacation and started tanning. Over all, I guess my Thursday didn't suck. But now it's Friday and I have to work....that sucks!

Hallie

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:27:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Oh, Desmond SO reads the comments. And thank you, luv; thank you for noticing my fineness. Altho, you might wanna keep it down, just a bit, where Molly might hear ya. . .

You're not foolin' me with the whole 'cough-induced incontinence'; I know you're just markin' yer turf at the doc's office. . . ;)

And yeef; Id've thought the KAR would be a very large (sorry) clue that you ain't exactly a 'him'. But, ya never know, I guess. . . And gosh, {one shift of work} = {one bra}? I'm tryin' to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. . .

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger Chasity said...

I quit nursing just over a month ago now, and yet sadly am still wearing the uninspiring nursing bras because alas, I can not locate a sugar daddy to provide the dough for new ones. Do you happen to have Brian Austin Green's number?

Friday, March 13, 2009 8:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I hope both dads recover nicely!

Friday, March 13, 2009 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Continuing to send good thoughts to your dad, and now Tool Man's. And also to Tool Man. Come to think, sounds like your menfolk just generally need some health to come their way.

I may shamelessly steal "Thuck You" for Friday, since not only is it the 13th, this begins the Ides of March, which has traditionally been a terrible stretch for me. And, you know, Caesar.

Friday, March 13, 2009 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger DKC said...

My Dad recommends gin to get rid of any ailment. But he says you have to drink it straight, so I don't know if you want to listen to him.

I love a new bra. Although, they always give me the false hope that they will somehow transform my girls to the perkiness of pre-children. Which never happens.

Friday, March 13, 2009 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Booms said...

I've pretty much told this entire week to stick it - and when I woke up this morning to find out it was Friday, the 13th, well... It seemed so obvious.

Hope Friday is better, otherwise? Your title will totally not be work friendly.

Friday, March 13, 2009 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin McKeever said...

I can't remember what I was going to say now because the word verification your blog gave me is "cotang" and I can't decide whether that's a new type of powered orange drink or a come-on for a threesome. I'll e-mail you proof of this.

Friday, March 13, 2009 9:38:00 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

I am going on week 2 of the English Mutant Virus. I now have an ear ache, stuffy nose, floaty head feeling and a slight head ache. You always get worse before you get better right??

Friday, March 13, 2009 9:48:00 AM  
Blogger kaila said...

Somehow I have managed to stay virus-free for -dareIsayit?- about 20 months now. I know, I know, don't be hatin'. I do get migraines though, so that about kills me for a few days and makes me want to die.

Healing thoughts to both Dads.

Friday, March 13, 2009 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Christina Lee said...

hehehe "sammich at the libarry"
umm, ok now, DESMOND???? that is who gives you the hots on the show??? Are you forgetting the long haired blong god that also looks pretty darn good shirtless?????

Friday, March 13, 2009 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

and all this time , I thought Gobstoppers were everlasting....

Friday, March 13, 2009 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Yeef; I'm such a churl. And all the moreso, having just lost my own mother. . .

{{{Hugs}}} for you, and sympathetic sighs of relief that your dad is doing better. And may he continue so to do. . .

I'd offer hugs to the Tool Man for his dad, too. If he'd take 'em from me. But I'll still send up a prayer or two, hugs or no. . .

Friday, March 13, 2009 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

And shouldn't it be 'Thuck You Thurthday'?

Friday, March 13, 2009 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy said...

Well, thuck it all! I pray that you don't get Tool Man's cold, and enjoy the puppy snuggles!

Friday, March 13, 2009 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

You may as well stop watching Sarah Connors. It's supposedly getting canned.

Friday, March 13, 2009 6:56:00 PM  
Blogger Brian o vretanos said...

I can't help it, but I always worry when Helena is eating boiled sweets, though admittedly I've no idea how many gobstobber related deaths and injuries there are every year.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:14:00 AM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Thursdays have been horrible lately. Just horrible.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:06:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

If you think your thursday was bad you should have seen mine... wait.. yours was much worse; much, much worse....

bumbot (my word verification for this little entry)
I swear these verifications will soon evolve into actual words.

In Diffy I lust....

Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:11:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Brian Austin Greene still has an acting career?

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Hope that your FIL pulls through without any trouble. Keep us updated!

Also, I must know; did you actually click the post button at 12am or did you change the post time before you clicked the button? Because that's pretty amazing.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should really get yourself a tiny Sammy Davis, Jr. clone to be your autopilot. I love mine. He makes life so much more interesting.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:28:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

BP Dad - I am jealous of your Thursday, even with the raging garlic breath.

Zip n Tizzy - That $40 bra was a long time coming, so I'm going to be giving it all the love. They're like gold around here!

TwoBusy - No shame at all. In fact, to quote Billy Joel, I'm shameless in that respect.

kimmy - I blame Tool Man's petri dish of death on all the hotels he stays in during the week. Blech. And I had to quit buying underwire bras for the very reason you described. Last time I had one like that, I was at work and it shived me in the lungs when I reached up to shelve some books. Thought I would die!!

kimmy - my fingers are never not tired...which sounds like I mean something else, but nope. It just means all of me is always tired! ;)

Sailor - If we can keep a parent healthy and out of the hospital this week, I'm claiming victory!

Cocotte - We'll see if our Des claims he got his name from LOST's Desmond, who is, indeed, insanely hot...

Chris - First, I thought you meant the paragraph where I pulled a great 'Crying Game' pun, but then I saw you meant the part where I told everyone I was in bed with a hot chick, so yeah... ;)

WWoW - Yeah, but soon you're on vacaction, so your overall days ahead are fantastic!

Des - I KNEW you were a good comment reader! And as for the one shift = one bra thing? Yeah, that is not cool. Especially when we actually need groceries around here.

Chas - If I had Brian Austin Green's number, I'd definitely ask him to call you after he and I finished up our business call!

Under the Influence - So far, all Dads seem to be progressing nicely. Fingers crossed!

legallyblondemel - The men in my family might need to consider running off to some men's retreat for a month and focusing on their health. Or I need to go to a spa. I think I like that idea better!

Dana's Brain - A new bra is not only a boob lifter, but it seems to be a spirit lifter, too, and I definitely needed some spirits lifted!

Betsey - Here's hoping this week is a better one, oh, but wait! I have PMS now, so yeah, so much for that... :)

Always Home - I think 'cotang' is definitely a code word for a threesome invitation. At the very least, it definitely has possibility as a 'safe word' when you want out of the action!

Kat - I definitely felt like I wanted to die before I ever got better, and then even after I had to wait it out. I hope you're soon on the road to recovery!

kaila - I hope you knocked on some wood after typing that virus-free confession! Sorry about the migraines. I've been getting those a bit more than ever this year, and it concerns me (and also makes me feel like I want to die for a day or so).

Christina Lee - Oh, I have no beef with hunky Sawyer. Oh, no no no. Especially when he's shirtless. However, it's the accent...

Swirl Girl - I thought they were everlasting, too, but not anymore, which is good, since I couldn't stop eating them!

Des - Thank you for your good wishes. The Dads seem to be doing well (knock on wood...)

Des - I gave that wording option some thought, and forgot. I'm exhausted by the time I write these!

Petra - The puppy is definitely my best friend. I think she knows us girls around here need to stick together, and she is constantly by my side.

Heather - I'll likely stick it out to the bitter end, but I won't weep if it is, indeed, cancelled.

Brian - I'm more concerned for myself when I eat toast and non-sweet foods. I should just probably eat gobstoppers for every meal and give up real food!

Aunt Becky - I suppose sucky Thursdays is the real reason why people say 'Thank God it's Friday!'

Savage - Bumbot is a word with such varied use potential.

Chag - Oh, trust me, David Silver has grown up fine... :)

iMommy - My FIL is home, thankfully, and was out taking his daily walks the next day. Fingers are crossed for good health. As for the timestamp - I TOTALLY did post it at midnight! No lie! It was just before I turned out the light to go to sleep!

bejewell - I need my own brain crooner!!

Monday, March 16, 2009 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger MereCat said...

"scary future mumbo jumbo" That's what I call it, too. It's AAAAALLLLL we can talk about and I'm bored. Time to stop driving towards the flames.

I hope you don't get more funk. You should be totally immune by now, I would think.

Your word verification there says "crochys." Seth ought to like that one.

Monday, March 16, 2009 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

MereCat - My hope is that the scary future mumbo jumbo talk will wind down when Battlestar Galactica ends on Friday, but, knowing my dear husband, he'll just find something else to hook him in when he's channel surfing.

And Seth likes anything that sounds sort of like 'crotch'!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home