...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

the kid's alright

Today my gorgeous youngest son turns six years old. Perhaps you know this already. His daily countdowns culminated today with an exuberant cheer of "TODAY IS MY BIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRTTTTTHHHHDAAAAAAYYYY!!" Complete with a vibrato. It was, to put it simply, impressive. If your windows shattered this morning around 7:50 a.m. Central Time, I apologize.

It also made my heart simultaneously swell and then burst. I've been doing what any parent seems to do as they watch their children get older, and that is toil in my basement after their bedtime to built a time freezing machine. Thank goodness my husband works for a large scale tool manufacturer. I think I'm close!

As has become a tradition on birthdays in my house, we jump off the age of the birthday person and then share that number of things we love about them. When I turned 40 in November, I expected to be showered three-fold by love and adoration from my sons and husband. Seems they peter'd out around 18. Nice. But I'm not bitter. And, OK, this post isn't about me. It's about this amazing boy I'm lucky to know. I know you all haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, but you've gotten a little hint of what he's like in some posts scattered here and there, so I thought I'd share my list of six here. Because honestly, at some point, I don't doubt this kid will find my blog, and well, maybe he'll find this post heartwarming. Like I imagine he will when he gets to that one where we discussed Hummers and what a little devil I think he is. To remind him it's not all made up letter games and crazy drawings, I share six things I adore about my youngest son on his sixth birthday:
  • Everything is exciting to him. Everything. Every morning he opens his eyes and gives me a smile is a day when he expects to learn everything and explore everywhere.
  • Snuggling is not yet taboo for this boy. Out of nowhere, he'll creep up on me and nest in under my arm for a rare quiet moment. He's rarely not talking. Can't imagine that his capable legs are also designed to stop moving. But when he stops to take that breath, sometimes all he needs is a hug. This is, in part, why I need to put a rush on that time freezing machine.
  • The way he still finds some words difficult to say properly. No matter how often we work on it, he still pronounces "pattern" as "pad-u-when." I make him say it over and over again because it makes me smile. However, now that I think about this, his insistence in saying it as he does may really be his way of affirming his love for all things Star Wars.
  • The 12 times he'll stop and turn around to wave at me each school day as he walks from our house to the corner to meet the school bus. Each wave is shared with a smile and what I like to think is the thought "I'll miss you, Mama, and I love you, too. Try not to miss me too much. I'll be home soon."
  • That at any moment, he will toss up the rock hands, and knows the lyrics to everything from "Blitzkrieg Bop" to "Vertigo". To say I'm proud would be an understatement, and the rock hands never, ever fail to make me smile.
  • How proud he is to be able to read, which has fed his insatiable appetite for reading and listening to stories. As a "book kid" from way back, to see his eager face when I celebrate how well he's done sounding out a word that seemed impossible to him the day before makes me want to cheer. I hope this interest never wanes.

There's so much more that captivates me about this boy, of course, but now I have gifts to wrap and a chocolate cake to get decorated. In the end, I want the world for him, but for now? Now I hope he remains as happy and excited about his life as he is today, and announces his place in the world as boldly as he did this morning as he trumpeted his birthday to all of us.

I'm sure he'd also tell you he was sorry about those broken windows, too. Because not only is he loving, but he's also compassionate.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger FTN said...

A very happy birthday to him. What a great kid. Save some cake for the rest of us. What'd you get him for his birthday?

My 6-year old says "pattern" the same way, strangely enough. Kindergarten is all about talking about patterns. Actually, she usually says something like "patter-in," if she gets the r out.

I'm waiting for the one time you post about your kids, and your heart DOESN'T swell and burst. My heart was only slightly swollen last night, while my son was crying tears on my shoulder as I held his hands while he sat on the toilet, screaming for hours because he was so painfully constipated.

I didn't want to write any more about POOPS! on my blog, so I just thought I'd use yours. Sorry.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

What a great post! Happy birthday to your boy!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Well, Happy Birthday to yer boy! Hey, MY youngest is almost six, too. And he never stops talking, either. Hey, you're not Molly, running a blog you're not telling me about, are you?

Oh, yeah. . . the KAR thing. . . OK; you're not Molly. . .

And, just because I missed it earlier, when I was cracking wise about the possibility that yer hubs worked for Snap-On Tool - I've always thought that there would be certain, uh, intangible benefits to working for Ridgid Tool, too. . . (Aw, man, I can't believe I said that on a post about a six-year-old's birthday. . .)

And, you don't really want him finding yer blog, do you? 'Cuz, like, our teenagers cover their ears and go all 'LALALA' at the merest hint that the folks are doing anything remotely sexy-sexy (I'm kinda wondering where they think they came from, the way they carry on about it. . .)

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger cat said...

Seems I start my birthday off the same way as your son with a loud declaration of it being my birthday. We must come from the same tree somewhere in the past. ;)

Happy 6th birthday to an awesome sounding guy from an old 32 year old kid!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Happy Birthday to my future son-in-law (if you believe in arranged marriages, ha!)!

After the last slice of cake, run down and work on that time freezing machine would you!?!?

Awwwww, melt. :)

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:14:00 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Happy Birthday to your little sweetie...he's a rockin' kid! How could he NOT be? He has a rockin' Mom!
Stacie

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:58:00 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

awww this was so sweet and heart warming.
i miss the days when my kids especially adam would come and snuggle with me for absolutely no reason than to just be near me. i miss that. abbie she still snuggles me up and i love it.

i hope he enjoys his chocci cake and his big play date.

how sweet. man time flies. i know my kid was 6 once, but honestly, i don't remember him being 6.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:42:00 PM  
Blogger Sugar Kane said...

Happy birthday to your sweet little one!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Happy Birthday to your littlest man! This is a sweet tribute.

BTW, Now I feel very inadequately prepared for my tiny one's 3rd b-day on Friday!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, i love it!! great tribute to your son! happy 6th birthday to him!!

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:11:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

FTN - We hooked this little dude up right with an Escalade and an American Express gold card. I don't expect we'll be seeing much of him as he works on getting his rap career off the ground.

My heart does swell and burst a lot around these kids, doesn't it? Huh. Well, you should see what it does when I'm talking to you!

btw - Get this! My six year old shares his birthday with...Neil Freakin' Diamond!

Coincidence?

I think not.

Chuck - Thank you! He had a great day and the new toys scattered around the living room seem to indicate his wishes were met!

Des - Curses! You've figured me out. I AM Molly.

Ok, not really.

Because of you, ever time I see a Snap On Tool truck, I chuckle. As for the Rigid thing. Um, you should see the inventory of my garage.

Cat - Happy birthday greetings to you! Did peole have to sing "Happy Birthday" to you upwards of 23 time? Because we did that! Does someone scream "cha cha cha" during each line of the birthday song? Because my kids freakin' love that. By the time we get to the cake, it's nearly burned from the candles!

Nan - I look forward to years and years of celebrating our childrens' birthdays (and anniversary!).

Whether they like it or not!

Stacie - Awww! I'll remind him of that! I am proud to know that his "rock hand" skills are the result of quick tutoring on my part!

kimmy - Time freaks me out! I'm gonna work on keeping this one snuggling with me for as long as possible. Even if that inludes duct tape and fighting him against his will!

Sugar Kane - Thank you! He had a great day and wore his birthday crown with pride!

Bunny - Aww! I hope your now three year old has a wonderful, wonderful day!

Katie - Thank you! As I type these, he's sitting on the living room floor, in the dark, playing away with his new stuff!

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:27:00 AM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Happy belated birthday to the little guy! Hope it was a wonderful day- which, I'm confident it was, 'cuz he's got a great mom.

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

A birthday crown! Cha-cha-chas! Sounds like your family does a birthday up right.

Friday, January 25, 2008 8:53:00 PM  
Blogger Biscuit said...

Happy Birthday Mom! I think we deserve as much celebration as the children.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 7:02:00 PM  
Blogger Summer Rose said...

I have to agree with biscuit, Happy Birthday to the both of you.
S.R.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:33:00 PM  
Blogger Lipstick Jungle said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!


I am one of those "cant get enough of my boy" moms too. My guy turned 5 in October, and he is still a cuddler. Tells me "I want you", and says he "loves me more than daddy". He also comes into my room every morning and curls up with me in bed. It makes me never want to leave. And that smile...

Oh wait, this is YOUR post, sorry! Hijacking here!

Hope his day was grand!

lo

Sunday, January 27, 2008 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your little guy!

Sunday, January 27, 2008 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Hey man, where's the new post?

Ok, moving my ass off the couch now.

Monday, January 28, 2008 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Sailor - Thank you! He had a great day, and leftover chocolate cake worked wonders on easing that "day after" letdown!

Melissa - The cha-cha-cha's really nail the birthday thing, hardcore!

Biscuit - Oh, definitely, and in such a case, it was a perfect day!

Summer Rose - Thank you, dear!

justlori2day - What a sweetie you have! Love to hold onto this phase for as long as possible!

Chag - Thank you! He had a great, great day!

Nan - Hey man, check that stuff out up there! Damn, man! Have u ever seen anything like that, man?

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home