...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Monday, January 25, 2010

one little boy, one little man



My youngest son is my shadow. When we are joined again following a day apart, I am honestly struck by how much I've missed him. When I ask if he missed me, he'll say no, but the way he edges closer to my side and smirks gives him away. We'd be fantastic partners in crime if we weren't such horrible liars.

Instead, we are dance partners. Dinner has been late more than once because we've decided it necessary to break down some sweet moves to Mr. Roboto while the sauce boils over. The kid loves the classics, which explains why Baby Got Back is currently his favorite song to sing, although his fascination with Beyonce's Single Ladies remains steadfast, his love of Lady Gaga's Poker Face is growing, and The Black Eyed Peas' I Got A Feeling is a constant hum coming from his bedroom each night.

I'd willingly slay dragons for this boy. I'd also happily sit with him for hours and spin stories of a dragon that shoots glitter rather than flames from his beastly nostrils, or listen to one of the myriad of tales he's nearly bursting to share with me by day's end. "And then..." he'll tease, forcing me to the edge of my seat. "...he puked and it had so many brown chunks in it, every kid in the lunchroom could tell what he'd had for breakfast that day!" Not every story can have a happy ending!

My son arrived in this world very, very quietly in front of a very, very large audience looking so exactly like his older brother when he was born that I actually demanded a different baby. Of course, I'm glad the team of medical professionals tending to him ignored me because I'd have missed out on the magic this child has brought to our house. His audience was large on the day he was born, and it's only grown since. So has his once quiet voice. Today, my youngest bursts into rooms and commands the floor. He's a song and dance man, a puller of funny faces, an impeccable mimic and a willing practitioner of my personal favorite habit - adopting an English accent at random times. I've little doubt he's going to be the best (and perhaps right quite proper) firefly in his second grade class musical production of Bugs! next week. I've also little doubt he's going to tire of me singing that Fireflies song every time we practice his lines.

To quote from that song, I'd like to make myself believe that planet Earth turns slowly, but that's impossible to believe. If it were so, my son wouldn't suddenly be 8 years old. Thank you for the stories, the scenes, the songs and the dance steps. Thank you for starting each day with smooches and ending them with cries of "I said good day, sir!" Thank you for tagging along with me.

Happy birthday, sweet shadow boy.

Labels:

39 Comments:

Blogger Kate Coveny Hood said...

He is darling and this was lovely.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Brian said...

What a cool kid. Must come from good stock, eh?

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

What a nice tribute to your beautiful boy! Happy birthday buddy!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:27:00 AM  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Awfully sweet.

Happy birthday, kid. Here's hoping that tomorrow people won't have the opportunity to see first-hand what kind of cake you're having tonight.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger steenky bee said...

Oh happy birthday little man! Do you know you have the coolest mom in the universe? She'd do anything for you just so long as she didn't miss a Jonas Brothers moment on the tv. My son loves all the same music you do, but I have yet to introduce him to Mr. Roboto, the song your mom cleverly coined as a "driveway song".

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Chasity said...

What a wonderful Birthday tribute to your little guy.(Happy Birthday to you, little man) My oldest turned 8 in December, and I found out last weekend he has only 10 inches left to grow before he's every bit as tall as I am. Between that and knowing my days of open affection with him are most certainly numbered, it makes me want to grab onto him with a mama sized bear hug and squeeze him till he pops, or until I can find a way to make time stop, whichever comes first.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I hope he breaks a leg in the play...or a wing...or something,

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Oh what a great tribute to your little guy. Happy Birthday to him and a Happy Birth Day to you!!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Happy Birthday to yer boy!

8M still has four more months of seven-dom, but eight is bearing down hard. . .

And you gotta love the 8-year-old British accents, dontcha?

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

What a great, thoughtful reflection on your birthday-boy. Happy B-Day, to him! Congrats, to you, for getting him this far, as well.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger KriskropMemories said...

Wow what an amazing post that was. My oldest is turning 8 in April and I can totally understand a lot of the feeling in your post.
I look at him somedays and he seems like he is getting too mature too fast and then other days when he wants to cuddle it's ike my baby is back.
Happy 8th birthday!!!!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:27:00 PM  
Blogger Zip n Tizzy said...

Such a sweet post for such an awesome guy.

Happy Birthday Superman!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:19:00 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

What a dear post for a dear boy!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Pammie said...

I hope your son has a wonderful birthday. You really said some amazing wonderful things that only a momma could think of. I hope he can read these words when he gets older and can appreciate the magic you spun saying those things.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Christina Lee said...

How precious is this post???

Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:33:00 AM  
Blogger Sarahf said...

What a beautiful post. He sounds like the kind of kid that's fun to be around.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:14:00 AM  
Blogger Aunt Juicebox said...

Aww, Happy birthday! I'm curious though, what DID the puker have for b-fast? Brown chunks....of sausage??

Isn't Poker Face about something pervy?

Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your son. He sounds like quite the kid. Enjoy him while you can, which I'm sure you do. Happy birthday, Mini FADKOG!

Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

What a little sweetheart he is. Happy Birthday! What kind of cake is he getting?

Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Happy Birthday to your baby! Amazing how fast this planet turns isn't it?

Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Posts like this make me so excited for what the future holds with my little boy. Thank you for this. I can't wait!

Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:50:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

The ladies will never have a chance....

Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin McKeever said...

This was a beautiful piece of writing. Have your boy call my daughter in about 8 years, will ya?

Friday, January 29, 2010 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger Leandra said...

Dang girl! I haven't been by here in a while (sorry 'bout that -- promise to do better!) and the first time I stop by you make me cry.

Don't you love it when your kids love the same music you did? I love to watch Bubba breakdancing to the Beastie Boys.

Friday, January 29, 2010 2:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Bejewell said...

Superman, indeed. Happy birthday, cutie!

Friday, January 29, 2010 9:13:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

Awwww! He's adorable! I hope he had a happy birthday!

Also, don't listen to Kevin. Have your son call my niece in a few years.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:39:00 AM  
Blogger Carolyn...Online said...

Oh my gosh, what a sweet birthday love letter. I can just hear his little British accent!

Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Any YouTube posts of the two of you doing Mr. Roboto?

Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

happy birthday to one endearingly awesome 8 year old. he sounds like he rocks the world. there is a certain mischievous and joyous perfection in a happy 8 year old boy!

oh and in answer to your last post, in spite of my extreme lateness(since life has been kickin my rump) yes, i did miss you because you make me smile and laugh and we all need that.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Happy Birthday to your son!!!

Monday, February 01, 2010 11:09:00 AM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

What a sweet post! Happy Birthday little guy!

Monday, February 01, 2010 1:56:00 PM  
Blogger MsPicketToYou said...

and thank YOU for making me cry... the GFYO has been up in my GRILL for a week now. today he was done from 8 until 5. i almost knocked him over when he came through the door.

Monday, February 01, 2010 5:03:00 PM  
Blogger Sherendipity said...

very nice.

Monday, February 01, 2010 8:18:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Thank all of you, on behalf of my son, for the birthday wishes! He had an awesome day filled with chicken strips, french fries, video games and his requested butt (bundt) cake. Basically, it was just like every day for him, but there were presents. Hooray!

He is such an awesome kid, and I very much appreciate your kind words.

p.s. - Oh, no, no, no, nope. There is no YouTube video of us kicking it in our kitchen. That cultural void is my present to you all.

Monday, February 01, 2010 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger The Stiletto Mom said...

So sweet! Happy birthday to your son!!! He's very handsome and sounds like quite the personality. The offer to speak about an arranged marriage with my 8 yo daughter is still on the table btw. :)

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

My lil' dude and I are currently bustin' a move to Lady Gaga!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Maureen@IslandRoar said...

What a beautiful tribute!
Sorry to be late with my wishes, but Happy Birthday to you both!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Sweet in the best way possible. Happy Birthday to him!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

He sounds like one sweet kid. Hold on tight because before you know it, he'll be grown up and gone. Sad but true.

Friday, February 05, 2010 10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home