...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Monday, February 01, 2010

he loves me when i'm right, he loves me when i'm wrong, he loves me when i waste my time by writing silly songs

My church is in the middle of a 24/7 prayer event. What that means is all last week and continuing through this Sunday afternoon, there's someone at our ministry center who is praying continuously. Typically, those of us participating sign up for a one hour block to spend time in worship and praise.

I've had the opportunity to spend three different hours there so far, and while I'm not here to get preachy on any of you, I must say that walking into the rooms set up for the event is so incredibly humbling that I typically spend the first 30 minutes of my time overcome with emotion that often results in me crying. The walls of each room are covered in paper and visitors are encouraged to write prayers and praise for all kinds of things. It's also a way to unburden one's heart. Marriages, healing, relationships, children. People write about all that and more, and by the end of these 14 days, every inch of the walls will be covered. Reading the words can be just as heartbreaking as it is inspiring.

I could honestly go on and on about this particular event, but that's not the gist of this post. Neither is the fact I wrote an incredibly long-winded (shocking!) and soul-ripping anonymous note about some things weighing heavy on my heart on my first visit last week, and the responses that have been left, while awesome, aren't quite the words I thought I'd get. Yes, they're awesome, but they're not relevant to the particular pain. So here's a tip from me to you - if ever you find yourself penning an anonymous tale of woe and misery and sort of begging for help, don't capitalize the word 'he' every time you use it, which I did purely because each use was at the start of a sentence. Sometimes 'he' ain't talkin' about the Big He, kapeesh?

But an English lesson isn't the gist of this post, either, so onward! I'm a very young Christian. I've only been attending church regularly for the last 10 years, and, to be honest (because the Big He tends to prefer me that way), there's a lot I still need to learn. Let's just say that, were I ever to end up a contestant on Jeopardy! and Alex Trebek welcomed us with a game board all about the Bible, I'd probably mutter "Dammit!" (but not "God dammit!")(fist bumps, JC!) under my breath and then respectfully bow out. Because of all this and a few other things, I sometimes wonder if Jesus loves me. Like really, really loves me. I'm pretty sure he'd check the box marked 'A' if I passed him a note asking "Do you love me? Check yes or no!" during prayer time, but sometimes I crave a definite sign, so I keep searching, and OMG! I think I may have actually found it last weekend!

My mom gave my youngest son a burned copy of The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel soundtrack for his birthday, and he was the happiest child in the world when he ripped the wrapping paper off to reveal the gift. Me? Not so much. I may not hear God every time he tries to speak to me, but I think if I was listening as intently as I probably should some times, I'd hear him say, "Listen, I'm as tired of that Single Ladies song as you are. Do we really need to hear it sped up and squeaky? Nay, I say. Amen." God, however, must have been marveling in the little children on this particular day, because in his glee, my son called a halt on opening the rest of his gifts and grabbed my hand to take me upstairs to play his new CD on his boom box. Hooray!

Poised to start twirling around his room as soon as the rodents starting singing You Spin Me Right Round, my son urged me to hurry up and push play. So I did. Then he begged me to turn up the volume. So I did. Did a choir of heavenly angels flood the room? No. Neither did the dulcet tones of Alvin and The Chipmunks. We tried a few tricks to try and make the cd play before giving up and taking it down to the kitchen to play on the cd player there. Again, no sound came out. It also didn't work on the living room stereo or out in the minivan. The cd was a complete dud. It was then I realized God totally has my back! Even though I didn't directly pray my son not bring any chipmunk music into the house, God saw fit to grant my unspoken wish!

God is, indeed, good! Yahweh? Oh, no. No, no, no, my friends. Yahoo, I say!

p.s. - I think the reason the cd didn't work is because my mom burned a copy rather than buy the commercial release and that? Well, that pretty much counts as stealing, and we all know God frowns upon stealing. Sure, it's pretty low on the list, but it's there nonetheless. My mom is a heathen.

Labels:

35 Comments:

Blogger bernthis said...

i saw that movie. I even wrote a post about it b/c I wanted, and still do, my 89 minutes back.

Yeah, there is a God in YOUR life

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

He certainly works in mysterious, and AWESOME, ways.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:05:00 AM  
Blogger Christina Lee said...

Wow that sounds POWERFUL!!
Aah the squeakquel--I couldn't stand the first one and still haven't seen this one! that would drive me bonkers!!!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Cheryl said...

Keep your eyes open and you'll see miracles are everywhere.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:20:00 AM  
Blogger lime said...

holy screeching rodents, that's all the proof i'd need of god's love!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:43:00 AM  
Blogger Divine Chaos said...

my daughter has a burned cd of a variety of music that she turns on every night before bed. some of those rotten chipmunk songs are on there. sometimes she forgets to turn it off when she leaves for school ..and I have to listen to it all day because there is no way i'm venturing into the black hole that is her room, which would be taking my life into my own hands.

sometimes, I ponder locking the door and leaving her outside as punishment ... but then I realize that someone has to get in that room to MAKE IT STOP.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:59:00 AM  
Blogger Sarahf said...

He really does work in mysterious ways, doesn't He? What a shame He allowed the movie to be made in the first place.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:24:00 AM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

I'm generally more of an agnostic myself...but this new miracle may start to sway me!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

So your prayer room is like post secret?

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is certainly a miracle! That prayer thing sounds very, very interesting. I'm glad you got to be a part of it, even if your woes were slightly misinterpreted.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

Surely it was a sign from above when that CD didn't take.

The prayer thing? Our church will have those every once in a while, but it's only for one day. BUT people stay for the entire 24 hours. I just can't get on board with that!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger The Stiletto Mom said...

It's totally a sign that the Big Guy loves you! Anytime you can be saved from annoying childrens music? That is divine intervention my friend!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

(*shuffling feet from side-to-side*)

. . .

(*sigh*)

OK, Here's where I confess to you that. . .

(*deep, anguished, heartfelt sigh*)

. . .

I LOVE the Chipmunks.

Not so much the new, Gen-Y rappified Chipmunks, but the ones I grew up with back in the day. In fact, this year for Christmas, I got my kids a Chipmunks CD. (I just barely resisted the urge to get them this one, but you know, even us philistines have our limits) (So, knowing that I'm a philistine, please don't hit me in the head with a rock from your little slingshot) (even tho I might deserve it)

(Did you catch the Biblical reference there?)

And listen, just between you and me, one can be a Christian for 40 years or more, and still have a LOT to learn. So this I've-got-a-lot-yet-to-learn thing? That's actually really good. Just sayin'.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the best stories. EVER.

But now you know that the means. He is expecting a large tip on Sunday. Hook a brother up!s

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl said...

Just was over at TT's place and saw that you wrote that your son is listening to the cd. What the heck happened? Did you go out and BUY one for him? It's unwise to interfere with universal plans; the entire house of cards could come tumbling down.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

an I get an Amen!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

Can I get a Can while I'm at it (and an additional question mark)?

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:00:00 PM  
Blogger Brian o vretanos said...

Presumably you'll find a full description of Digital Rights Management somewhere in Leviticus if you look hard enough ;-)

Comic (divine?) word verification: snestpie - I wonder what that's made of...

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Bejewell said...

Oh, shit. Please don't read my blog this week.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger JennyMac said...

Now that is divine intervention. LOL.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Sounds to me like the Big Guy is on your side. I say take it wherever you can get it, no?

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Excellent stuff, Pastor FADKOG.

Somewhere in the Bible it talks about "making a joyful noise unto the Lord." This we all, including the Almighty, can agree that Beyonce as rendered by the Chipmunks may count as noise of the non-joyful variety.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger That girl from Shallotte said...

A little child shall lead them miracles!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:18:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin McKeever said...

The Squeakequal was the first sign of the Apocalypse. Just sayin'.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Aunt Juicebox said...

It's always the little things that turn on the light bulb.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:54:00 AM  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Still waiting for the denouement, where your son is so heartbroken at the dud CD that you're forced to go out and pay CASH MONEY for a brand new, working copy.

Squeaky payback is a bitch, y'all.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:48:00 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Yea, tell mom not to steal and supply a real one next time.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger 願望 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, February 05, 2010 2:17:00 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Saved indeed:)

Friday, February 05, 2010 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

Alvin and the Chipmunks is yet one more reason to question whether there is indeed a (capitol) he up there.

And that the cd didn't work is yet another reason to believe there is.

Friday, February 05, 2010 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

There is a God and SHE loves you! Count your blessings!

Friday, February 05, 2010 10:13:00 PM  
Anonymous A Vapid Blonde said...

Do you speak japanese or chinese? I am dying to know what that comment says up there.

Also, we had this wood shed in our town that was part of an art installation fotor a while that people went in and left notes. Most of them were really beautiful. Except the one I got involved in. You had to add one sentence to a story and well I brought it into the gutter. I am good that way. I am pretty sure JC gets a kick out if all though.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:11:00 PM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

On the upside: your mom actually knows HOW to burn a cd, and that's something.
I still kid my mom about knowing how to navigate the internet.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:36:00 AM  
Anonymous オテモヤン said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, February 08, 2010 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

As I had to admit to my friend TwoBusy up there, my son's disappointment in the CD forced me to use my own cash money (money I should probably have used for a weekly tithe, but whatever) to buy him a copy of that crazy CD. I am weak but He is strong...sigh...

(p.s. - That damn Chipmunk cover of Katy Perry's Hot & Cold isn't that bad.)

Monday, February 08, 2010 8:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home