...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

check this hand 'cause i'm marvelous

So. Well. Here we are. Not much's going on around here, which is nice, really, because that means more room for my simmering bad mood and overall sense of 'meh' that's been hovering around like a spirit unwilling to cross over these last few days. Or maybe it's been weeks? Months? Suffice to say it's been awhile.

But I don't want to burden you with my sad trombone, friends. Instead, I've decided to compile a list of things that make me forget the time(s) I've been far too 'woe is me' lately. Before I do, though, I feel I should warn you there are a few things on here that might compel you to make fun of me, so just let me remind you to be gentle, m'kay?

M'kay. Here goes. For no one's pleasure other than my own:
  • Jimmy Fallon's Emmy opening number. I seriously can't stop watching this. See also 'freezing the picture on Jon Hamm.'
  • A tub of Cool Whip, a spoon, and some alone time. To eat directly from the container, sickos! What did you think I meant? Listen, what you do on your own time with a delicious non-dairy whipped topping is your own business.
  • Constantly being peppered with 'Would you rather...' questions by the guys I work with. When faced with the choice of bending my fingers backward and rendering them broken once a year, every year, or purchasing a bag of spicy Doritos and using one to scoop my own eyeball out, I always choose the annual broken fingers.
  • Just Dance for Wii. It's sweaty, loud, ugly, and potentially deadly, but if you want to bring it 'Wannabe' style, I have just two words for you -Bring. It.
  • Season 4 of 'Dexter.' Holy hell, this show is so fantastic (aside from the Batista/Laguerta romance, which, yawn)! Sure, even though, thanks to the Internet, I knew how things ended, I still gasped. Yes. I gasped.
  • Speaking of the Internet (and strangers and friends and amazing people outside this little box), did you hear about Cure JM?! After a roller coaster ride on the final day of voting for a Pepsi Refresh grant, they topped the choices for a $250k grant! Kudos to Kevin and his family for their tireless efforts, and thank you to all of you who voted!
  • (pssst - have have the urge to do some more harmless Internet voting for a good cause? My friend the weirdgirl and I hope you'll consider supporting her community's efforts to rebuild their elementary school, which was destroyed by an arsonist's fire. I know, right? Please visit her to learn how you can help. I have. It didn't hurt at all. Do it. Please?)
  • 'Talking To Girls About Duran Duran' by Rob Sheffield - Get thee to a bookstore and buy this one, OK? Don't just grab it off the shelf, find a comfy chair, and then camp out all day reading it for free. You'll be cheating yourself and possibly annoying those of us who work at bookstores. I'm not kidding. Especially about that annoying bit. Seriously. Would you throw your feet up on that coffee table, stuff your hand down the front of your pants and then maybe take a 2 hour nap in your own house? You would? Well, OK. Can you just do it there and not where I work, though?
  • Cutting 10+ inches off my hair. TEN! MORE THAN! The last time I cut more than 10 inches of anything out of my life, I told that guy I was getting married the following Saturday and maybe it would be nice if he'd quit calling me already.
  • My dear best friend who, when she finally saw me for the first time after this major hair transformation, told me I could pass for 19.
  • The fact that I'll never, ever, ever have to be 19 again. Even though I may or may not have made out with above mentioned best friend after her declaration, which may or may not have been something I would have considered exploring at 19.
  • Mario Badescu Drying Lotion for killing the giant bald-headed man who emerged from my chin this week and was all, "Hey, whassup?" and I was all, "Um, my nose? Which you clearly have a bird's eye view into?" I'm a pretty, pretty princess.
  • (now if I could only use it to kill the chin zit's accomplice currently residing in a Locale That Shall Not Be Named)(did I mention I'm a pretty, pretty princess? The prettiest!)
  • The fact that I wasn't killed in my sleep last night by the ghost of a 14-year-old girl who was murdered and locked away who now apparently exacts her revenge upon the world by brutally killing those who don't forward text messages about her while they slumber. Sorry, teenage boy who keeps texting me despite the fact I keep (stupidly) responding (in complete and correctly spelled sentences - a dead - heh, no pun intended - giveaway that no, I don't know him and yes, I AM likely old enough to be his mother. Of course, tonight's another night, so if you don't hear from me after this, it's been nice knowing you!
  • Did I mention it's nice how dark chocolate doesn't seem to go bad even after almost two years? And I wonder why I have a giant chin zit...
  • Hooray! Last year's jeans still fit!
  • Tomorrow, I'm going to spend the entire day holding a newborn baby girl. The entire day. Hours. Holding a newborn. I'm probably going to spend at least two of those hours plotting a way out of the house with said newborn girl undetected, but you didn't hear that from me.
  • 'Camp Rock 2' premieres Friday night (um, yeah, have we met?!)!! I predict some alone time in my future (with or without Cool Whip)!! Hush.
  • That Nick Jonas sure has come into his own lately...
  • I know. Relax. I'm forever a Joe girl. Woman. Old lady. Whatever.
  • Pecan Sandies. Seriously, I am SO thankful last year's jeans still fit.
  • Polite Fictions. Are you (please!) reading us there? Oh, I wish you would! There's some great stuff happening there as we round out our "What Happens After..." theme. I don't know what it is about this go 'round, but I've gotten teary reading every single contributor's entry. Even my own! It's like all my friends there live in my heart and are wrapping beautiful words around the voices I hear in my head. If you want to know the real me, go there. Please read! Please! No voting involved!
  • This clip from 'Phineas and Ferb':


This was how I was dancing (to, um, 'Come Sail Away.' So sue me) in the kitchen tonight when the boys walked in and discovered me. "She's sportin' major kinkification' may be my new mantra. And this? This is bordering manifesto territory, so I'll be going now, a little bit happier than I was when I started. Your results may vary.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger The Savage said...

Not only are you made of awesome, you are spectabulous and other made up words of the nifty sort...
Oh yeah.. I so lust you...

Friday, September 03, 2010 4:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

Oh SNAP! I had a zit on my twat the other day!

I mean, I know a girl who knows someone that heard about someone who did. One time. At bandcamp.

*ahem*

Friday, September 03, 2010 5:38:00 AM  
Blogger Leandra said...

Phineas and Ferb are just the best. I really love Stacy's Disco Miniature Golfing Queen song. Don't know it? Check it out! Stacy's got some killer moves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fobCIhk1rEE

Friday, September 03, 2010 7:31:00 AM  
Blogger Christina Lee said...

Oh yeah, Dexter-- a huge GASP!!!! And season five beings soon (now that we have Uverse we can watch it for reals, mon!)

Friday, September 03, 2010 8:46:00 AM  
Blogger TwoBusy said...

1. As Christina Lee noted: Season 5 begins on 9/26. Plan your life accordingly.

2. Also: YES. That finale was almost certainly the most jaw-dropping finale I've ever seen. Cannot wait to see how they work their way around it.

3. Awesome on the Rob Sheffield. Loved his first one; I'll consider this a reminder to pick up #2 as an anniversary gift for my wife.

4. PoliteFictions is indeed bringing the awesome again. Until I post next week, at which point the awesome will come to a crashing halt.

5. I love the detail of Spicy Doritos. Because, y'know, cool ranch might be okay, but the spicy ones... that's just way beyond the pale.

6. We've gotta free you of the sad trombones. More oreos?

Friday, September 03, 2010 9:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fritos Scoops are MUCH better for eyeball gouging. A little black bean salsa helps too.

Totally with you on the Pecan Sandies. Love 'em, but boy can they do some damage!

No picture of your new 'doo? We need to see if your BFF is telling the truth or was just trying to get you to make out with her. Pictures of THAT would be cool too!

Friday, September 03, 2010 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

Pecan Sandies are the devil. . .

Ten inches! HAH! I get it! (Say hi to Seth for me, next time you see him. . .)

And, uh, thanks for the mental image of the bookstore napper. . .

Friday, September 03, 2010 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

I thought I was the only one who ate Pecan Sandies??

Ok, FADKOG - get thee to a Target Store. Today, on an end cap in the toy section, I saw a BIG FOOT TOY MONSTER! The size of an American Girl doll! I thought of you immediately!

Friday, September 03, 2010 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I don't even know where to start - the results were invariably entertaining. Indubitably! I'm with you on Nick Jonas lately...

Friday, September 03, 2010 2:03:00 PM  
Blogger 1blueshi1 said...

I am so feeling you on the mehness of life lately. And just to completely lift my mood into fabtabulous, since the kids have a 4 day weekend, I decided to invite the neighborhood girls over for a cupcake party today. So not only did I bestow upon myself the PRIVILEGE of spending fifty bucks on supplies, I have also treated myself to an afternoon of "She got to pour chocolate batter before I did," "I didn't get to break an egg," "Lynda won't let Bridget sit on the couch," and, best of all, "Make her stop talking in my ear, her voice is too loud!" Delivered with heartfelt tears from the loudest & most obnoxious girl at the party. You know, the one that you hope in your secret heart of hearts won't show up, but you KNOW that she will, because that's the way your wonderful life works....

Friday, September 03, 2010 3:00:00 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I loved, LOVED the opening number of the Emmy's. I laughed my butt off! I thought the SHOW actually was great, and Jimmy Fallon did a great job!

Pecan sandies? Love 'em!

I'm behind on my Dexter series, gotta catch up, but heard last year's was PHENOM!

I wish we had a video of you doing that dance! Hysterical!

Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Homemaker Man said...

Freeze cool whip. Apply chocolate sauce. Rub tummy. Reject shame.

Sunday, September 05, 2010 5:46:00 PM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

Okay, okay. Let's see.

1. Worked the night of the Emmys. Still have to catch up. Look forward to seeing the opening number when I am home from this god-forsaken place (work) tonight.

2. I would never judge anyone's sweet love of non-dairy whipped topping.

3. Broken fingers. Duh.

4. Our Wii is still busted. But when it's fixed you best watch out!

5. *hangs head* Don't watch Dexter. Don't get the channel. Although I read the first book so that has to count for something, right? Right?

6. Woo-to-the-HOO! Those last few hours were crazy and tense - I'm SO happy at the results. We're no. 1!

7. Duran Duran book? So there.

8. Isn't there some way we can get a before and after shot? Dying to see the new do!

Wow - this list is long. I'm gonna skip down to Phineas and Ferb. LOVE THAT SHOW! "Whatcha doooooin?" is my new catchphrase.
What?

Kisses!

Monday, September 06, 2010 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

Oo I love Cool Whip too. So good.

The Jonas Brothers scare me. I don't know why. Maybe it's their hair.

Monday, September 06, 2010 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

i think i found my new theme song in that video. i need a serious haircut but not 10+ inches. did you donate yours?

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for non-dairy topping! Have you had the chocolate kind? Do they even make the chocolate kind anymore? It's delightful!

AND Pecan Sandies...yum. Love them, too. In fact, I support all of your food items on this list.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Bex said...

You had me at "A tub of cool whip and a spoon..." Literally, I walked away from the laptop, grapped my Reddiwip from the fridge (no time for a spoon) and went to town. Then I finished reading...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Just Dance for wii.

And Come Sail Away? That's not the Enya song right? I'm having trouble matching up the choreography.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Savage - Nifty things are, well, nifty.

Kelley - Girl...girl...listen, I think I heard about that one girl.

MadameQueen - The day after you send your comment about that clip, the episode aired on Disney. There was rocking going on here!

Christina - We don't get Showtime as part of our subscription, so I have to wait an antagonizing, Internet-spoiling year before I can bask in the fantastic that is 'Dexter,' and this past season has definitely set up the potential for greatness with the new one!

TwoBusy - Cool Ranch is for pansies. Fudge-covered Oreos are for the awesome. The sad, sad awesome.

bikinfool - Believe me, I tried to play the Frito Scoops angle, but the guys wouldn't hear of it. Said it would make the deed too easy. Too easy! As if!

Craig - I'm glad someone got it. And that? That's what she said. ;)

Cocotte - We are one in our Pecan Sandies passion. And I am striking out on my hunt, btw.

Bethany - Puberty was very, very good to that boy. Strike that. That young man. Yes, that makes it sound better when I think of him. :)

1blueshi1 - You are a saint among mothers. Seriously. I just hope you saved yourself a couple of those cupcakes!

Pat - I find the best videos of me involve closing your eyes and just pretending some goddess of beauty is flitting through your imagination. Usually she's eating Pecan Sandies. :)

Homemaker Man - You are a man after my own heart. My own artery-clogged heart.

justmakingourway - I know, right? Like I even would need more than a second to make my eye vs. broken fingers choice? Boys are crazy!

WhisperingWriter - Honestly, I fear pretty much anyone who has better hair than I do, and those boys terrify me in that respect.

lime - The haircut was a spur of the moment decision, and so I didn't donate it. Also, shhhh, but this red hair of mine don't come naturally (I know. SHOCKING!), so that would have impeded the gift. Maybe one day I can.

Meg - I don't know if they still make the chocolate kind, but if they don't they need to get back on that post haste!

Bex - I'm all about the Reddi-Whip, too. I appreciate how it cuts out the middle man that is the spoon. Plus, it's enjoyable while still dancing!

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home