...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

there's 76 days of summer vacation...

So the last day of school is Thursday. Actually, Thursday is the last day my kids will be attending parties while at school this week. They got their report cards last week, and this week has been nothing but make up time for the days we missed during winter. I don't seem to remember the kids having several snow days, but I guess what they say is true. You DO block out the bad stuff!

I'm pretty excited about this summer break. Between the bullying issue, a few middle school stressors (fist to sky, middle school! fist! to! sky!), and everything in between, we need a break around here. That's why I've declared this as "The Summer Vacation Where I Don't Tell The Boys No!"

(fireworks, explosions, crashing cymbols, parading animals, sky divers, hooray!)

Yeah. I see this declaration of mine lasting until about June 7th, so when you see a scrawled plea for help here, trust I'm not kidding, and when you're all, "Ha ha ha! Told you so!" I'll just nod my head in agreement. It'll be easy to do considering my body will be rocking back and forth as I'm huddled in the fetal position in a corner anyway (I think that's called centrifugal force. I should ask my middle school student son, but I fear what he's already forgotten this year)(and I could absolutely be wrong for my ability to retain information isn't what it used to be as evidenced by the fact I have to Google the recipe for hard boiled eggs every spring).

Care to know why I think my plan my plan to have "The Summer Vacation Where I Don't Tell The Boys No!" will likely backfire backfire before I ever really get it fired up? Take a gander down there at that Mug O' Awesome (which is what I wanted to name him, but my Tool Man said nope):

I KNOW, RIGHT?! Can you not feel the ability to bend things with your mind or simply melt from the sheer adorableness of that face as it washes over you?! Well, try living with that every day, people! It isn't easy! And the missing tooth!? Gah!!

So Captain I Only Play Evil When Woken Up Too Early up there comes to me the other night with a piece of paper and a pencil, plants his hands upon his hips, and asks, "Mom, fury is spelled F-U-R-Y, right?"

Please say you said furry, please say you said furry, please say you said furry...

But no. He definitely WAS making sure he was spelling fury correctly for what is apparently going to be either his memoirs or his manifesto, I'm not sure yet (and which makes me feel a wee bit 'well, that's just great!' as the mom who just got done reading Columbine)(which, seriously, READ THAT BOOK!).

So it's good to know all the spelling tests we practiced for each week during this first grade year have really paid off. Scripps National Spelling Bee, with your adorable finger pencil using, pleated khakis wearing, peach fuzzed lipped pubescent contestants, here we come!

But first, I get two more days to practice saying yes all the time (and as I think about it, I think that means ALL the boys in my house will have a happy summer). Take another look at that face up there. It probably shouldn't be too hard.

Labels:

39 Comments:

Blogger Mary Beth said...

I would not be able to say no to that face - thank god you're far away from me! You could send him into places and walk away with tons of loot. The Cherubic Bandit strikes again:D

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, the goggles just MAKE it!

Love the post label. Fine print!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Too adorable for words. :)

Hallie

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:33:00 AM  
Blogger Aunt Juicebox said...

That's funny because I was going to make this the summer where I say nothing BUT no. I need a flipping break. I will not be taxi mom all summer too.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Re: "The Summer Vacation Where I Don't Tell The Boys No!". . . Good Luck with that. . .

But I will say that I envy the Tool Man. . . (Uh, not that Molly says 'no' to me all that much, either; just for the record. . .)

And, hey, how did yer boy get 'fadkog' scrawled acrost his nose like that?

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had some firecrackers to set off when my fury sets in.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Badass Geek said...

I got started on my memoirs way too late. He should be right on track.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy toledo, where do I get me one of those? he's adorable!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Chasity said...

Oh. My. Those goggles are priceless. I thought about adopting your yes policy for my boys, but almost immediately began hyperventilating. I tried it on for size and it came out, "Yes, you surely canNOT." But then, my son has yet to unleash the goggles of fury on me...

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Brian o vretanos said...

You think you'll last until June 7th? That's impressive ;-)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger DKC said...

That is a very hard face to say No to. Still, I'm not sure I'm convinced you'll make it to the 7th!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

I'm seriously debating whether the chore chart thing is worth instigating again this summer. It was all so much easier when mine were cute as yours!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Pam said...

Go ahead and say "Yes", but make the goggles a requirement.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

I have come here at least 10 times to look at my kid's picture because, seriously, I want to eat his face like a wild badger! HE'S TOTALLY THAT ADORABLE!!

(he also often tastes like peanut butter)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Sammanthia said...

I've got the same plan, so let's plan on meeting over drinks (On Twitter, of course.) in another month or so. We're gonna need it.;)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger msprimadonna67 said...

How can you NOT just love that face in goggles?? I'm gonna try to be on the same 'Just Say Yes' plan this summer. We'll see how it goes...

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

I would make a deal with the kid-
you'll say yes as long as he keeps the goggles on. ( Betcha he'd still win)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Pgoodness said...

So cute!!

Maybe we could do YES days instead of a whole summer of Yes?? It might keep us sane!!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin McKeever said...

First, kudos on the P&F theme ref in the title.

Second, yep. I'd say your screwed.

See you in bankruptcy court or the nuthouse ... whichever comes first. I'll bring the frozen Snickers.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger TwoBusy said...

Goggle boy: "Mom, I want you to wear goggles just like mine. All. Summer. Long."

FADKOG: (long sigh, then) "...Yes."

Goggle boy: "Hooray!

FADKOG: (silently cursing stupid "summer of yes" idea)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

God have mercy on your soul!
There is very little that face would not be able to get away with!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 3:02:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

That truly is a Mug o' Awesome.

Aren't public expressions of not saying "no" to your kids akin to making a saucy gesture at the judgmental parenting gods? You, as usual, are my hero.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:00:00 PM  
Blogger The Stiletto Mom said...

Riiiiight...let me know how this pans out for you.

He is totally a Mug o' Awesome...what are your thoughts on setting him up with Miss G? She's pretty cute, you know...

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:04:00 PM  
Blogger Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy said...

I could totally say no to him all day long, although he is adorable. But I have developed a very high tolerance for cuteness as of late, since my intolerably cute little girl has turned into the devil.

I will pray for you.

By the way, this is my summer of saying NO all the time. Just sayin.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:49:00 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

What a fabulous face, there's no possible way to say no to that. So, I advise closing your eyes at every opportunity, when being asked "momcanipleasegivethecat
icecreamwhynot?"

Of course, you'll find closing your eyes works with the tool-man too, if for a different reason, while you're muttering "ohyesohyes"... or some such.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:12:00 PM  
Blogger Lawyer Mom said...

Aww, don't feel bad about googling hard-boiled eggs. I had to call my mom to ask how to poach one . . . when I was 42.

As for the rooster-crowed spelling bees, they would sure raise my "fury"! Mr. M thinks I'm omniscient (the word that knocked me out in 7th grade in the single elimination round). But until he hears it, I'm totally sleeping in.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Kate Coveny Hood said...

I love that he wanted to know how to spell "fury." I get a very Rushmore image from that. Get that boy a beret stat!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger anymommy said...

You are a brave, brave girl. I say no about 100,001 times a day. Also, funny, funny post.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger lime said...

that face is cuteness itself. please may i have a dose or two of that on a regular basis to counteract the adolescent misery of my house?

Thursday, June 04, 2009 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh boy this is going to be a long summer.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:23:00 AM  
Blogger Bex said...

it will be easy as long as your days are filled with exciting adventures and sweets galore!

i have total faith in your execution of the summer of YES!

or send them to texas and i will unleash them upon seaworld and later lull them to sleep with disney movies and pizza.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:48:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

No.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger bernthis said...

a whole SUMMER without saying no? I look forward to a whole DAY!

Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

He totally is THAT adorable. Which is why you should keep to your yes pledge for at least a week.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

I would be happy with a week of not saying no!

Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:32:00 PM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

I want to nom, nom, nom that face. Perhaps you should keep rabid Aunt Becky away from your baby.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:18:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

AWWWWWW! You tattooed fadkog on his face. Now that's love and commitment.

We didn't have the summer off since my mom worked the fields in the summer so we got to go to school almost year round. Yep. She owes me some yeses.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Zip n Tizzy said...

If he is not too sweet to eat!
And you say he tastes like peanut butter? Even better.

This is our last summer before the whole school thing sets in, so, I'm kind of in a similar position. Make it a summer to remember, and then Kindergarten, here we come!

Can't wait to hear of the adventures that befall you.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger That girl from Shallotte said...

Little boys like that one are nommy, squeezy little creatures of wonderfulness. That being said... good luck. :)

RHTS! LYLAS! 2 friends + 2 gether = 4 ever.

Why am I writing in your yearbook?

Friday, June 05, 2009 10:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home